Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 and Ski Hauling

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like Jet2 take a leaf out of Sleazy Jet's terms 'n Conditions when it comes to carrying your ski's for you, quote;

" Many items of sporting equipment, .............(including winter sports equipment)........ are inherently unsuitable for carriage by a low cost airlines operating fast turnarounds. However, subject to prior booking through our Call Centre and upon payment at the departure airport of an additional charge per single trip, Jet2.com is prepared to carry such items on a ‘Limited Release’ basis i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for loss, damage or delay."

and

"We cannot guarantee extra space on the flight on which you are booked for such items. If space is not available, the items will be sent on the next flight with available space."

Yet their adverts specifically refer to Geneva as being in the heart of ski country!

I have never actually paid extra for ski carriage, and don't want to call the Call Center to alert them, I was just going to turn up and see what happened. Anyone have any idea how Jet2 react, will they ignore the skis, charge for them or refuse to load them?

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill, Well I for one am just not going to use the bugggers! I presume that as the above text is enclosed in 'quotes' that you have taken it directly from their web site.

This
Quote:
"We cannot guarantee extra space on the flight on which you are booked for such items. If space is not available, the items will be sent on the next flight with available space."
", is absolutely the most extraordinary statement I have seen in respect of 'Sports Equipment' issue, especially when Jet2 advertise directly to skiers.

Quote:

However, ........ Jet2.com is prepared to carry such items on a ‘Limited Release’ basis

Who is doing who the favour?????

Persons of dubious parentage!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, I hire, so don't know. Mr Manda takes his with him. He's crap at organising so just turns up without a booking & pays the extra. Hasn't been refused yet. BUT (and it's a big BUT) he's only done that thus far with TO charter flights. Dunno what the position would be with scheduled carriers.

In any event I would personally be circumspect about just turning up without booking - if Jet2's T&C say
Quote:

subject to prior booking through our Call Centre and upon payment at the departure airport of an additional charge per single trip, Jet2.com is prepared to carry such items on a ‘Limited Release’ basis
, then if you have't pre-booked chances are they'll refuse to carry your skis (even if you ARE willing to pay).

From T&Cs of other scheduled carriers I've seen, it's entirely normal to carry sports luggage on a "limited release" basis. What's everyone else's experience?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
From T&Cs of other scheduled carriers I've seen, it's entirely normal to carry sports luggage on a "limited release" basis. What's everyone else's experience?

When coming back from the US/Canada, it's normal to have to sign to accept limited release for skis &c. I've never been asked to sign within Europe - even on the same airline - but it's my understanding that they still carry them on that basis.

Quote:

I'm certain this is standard on all flights - they can't guarantee to carry vast amounts of luggage. I know plenty of skiers whose luggage has been left behind and caught up with them later (sometimes days later) on both charter and scheduled flights: a bit of a bummer on the way out, but not so bad on the way home. Not quite sure though how the low-cost operators get it to you from the airport - or if you have to pick it up. Evil or Very Mad

Best 'luggage left behind' story we had was a part of thirty skiers all trying to get on a 40-seater plane in the depths of Canada (when heading home). There was no way the skis were all going to fit on, so they went on the next flight. Ended up with us coming back via Calgary and the luggage coming back via Vancouver - we were re-united in Heathrow. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW,

EasyJet Taxied our luggage to us in summer in Switzerland. Very impressed as they hadn't lost it rather Gatwick's baggage machine broke down so they (Gatwick) just didnt bother loading it.

Were up in the hills doing a bit of hut to hut and they hung onto it until we got back down to civilisation and then taxied it straight to us.

Fortunately most of our walking stuff was in the bag that wasn't lost.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda, I've used that ploy with TO's and scheduled flights with no problem, but I've always flown BA before.

I actually fly next Thursday so I don't expect a lot of other skiers on the flight, with it being midweek, so I don't think there will be a problem with hold space - I was just wondering how bl**dy minded they'd be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've not had any problems with skis when flying United, American, North West or BA to North America. The limited release thing seems to be standard policy with them, as is the guarantee that your skis may NOT make it. Since I've not had to pay anything extra for them, nor have I had them weighed Wink then I'm happy enough.

Only times I've had skis miss a flight (so far) was on a First Choice trip to Val d'Isere, they arrived 2 days later.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I make sure I am within the baggage allowance including skis and boots when flying scheduled. So far no problems with Lufthansa or BA. The charter companies charge to make themselves a bit of extra cash.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To keep y'all up to speed. Jet2 are mustard when it comes to charging for ski carriage.

At their check-in area, which is well staffed and run efficiently, they have a "meeter and greeter" lady who has been trained to recognise a ski bag. Once the offending item is spotted she askes whether you pre-paid, and if you haven't she sends you over to a smaller reception desk to cough up. They give you a receipt which you have to show at the check-in desk proper before they'll give you a luggage tag for it. No real hassle for me on a mid-week flight, but I wouldn't want to queue twice when they're busy.

Moral: pre-pay with Jet2 and use a double ski bag for a 50% discount wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My next challenge will be to try to get a double ski bag checked in with a ticket that firmly says one pair of skis. Will Ingham's/ Britannia spot the ruse?? I'll tell you when I get back! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jet2 are punctual and efficient and Leeds/Bradford airport is a pleasure to use.

£10 return isnt exactly robbery for 2 pairs in a single ski bag and plenty of dirty washing on the return trip.

(Two pals of mine had blade length luggage made. This was spotted at check in and they had to pay for something other than clothing being in their luggage (although they could have put both pairs in one bag if they had thought on.)

Id be much more worried about the availability of a trolley on arrival at Geneva (ie like hens teeth) and the 40 minute queue at security at Geneva when leaving (2 of the 4 metal detector lanes not in use).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I take your point, but why should skis be charged for specifically. My view is that if I am inside the baggage allowance, what difference does it make to the all-up weight of the aeroplane if my luggage consists of skis rather than (say) jam roly-poly?

This is generally the view of scheduled airlines. TOs see an opportunity to charge. If the skis are in addition to the baggage allowance then £10 is a reasonable charge. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T-Dub, I agree about Jet2, although I flew from Manchester. I was worried that they may refuse to load my skis at all if I hadn't pre-paid, and also peed off with their terms and conditions bull as they do market themselves to the skier.

Geneva was fine though, loads of trollies and loads of metal detectors. They missed my leatherman though (phew, nearly lost another) as they were sweating over the wife's bootwarmers - two decent sized batteries and a load of wires!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We always use every ounce (sic) of the 20 kilos allowance, and Jet2 always turn a blind eye to a few kilos extra, so an extra tenner between us for a few kilos of skis and a few other bits pushed into the ski bag is a fair cop.

Often wondered what theyd do if an airline tried to charge for excess baggage cos I was over, then I changed my shoes for skiboots and wore them on the plane?

It does seem an anomoly that a 16 stone bloke gets the same baggage allowance as an 8 stone lass. (Then again theres all those electrical appliances a female cant do without... Laughing )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T-Dub, just going off topic a wee bit - why do you use Leeds/Bradford. It takes me 60 mins to get there and I'm nearer than you (Manchester 45 mins) and as it's at the top of a hill it is closed because of weather more often than Manchester.
snow report
Interstingly, when I skied in Whistler last year we travelled by BA scheduled flights. There was a huge problem with the baggage system at LHR which resulted in our skis, once checked in, being put onto a handcart. They didn't make it to the plane.

At Vancouver airport, they called over everyone whose skis had not arrived (they knew exactly which ones had been left behind) and gave us vouchers for a hire shop in Whistler ("It happens all the time" apparently). So we were able to get decent skis until ours were delivered to the hotel 24 hrs later, at no cost to us.
snow conditions
T-Dub, battery or mains? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
T-Dub, just going off topic a wee bit - why do you use Leeds/Bradford.
Cos I live in north Leeds, do most of my posting on here from work...
snow conditions
T-Dub, Ah. I thought you were round the corner from my brother-in-law, next to that girt big tower.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy