Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to St Anton from Munich Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Off to St Anton next Saturday Very Happy
We arrive at Munich airport at around 10.am, pick up the hire car so hopefully should be on our way at around 11.am ?
Can anyone advise on the best route as to avoid the weekend traffic and any roadworks ?
Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
windythered, Try studying these sites this week

http://oe3verkehr.orf.at/

http://www.antenne.de/antenne/news/verkehr/meldungen_bayern.php

http://www.bayerninfo.de/vib/verkehr;jsessionid=E941EF35EEAAC89F6E188A0321E9944E

http://www.verkehrsinfo.de

The road works around Munich could be your biggest problem to be honest - A9 down to the A99, then round to the west (signposted Stuttgart, then Lindau) to pick up the A96 (Lindau and Bregenz). There is one section on the A96 where there have been some hold-ups but it is not showing up as a hold up on the traffic info today. Today is supposedly a bad day for travelling as the half term holidays are over in Germany and there are a lot of returning families. It has also snowed a wee bit causing slippery roads. This was the cause of the Inntal (A93) being closed for a while this morning in both directions!

If the weather turns bad it can also cause problems for getting around Munich, but once you are past there the only other place there may be problems is the Pfänder Tunnel near Bregenz.

If you do not speak/read German - look for the word STAU (traffic jam) and Baustelle (roadworks). The always give the info in the direction of travel so the first named town is the start point and the second named one is the finish point. Stockender Verkehr means slow or stop/go. Sehr fliessend means heavy traffic.

Have fun and stick to the limits as the Bavarian police have announced a blitz on speeding which means more cameras active and mobile units being around!

Sue

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue wrote:
... A9 down to the A99, then round to the west (signposted Stuttgart, then Lindau) to pick up the A96 (Lindau and Bregenz).

Many years since I drove this, but just out of interest, why would you head west rather than south-east (Rosenheim-Kufstein-Innsbruck) ?

Cheers, M.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mryder, um well actually... you wouldn't! Unless sitting in a traffic jam in the Pfändertunnel is your idea of a good start to a holiday! I would normally recommend going over the Fernpass, although at that time of day you might get caught in traffic there as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mryder, take a look at a map! Steilhang's suggestion is the shortest route, but at that time of day the chances of getting caught in slow traffic on the Fern Pass is pretty high. And there are no work arounds once you have committed to that route. I have been stuck on the Fern Pass several times in the ski season traffic as well as in summer. I have rarely had problems of any real length using the A96. These days I have to use the Kufstein-Innsbruck route as I'm now based between Rosenheim and Salzburg. I hate it - the money earner for ASFINAG and the Tirol government being the 100kph speed limit applied through out Tirol on the autobahn on "environmental" grounds! I have noticed that Salzburg is now also cashing in on the A10 between Salzburg and the Tennegebirge tunnels south of Hallein.

You use the completed western link of the A99 to link up with the autobahn that goes down directly into the Vorarlberg, then through the Arlberg Tunnel and you are in St Anton. Yes, it heads west out of Munich but then it goes south-south-west into Austria. It is generally the fastest route from Munich other than in peak weekends like the past couple when the Pfänder Tunnel is the bottleneck. No hold ups going into Austria there today, but about 5km at most coming out (End of the Bavarian and Baden-Würtemburg school half term and the last third of Austria.)

Why travel the length of the Tirol and also risk getting caught up in the worst traffic of the lot? Today for example 45km between Munich-South and the Inntal junction, then the A93 Inntal road was closed at Brannenberg going south and Kufstein going north, due to a bad accident somewhere near Oberaudorf. It took just about all day to clear it!

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get the train? Easy, quick and cheap Munich to Innsbruck to Anton.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, I guess we have all had our bad experiences! My worst ones have usually had something to do with the Pfändertunnel at the Austrian border! I always go via Garmisch / Fernpass. Time to St.Anton is about 2h15 for me, but I live just outside Starnberg these days. Now that they have built a bypass around Nasserein and they have built a tunnel through the mountain from Landeck to Flirsch the journey time is massively reduced. There is no way you can make it through the Pfändertunnel and back past Bludenz / Arlbergtunnel to St.Anton in anything like that time ( yes I do know that they have completed the A96 now )
Maybe from Munich Airport it makes sense to go that way. Don't know cos I don't often drive from Munich Airport!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know anything about the routes that Steilhang, and Samerberg Sue, are talking about but I do know that I would avoid the A12, A93 Inntal Autobahn on a Saturday if I have to travel in that direction during the day.
It's a two lane motorway so it quickly becomes clogged.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang, that's good to know about the improvements to the road around Nasserein and the Landeck bottleneck. I actually used to have more probs there on a weekend run that I switched to the A96 (also driving from Starnberg). Those improvements definitely make it a better route. But the Fern Pass will always put me off to be honest - had some nasty "events" with crazy tired Dutch drivers and LKWs on both sides at diferent times!

For someone coming from the airport and not used to driving on German roads, the motorway route is simpler to be honest, no oncoming traffic and no real navigational problems, just tick off a list of names in your head. I actually drive cross country to the airport from here to pick people up, but could never offer that route to a non-resident due to having to know the road and turnings involved! Never gets blocked either, just sometimes a bit slow behind the odd tractor Laughing

clarky999 is actually right, far simpler to go by train! But I suppose people who are used to the chaos and ridiculous pricing system of the UK railway system would not actually automatically think along those lines.

Do you ever use the A7 down to Füssen/Reutte? I've noticed it is constantly mentioned in the traffic reports despite the so-called bottleneck being eliminated by the opening of the last section.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info everyone snowHead
I'll have my Sat Nav with me and just checked the route it would take me, looks like its suggesting the A95 to the FernPass (probably the quickest ?)
The AA Route Planner is recommending the route Samberberg Sue has suggested, although this is longer it looks the easiest.
Guess i'll try to get my Sat Nav to take me this way Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
Do you ever use the A7 down to Füssen/Reutte?
No. The A7 to the border has only been completed recently, and apparently the Austrians havn't completed their bit yet, or I understood that they have no intention of completing it for whatever reason! Anyway it seems that the traffic goes charging down the A7 and then grinds to a standstill at the border so... rolling eyes
Anyway, it would just be another way of getting to Fernpass for me. Not sure it would be faster than driving through Garmisch! Hopefully they will soon start on the Garmisch bypass tunnel, and then things should get really fast Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
windythered, your sat-nav is giving you the shortest route, which the Fern Pass is. Black spots are:

getting round Munich - can be bad as the locals wake up and decide to take their cars for a walk, but not impossible
getting through Garmisch - on a bluebird day can be a nightmare where the A95 funnels into the B2 at Eschenlohe, then making sure you exit at the right point for the Fern Pass - signposted though.
Fern Pass - keep your fingers crossed. Could be a breeze, could be the proverbial nightmare!

The route planner one is giving you the quickest route I expect as that is usually the default setting on them. Black spots:

Roadworks on the A96 near Bad Worishöfen (long term but do not always cause problems)
Pfänder Tunnel - can be a PITA but was not too bad this weekend, which is allegedly one of the worst of the season. Next weekend the traffic volume should be lower.

Steilhang, that explains why I am always hearing it on the radio reports then! They all pile down from the north thinking it will be motorway the whole way, then grind to a halt at the border!
Do you really thing that the Garmisch tunnel will be completed? I thought it was a bit like the eternal saga of the southern section of the A99 - that will be delayed indefinitely while all the rich NIMBIES in STA and Grünwald block every alternative plan! We are having a similar sage here with the A8 widening from Rosenheim to Chiemsee (my section would be the Achenmühle to Frasdorf section!)
rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
mryder, take a look at a map! Steilhang's suggestion is the shortest route, but at that time of day the chances of getting caught in slow traffic on the Fern Pass is pretty high. And there are no work arounds once you have committed to that route. I have been stuck on the Fern Pass several times in the ski season traffic as well as in summer. I have rarely had problems of any real length using the A96. These days I have to use the Kufstein-Innsbruck route as I'm now based between Rosenheim and Salzburg. I hate it - the money earner for ASFINAG and the Tirol government being the 100kph speed limit applied through out Tirol on the autobahn on "environmental" grounds! I have noticed that Salzburg is now also cashing in on the A10 between Salzburg and the Tennegebirge tunnels south of Hallein.

You use the completed western link of the A99 to link up with the autobahn that goes down directly into the Vorarlberg, then through the Arlberg Tunnel and you are in St Anton. Yes, it heads west out of Munich but then it goes south-south-west into Austria. It is generally the fastest route from Munich other than in peak weekends like the past couple when the Pfänder Tunnel is the bottleneck. No hold ups going into Austria there today, but about 5km at most coming out (End of the Bavarian and Baden-Würtemburg school half term and the last third of Austria.)

Why travel the length of the Tirol and also risk getting caught up in the worst traffic of the lot? Today for example 45km between Munich-South and the Inntal junction, then the A93 Inntal road was closed at Brannenberg going south and Kufstein going north, due to a bad accident somewhere near Oberaudorf. It took just about all day to clear it!

rolling eyes

When I lived in Munich we used the Kufstein-Innsbruck route 'cos going W/SW was a nightmare.
As I said, this was many years ago (20+ in fact) so I'd assumed things might have changed. Hence the question.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, the Garmisch bypass tunnel is part of the plan for the 2018 Olympics. If they get it that is!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang, might be a big if after the snow problems in Creekside. The cross-country/biathlon racers seem to be in wading contests along some of the stretches! Definitely not Vancouver's fault, but maybe climate will become a more significant deciding factor in the future. Difficult to say really, I've seen Garmisch well and truly sinking under snow in Feb and also seen the daffs blooming as well some years!

Is this the Munich bid? Linking Garmisch, Königsee, Ruhpolding etc, so making it cheaper than starting from scratch à la Sochi?
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, yes it's part of the Munich bid. The Olympics have often taken place in places that have a dodgy snow record, including Innsbruck for that matter! I remember at the age of four or five standing at the side of the Innsbruck bob run and asking my father why it was all melted snowHead A while ago now!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy