Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

women's skeleton - GB GOLD Medal

Poster: A snowHead
I've not been watching this with all the skiing going on but the good news is

Quote:
Britain's Amy Williams set a new track record on her way to the halfway lead in the women's skeleton at Whistler.

The 27-year-old set a new best of 53.83 seconds on run one and her combined time of 1:47.96 after two runs gives her a substantial lead of 0.30 seconds.

Team-mate Shelley Rudman improved from 11th to joint seventh while British men Kristan Bromley and Adam Pengilly lie fifth and 20th respectively.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/skeleton/8520464.stm

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 20-02-10 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I watched the women's last night. Brilliant performance from Amy Williams, against the form book and the local favourite. Hopefully she can keep it all together in today's two runs and take a medal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She's also hot AND mad to boot, my favourite combination Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I literally can't wait for this evening. The papers are mad for it as well, they're already writing like she's won it - I found a round up on a blog I wound up on off of Twitter.

http://www.winterolympics-focus.com/?p=100
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is quite frustrating! We're heading down to the city this weekend to watch some ice hockey (tonight), then stay with friends so we can get to the ski cross more easily on Sunday. So we'll be out of town when our best medal prospects have their final run, AND for the medal ceremony! Bollox! Evil or Very Mad My attempts to persuade Mrs G66 to ditch the visit to the friends in the city are coming to zero!

Looking forward to seeing how the British press handle it if we win medals on a track they've slated for the last week. Short-sighted tw@ts.

In unrelated news, we managed to find Tora Berger in the village last night, being interviewed. She let the kids hold her gold medal - the 100th medal won by Norway in the winter games. Pretty cool!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
greg66, Tora Berger sounds nice.

It will be amusing to watch the press forget what they have been saying. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
YAY! Amy Williams wins... by miles! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski-finder, Fantastic win. Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
w00t! that was well and truly a convincing win.

142km/h on a "tea tray" - that's gotta be fun Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
seriously frightening stuff that! But wow, that's an awesome result!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent result! snowHead

First female, solo Gold at the Winter Olympics for over 50 years... Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That was so awesome Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WHOOOO, GO AMY!! Gold!!

I see the other countries are throwing their toys out of the pram because a Brit came from nowhere to win rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what a result - nice one team amy and team gb...fantastic effort

reminds me a bit of the cycling model - dedicated athletes, centralised training - good team ethos, good coaches and some great tech...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:

Amy Williams Wins Stunning Skeleton Gold

Skeleton slider Amy Williams today (Friday) became Team GB’s first individual Olympic Winter Games gold medallist for 30 years and the first woman individual gold medallist for 58 years.

The 27-year-old from Bath won the women’s skeleton title at Vancouver 2010 Olympic by an emphatic 0.56 seconds.

Team-mate Shelley Rudman, Team GB’s Turin 2006 silver medallist, finished sixth.

Williams said she was delighted with her gold medal. "It's absolutely brilliant. It's out of this world. Never in a million years did I think I'd come here and win gold,” she said. “I don't think it will sink in for weeks and weeks.

"It's amazing to do this for my country. I had nothing to lose here and I just went for it. I enjoyed every minute. 

"I knew I had to just keep it together. I can't remember what I did on the last run, half of the track is just a blur.

"I've done everything I possibly could in the last four years to get here and to put in my best performance."

Williams dominated the skeleton event in Vancouver from the start – leading from her very first run yesterday (Thursday), when she broke the track record at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

Williams went into today’s final two runs with a 0.30-second lead over Germany’s Kerstin Szymkowiak in second. And she took a step closer to gold on the first run of the day with another stunning track record.

Her time of 53.68 took another 0.15 seconds off her own track record. Her rivals couldn’t match her pace and Williams went into the final run of four with a 0.52 second lead over Canada’s Mellisa Hollingsworth in second.

Williams remained grounded saying: "I started afresh today and really enjoyed it. Corner 12 and 13 was a bit hairy, but it was a good run."

Rudman was also battling. Her third run time of 53.95 was her fastest of the Games to date and reinforced her seventh place overall going into the final run. The Sheffield slider said: "I'm starting to enjoy it now. I'm getting a little bit better every time I go."

Rudman went on to produce the fastest final run – a time of 53.82 – to climb to sixth overall in 3:36.69.

But it was her team-mate Williams that took the plaudits. She clocked 54.00 seconds on her final run to stretch her winning margin to 0.56 seconds from Szymkowiak, with another German, Anja Huber, taking bronze.

Today’s result means Great Britain have won medals in skeleton at the last three Olympic Winter Games, since the re-introduction of the sport to the Olympic programme. Alex Coomber won bronze at Salt Lake City in 2002 and Shelley Rudman took silver at Turin four years ago.

Britain has medalled at every Olympic Winter Games to feature skeleton, with David Carnegie, the 11th Earl of Northesk, winning bronze in 1928 and John Crammond also winning bronze in 1948.

Williams’ gold was Team GB’s ninth gold in Olympic Winter Games history. The last gold was won by the women’s curling team in Salt Lake City in 2002 and the last individual gold was won by figure skater Robin Cousins at Lake Placid in 1980.

The last woman to win an individual gold was Jeannette Altwegg, who won figure skating gold in Oslo in 1952.

Nicely done

snow report
Well done Amy ...
ski holidays
Cool. That was worth staying awake until silly o'clock for! Very Happy

Notice how I am Irish for the Six Nations Rugby but conveniently British at all other times! Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:

Notice how I am Irish for the Six Nations Rugby but conveniently British at all other times! Very Happy

Similar to how Andy Murray is British while he remains in contention then reverts to Scottish as soon as he loses wink

Congratulations to Amy, any Brit winning any Winter Olympic medal deserves enormous plaudits I think.
snow report
Really excellent - shows that real talent can still win through.
ski holidays
elgrego, nothing like Andy Murray, this is a thread about winners wink
ski holidays
Watched this live at stupid o'clock - what a superb result. Well done Amy. And perhaps a well done to Shelley also. 6th is still a creditable result.
ski holidays
I was really pleased I stayed up to watch it, my first "live" British Winter Olympic Gold Medal... awesome stuff! snowHead
ski holidays
bertie bassett, And lots of money thrown at it too! Skeleton £2.1 M from Sport UK, Skiing only £372K. If you put enough money into a sport then you will get results. Cycling, Rowing, Swimming etc.

I'm not knocking Amy and what she achieved. Great result for her & Team GB, a fantastic achievement. But if the money was more evenly spread about our skiers, both Alpine & Cross Country etc might be doing better? It costs just as much if not more to run a world class Alpine ski team/programme as it does for the Skeleton. But I suppose this has been argued about before.

Anyhow - Go team GB. lets hope they can win some more medals. Curling or Bobsleigh perhaps?
snow report
ski-finder wrote:
I was really pleased I stayed up to watch it, my first "live" British Winter Olympic Gold Medal... awesome stuff! snowHead
I didn't watch this one live, but I did watch the last one! I distinctly remember sitting in my nightie, eating baked beans straight out of the tin, while watching Robin Cousins skate to gold! Toofy Grin

Plugboy,
Quote:

Skeleton £2.1 M from Sport UK, Skiing only £372K.
Good grief! That's a massive difference. Shocked
ski holidays
Fantastic result! After teh hockey we broke out the 9 foot Union Jack and paraded it up a down Robson Street a couple of times. All very well received by the locals - the atmosphere is exceptionally good over here.
snow conditions
elgrego wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Similar to how Andy Murray is British while he remains in contention then reverts to Scottish as soon as he loses wink

I have never understood why people feel the need to make such utterly stupid (and completely false) statements about Murray.

And being Irish (or in my case Welsh) for the 6N, and British for most other events is quite natural, since the British nations are competing separately, against each other in the 6N, and competing as a British team in most other events.
latest report
Superb result, and she seems to male a very good ambassador for the sport too.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
ski-finder wrote:
I didn't watch this one live, but I did watch the last one! I distinctly remember sitting in my nightie, eating baked beans straight out of the tin, while watching Robin Cousins skate to gold! Toofy Grin

Plugboy,
Quote:

How is this? platium plated runners?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daehwons wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
ski-finder wrote:

Plugboy,
Quote:

How is this? platium plated runners?

Just a guess...

A world cup skier could at a push, use more or less off the peg (top end) kit to compete. The skeleton kit isn't readily available, and needs developing from scratch....

eg Bode's boots are fitted by a guy in a regular shop in Saas Fee - not too many sled fitters about. Obviously there's more to it........
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

And being Irish (or in my case Welsh) for the 6N, and British for most other events is quite natural, since the British nations are competing separately, against each other in the 6N, and competing as a British team in most other events.

Not quite the same is it, since most of Ireland is not in the UK, but all of Wales is.

And, just to add to this, why is it 'Team GB' and not 'Team UK' - where would a Northern Irish athlete go?
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
And, just to add to this, why is it 'Team GB' and not 'Team UK' - where would a Northern Irish athlete go?

I don't know, you need to take that up with the BOA
ski holidays
Medal Ceremony

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/skeleton/8526692.stm
snow report
The gold medal is the size of a dinner plate! A great result. Wonder how much larger the budget will be for Team Skeleton Bob now that Amy took gold?
latest report
Plugboy wrote:
bertie bassett, And lots of money thrown at it too! Skeleton £2.1 M from Sport UK, Skiing only £372K. If you put enough money into a sport then you will get results. Cycling, Rowing, Swimming etc.

I'm not knocking Amy and what she achieved. Great result for her & Team GB, a fantastic achievement. But if the money was more evenly spread about our skiers, both Alpine & Cross Country etc might be doing better? It costs just as much if not more to run a world class Alpine ski team/programme as it does for the Skeleton. But I suppose this has been argued about before.

Anyhow - Go team GB. lets hope they can win some more medals. Curling or Bobsleigh perhaps?

Ah but the money's been put into a sport where we have some record of winning medals - prior to Whistler, we'd medalled at consecutive winter Olympics and at recent world champs. Plus there was a tech angle and we've generally done better in recent events where we can throw tech at a problem (cycling, sailing etc) than we do in purer events. Jeez £2m a medal is quite low - look at the table from Beijing - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/7761495.stm where only boxing and cycling had a low per medal cost.

Do I agree that the funding for skiing in absolute terms is too low - yes of course I do, synchro swimming for gawds sake has a budget of over c. 3.5M for the London Games.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
The gold medal is the size of a dinner plate!

I thought that but at least they are better than the ones that looks like a spray painted DVD. Even the ribbon ran through the hole. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Plugboy wrote:
bertie bassett, And lots of money thrown at it too! Skeleton £2.1 M from Sport UK, Skiing only £372K. ...

I take it that that support followed medal winning at the previous Winter Olympics?
snow report
achilles wrote:
Plugboy wrote:
bertie bassett, And lots of money thrown at it too! Skeleton £2.1 M from Sport UK, Skiing only £372K. ...

I take it that that support followed medal winning at the previous Winter Olympics?

Yes, I think so. The budget for Alpine skiing seems to have been shrinking since at least the Turin Games. The budget for skeleton increased because of Shelly Rudman's silver AIUI.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy