Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's Curling

Poster: A snowHead
Just got this through
Quote:

Convincing Win For Women Curlers Against Germany

With Kelly Wood fully recovered and back on the ice today at second, the Great Britain Women’s Curling Team took on European Champions Germany this morning (Friday 19 February) and convincingly beat them 7-4.

Like Great Britain, Germany had won two from three and lie equal third in the standings so it was expected to be a close game.

The women made a confident start and forced the German skip Andrea Schoepp to make a few errors in the early ends. Some great shots were made across the rink, however with the German’s on last stone in the fifth end they scored two, to level the scores at 3-3.

Great Britain continued to control and indeed dominate the game and they patiently played their way through to the ninth end where they scored a three to close the game out. The tenth was an incomplete end with GB running the German’s out of stones to post a final score of 7-4 and a third win for this in form team. They remain in equal third place along with China, and now take on Japan this evening (Saturday 20 February 03:00 GMT).

A very satisfied Eve Muirhead said, “That was an excellent performance, very solid.

“We’re just taking every game as it comes and waiting for our chances and capitalising on the other teams’ mistakes.

“We stayed patient till the opportunity came in the ninth and we were really pleased to score three.

“The sweepers were fantastic on the draws.

“We’re enjoying it out there, playing well as a team and we’ve got good supporters out there too.

“We’ve still got a lot of crucial games to go though, so we’ve got to keep composed and keep patient and hope that the games go the same way.

Having really enjoyed the game Jackie Lockhart added, “The games are close till the very end, but I still felt that as a unit we were dominating and in control.

“This is about building momentum as we go through and this team is definitely getting stronger as we go along. We’re definitely stepping it up now.

Commending the team’s performance Team Coach Nancy Murdoch said, “We’re delighted. To see the girls go out there and performing – it was all about taking our technical game to Germany and just biding our time and eventually we played some fantastic shots.

“That’s the best performance so far but I think there’s more to come yet. There’s a belief in this team.”

Great Britain plays Japan next in this evening’s session.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure it was a convincing win. It was very close until End 9 when the Germans had a poor game and lost 3. Final score was a bit flattering to the GB women. The more I watch curling the more I appreciate it for strategy and skill (and the GB skip is quite tasty as well Smile )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, tasty team indeed.
This was a BOA news alert so it's going to have a slight slant onto it.
In the future I'll post the source. Smile
Funny enough I enjoy the teamwork and strategy as well, it does grow on you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Not sure it was a convincing win. It was very close until End 9 when the Germans had a poor game and lost 3. Final score was a bit flattering to the GB women. The more I watch curling the more I appreciate it for strategy and skill (and the GB skip is quite tasty as well Smile )

Don't go for that blonde-on-dark hair look though. Otherwise all I'll say is she's too young for you. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyph,
Quote:
she's too young for you

That's where your wrong, it's a case of "I'm to old for her" Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Womens curling in bikinis would make a great spectator sport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Japan Puts An End To Curlers Winning Streak

Tonight Japan put an end to the Great Britain women’s curling team’s winning streak, scoring 11-4 to win the game in the ninth end.

Eve Muirhead, Jackie Lockhart, Kelly Wood and Lorna Vevers had been in buoyant mood following an excellent victory this morning against European Champions Germany. However Japan produced their best performance of the tournament so far to cause an upset. Their whole rink had shots on target and Great Britain seemed unable to respond, despite some big shots by skip Eve Muirhead.

It was a steady start by both teams, but a three from Japan in the fourth end put them ahead 1-4 and it was left to Eve to claw back two with her final stone of the fifth end and the reduce the gap to 3-4 at the break. Japan kept the scoreboard ticking over and it took a spectacular raised take-out shot from Muirhead with her final stone in the eighth, to score a one and keep Great Britain the game. The Japanese skip Moe Meguro finished things off in the ninth end, throwing a big weight double take-out onto two British counters to remove the two stones and score a big five points.

A resigned Eve Muirhead said, “That us on three and two now, but we’re still not out of it, definitely not.

“It was just a few inches here and there that made the difference.

“The Japanese played very well out there tonight and we give them full credit for their victory.

“We just have to take the positives out of that game and move on to tomorrow.We have USA in the afternoon and we will be ready.”

The women go into their game against USA tomorrow still lying in joint third place with China.

Seems like Japan are on top form, win 5 at an end is very hard to come back against.
They are still in Bronze though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader wrote:

Seems like Japan are on top form, win 5 at an end is very hard to come back against.
They are still in Bronze though.

Just as a little pedantic point, they can't be "in bronze" since the medals are not decided by the positions from teh Round Robin.

They have to finish in the top four in order to reach the medal matches.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, correct my apologies, I am wrong and will go and wash my mouth out with a toilet brush. Embarassed

What I should have said was their current standing is in third place (equal now with China).

Rank Team W L
1 Canada 4 0
1 Sweden 4 0
3 China 3 2
3 Great Britain 3 2
5 Germany 2 2
5 Japan 2 2
7 Switzerland 1 3
7 United States 1 3
9 Denmark 1 4
9 Russia 1 4

Again that table lines up well in the preview screen. bloody PhpBB
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:

I've heard of bikini waxing, but frankly bikini curling is just weird.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyph wrote:
davidof wrote:

I've heard of bikini waxing, but frankly bikini curling is just weird.

Would the Brazillian team just use a very thin strip of ice down the middle? wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Upset By USA For Women Curlers

It was supposed to be a straight forward comeback for Great Britain’s women curlers today up against USA, who had only won one game so far, but it didn’t work out like that. In a controlled but close game, Great Britain lost 5-6 in an extra end, despite having had opportunities with last stone advantage in both the 10th and 11th ends to win the game.

A bitterly disappointed Eve Muirhead said, “We were in control of that whole game there and a few slack shots from myself let the whole team down.”

“One up playing the last we couldn’t ask more, we had an opportunity to win it then and even again in the extra end.

“I can’t say that the noise affected me, although they were making a racket. It was a poor shot by myself and that cost us.”

Talking about her last stone she said, “It was a very tricky line out there and if you were slightly outside that twelve foot line it would hang straight and if you were inside it, it would cut massive. It was a good weight but as soon as you let it go and it hangs up that line you knew there was no chance of it coming back.”

The experienced Jackie Lockhart added: “It was just an odd shot here and there that didn’t pull off. I thought we played a really good game, but we let them back in. Debbie (USA skip Debbie McCormick) had a game of two halves she didn’t have a good start to the game but she certainly found draw weight in latter half and that just made the difference for their team.

“That was a gut wrenching loss, especially for Eve and it will be difficult for her to take, but that’s the kind of thing I’m here for. I have been there, done it, had the wins and had the losses. We are all behind her 100%. We play as a team, we win as a team and we loose as a team and that’s the name of the game.

“Sometimes it happens. We are just going to pick ourselves up and come back out tomorrow.”

They must collect themselves for tomorrow morning when they play Switzerland. Normally a strong, experienced rink the Swiss have made a slow start to the competition with three back to back defeats, but are now finding their form with wins against Russia and Denmark, to lie equal sixth in the standing. Great Britain is now in fourth with three wins and three losses.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bizarrely I found myself watching this at at 1am in the morning I think it was because I was trying to work out if Eve Muirhead is worth a poke, not sure about the chav haircut but after assessing every angle in detail I came to the conclusion I would..... Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The commentary annoyed me a bit - up to now it's been "she's tough" "she's gritty". When it fell apart last night it was "the youngster's in trouble" "well she IS very young..." etc etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chrisdavis, if you see the video about the team they address that issue and said she was be best person for the captaincy even at her age.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, She IS tough and gritty - it's the commentators' 'youngster' I had the problem with.
ski holidays
chrisdavis, yep, as has been said in a lot of threads the commentators have been found lacking at times.
ski holidays
chrisdavis,
Quote:

The commentary annoyed me a bit - up to now it's been "she's tough" "she's gritty". When it fell apart last night it was "the youngster's in trouble" "well she IS very young..." etc etc

Sweeping (no pun intended) generalisation alert ! I guess you are referring to Steve Cram - well that's what you get for sending a summer runner to cover a winter sport rolling eyes
snow report
At the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, Cram (and Brendan Foster) mistook a less than attractive back marker in the womens marathon for a course intruder at the front of the mens race - funny as hell!!
latest report
Gsyfreerider wrote:

I was trying to work out if Eve Muirhead is worth a poke, not sure about the chav haircut but after assessing every angle in detail I came to the conclusion I would.....

chrisdavis wrote:

well she IS very young...

but I agree with Gsyfreerider Laughing
snow report
Swirly, Old enough - I would as well, very attractive even with the two-tone hair style Toofy Grin
ski holidays
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Strong Fight Back Couldn’t Save Women Curlers

Great Britain’s women curlers (Eve Muirhead, Jackie Lockhart, Kelly Wood and Lorna Vevers) were looking to return to winning ways today, against Olympic and European silver medallists Switzerland, but it was not to be. Giving away four in the fourth end cost them dear, and despite a valiant fight back they lost 6-10.

An experienced Swiss team, that had been returning to form over recent days, took control from that start. However the game only started to slip away from the British quartet in the fourth end, when despite being on hammer and requiring a fairly straightforward draw for one, Muirhead’s final stone fell well short and left the Swiss to steal four. 2-8 down at the fifth end break it was looking a long way back.

Some excellent shots in the seventh end, coupled with a mistake from Muirhead’s Swiss counterpart, saw Great Britain claw back three and give them a glimmer of hope, but it proved too little too late.

Skip, Eve Muirhead said, “It was a crucial shot the draw against four in the fourth end. Coming up short let us down there.

“We came onto a good game in the latter half, but too little too late. We couldn’t have done much more to get back.

When asked about the team’s progression in the tournament she added, “It is going to be tough to get back from three wins and three losses, but we can only take each game at a time and try and perform the way we know we can, like in the second half of this game.

“We are not down and out of it yet, we need to win our two games and rely on other results going our way.”

Team Coach Nancy Murdoch commented on the team’s performance, “Obviously we are disappointed, we gave them too big a head start and we didn’t get to grips with the ice or the stones in the early stages.

“We have to take a lot of heart out of their response from the fifth end, they came back fighting.

“We have to go out there and believe that we can win. We have beaten this Canadian team before.”

Great Britain now lies sixth in the standings with three wins and four losses. They play Denmark tomorrow (Monday) in their penultimate round-robin game followed by Canada on Tuesday. Denmark lie ninth equal with two wins and five losses, whilst Canada top the table with a clear five wins.

ski holidays
I'm going to have to watch this one with the sound down!!!
snow conditions
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Denmark Put An Untimely End To Women's Chances

For Great Britain’s women curlers (Eve Muirhead, Jackie Lockhart, Kelly Wood and Lorna Vevers) it was a must win game today against Denmark, to give themselves a fighting chance of making the semi final stages of the Games. Even then, they would be relying on other results going their way. But after a controlled and confident first half to lead 5-4, the errors crept in, the pressure grew and they were defeated 8-9 in the final end.

A bitterly disappointed Eve Muirhead said, “I am gutted with that. We had a good first half to the game with a lot of good shots made, but the second half we struggled here and there. I had a crucial shot on the ninth end that I missed, that put them two up, and at the end of the day these shots cost you games.

“Talking about her Olympic experience she said: “We havn’t had the tournament we wanted to have. We have worked so hard over the last year or so and to finish on a note like this at the Olympic Games is disappointing. There is so much I can learn from the experience. I will take the positives and move forward to more championships and further Olympic Games.

“Moving up to the seniors is definitely a big step, but it has to be done at some point.”

Talking about their final game against Canada she added,”It is going to be a tough game, but we just need to go out and play the way we know the way we can.”

Great Britain women play Canada tomorrow in their final round-robin game at 09:00(Tuesday 17:00 GMT).

snow report
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Great Britain Women Bow Out Gracefully

Great Britain women’s curling team was in the ‘last chance saloon’ today. They needed to beat top of the standings Canada and also hope all the other results would fall in their favour to give them a place in tomorrow’s play-offs. However it was a big ask, and they finished their Olympic campaign 5-6 down in an extra end.

For Eve Muirhead, Jackie Lockhart, Kelly Wood and Lorna Vevers it was also an opportunity to show just how well they can play on the big stage and to finish their Games experience with their heads held high. They started off extremely well and played a controlled and containing game, with the statistics showing just how well they were playing across the rink.

However a number of errors led to four steals for one, so by the start of the ninth end Great Britain were 2-5 down. They picked up two in the ninth end and Muirhead played a near perfect shot with her last stone in the tenth, forcing an error from Canadian skip Cheryl Bernard to steal one and level the match 5-5. With Canada on last stone in the extra end they took one to win the match and go into the semi finals in a convincing first place.

As it turned out, Great Britain’s fate had already been sealed by Switzerland, who beat Germany in the same session to secure their semi final place in fourth spot, joining Canada, Sweden and China.

Rounding up her Olympic experience Great Britain skip, Eve Muirhead said, “It would have been fantastic to end on a high against Canada today but it didn’t come off, although we played pretty well at times. It was a solid performance by us, but I missed a few crucial draws. I felt we controlled the game in the early stages and had our heads held high and fought for a two in the ninth end and took a steal of one in the tenth end to force the extra end.

“We didn’t want it to end here on three and six, that’s not what we were here to do and we did which is gutting. You feel bad, you feel you have let people down but at the end of the day it is just another championship.

“Hopefully for myself there will be many more opportunities to come. I have personally had the experience of a lifetime out here. It could be the only one, but hopefully there will be more.”

Shame but they were playing the favoutires and they needed other results to go their way Sad
snow conditions
chrisdavis wrote:
I'm going to have to watch this one with the sound down!!!

I couldn't agree more.

All that Banshee Screaming is annoying just like players Grunting in Tennis matches is anoying. Mad
snow report
As a non Curler,I am still not sure about why, how and when the 'Hammer' switches.

Wouldn't it be easier if there were 9 or 11 games in a match (instead of 10) with the 'Hammer' changing every game (Like in Bowls)?
snow conditions
I think it does change alternate games..........?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you score, you lose the hammer
snow report
yes - realised that eariler today!
snow report
How many non Scots are there in the GB men's and women's Curling teams?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy