Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is a cycle helmet also ok for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
This may be a really stupid question, but......the fatal collision in Austria makes me think that I ought to wear a lid (notwithstanding that the cause of death has been suggested to be a ruptured aorta).

When I cycle, I always wear a helmet. Being a cheapskate, I wonder whether using a cycling helmet while skiing would be just as effective as a ski lid? I certainly cycle at higher peak speeds than I ski. A fall with head impact is from a slightly greater height when cycling than skiing. Tarmac and lamp-posts are just as tough as ice and trees. Cycling helmets are BSI tested and approved for their effectiveness. QED.

Mentioned this to the Mrs yesterday and got head bitten off. "It's just not the same" she says, without further explanation. Methinks she'll be embarrassed if I wear a cycling helmet 'cos it'll make people think I'm a dork or cheapskate or both. If a cycling lid is good enough, I don't care what people think. Just go easy on me if you think I'm wrong Happy)

Going a week on Saturday (27th) to Bovec-Kanin in Slovenia.

Regards.

Phil in Shrewsbury
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be better than nothing but skiing helmets are certified for use in low temps and the cycling helmet may just split open on the first slight impact. If it did, you would then need to buy a ski helmet and a cycling helmet, so wouldn't have achieved cheapskate status for long.

Who knows what they will think in Slovenia? Its not like you are going to Val D'Isere or Aspen. I'm too style conscious to even consider such a thing but you do see all sorts on the slopes and the pole pointing may die down after a couple of days.

You could go the whole hog and wear sunglasses with your cycling helmet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only if you have a bell and wear lycra cycle shorts too Wink

There are some helmets which are designed for multiple use
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Being a cheapskate

you will also be a coldskate Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a ski helmet.

Don't wear your bike helmet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

cycling helmet may just split open on the first slight impact

Almost certain if it's one aimed more at road or light off-road duties.

Quote:

Bovec-Kanin in Slovenia

Nice area. Going back there on the bike.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your head will get cold because of the holes in the helmet, and I predict that your goggles won't fit properly with it because it isn't designed to work with ski goggles. I've seen it done, but it did look a bit silly.

Not as silly as the bloke I saw skiing in a wetsuit this season though. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phil Chris, Please wear your bike helmet and take lots of pictures for us wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Not as silly as the bloke I saw skiing in a wetsuit this season though. Laughing

lol! You gotta get us some pics next time. Maybe he goes water skiing in a one piece fartbag. Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can buy them fairly cheaply on ebay, and they are still certified etc.

You might look like a bit of an idiot in a cycle helmet tbh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here are the various standards for different helmet categories: http://www.pocsports.com/products/certifications.asp?id=10-Ski&category=ski
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

Laughing That is great.

I saw a guy the other day wearing a bike helmet whilst sliding about on... blades. The meaning of 'cool'.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Phil Chris, - also depends on the style of cycle helmet - if it's a pi$$ pot style, you may get away with it, if its a road racing TDF style, forget it!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv, was he also wearing jeans tucked into his boots?
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A Troy Lee D2 would be fine, a Specialized 2D considerably less so.

A D2 may be overkill, though.
snow conditions
DB, Probably won't have much of a bell in Lycra shorts in those temps
ski holidays
It'll be seriously cold, though, as Cycle helmets are actively designed to cool your head.
ski holidays
ricfrench wrote:
DB, Probably won't have much of a bell in Lycra shorts in those temps

Yeah other skiers will think his wife married him for the money Wink
latest report
As other have said it's not a great idea. If cost is an issue, Lidl and Aldi bothe do helemts at very reasonable prices, as do Decathlon. all helmets sold in the UK provide the at least the minumum safety level required by law
snow conditions
+1 for looking like a tool although some of the more "freeride" Giros may be ok. Full face fine - seen lots of people using 686 etc for double duty.
ski holidays
I would point and laugh if I saw someone in a cycle helmet skiing. You be ok with a wee wee pot helmet though or a full face, but only if you're doing seriosly steep and exposed terrain, and since you're contemplating wearing a cycle helmet I doubt you are going to be skiing anything warranting a full face. I would have thought you'd be fine from a safety point of view although don't know how the temperature would affect the helmet. That said a boy died from head injuries in the states a season or so ago wearing a cycle helmet when he hit a tree. The report did not conclude whether or not a ski helmet could have saved him.
ski holidays
Phil Chris, you may be a cheapskate but surely you have a modicum of pride and self-respect? If you do insist on the cycle helmet then go the whole hog and wear jeans, not forgetting to leave your ski jacket unzipped and flapping in the wind.

arv, in La Clusaz I witnessed a guy on blades with ski poles. Quite the least cool thing I have seen outside of a provincial town center at chucking out time.
latest report
Cyclists generally don't fall backwards, and cycle helmets are not designed to protect the back of the head.

Cycle certification is meaningless for skiing.

Phil Chris wrote:
I certainly cycle at higher peak speeds than I ski.

Your best value is in lessons then.
latest report
If you want to spend all this money on a skiing holiday and you want to wear a helmet (I always wear one), then is £40 for a proper one really going to break the bank?

If it is, maybe you should ask if skiing is for you, at this point of your finances.

Alternatively, is there something you can sell to raise the money for a proper helmet or do you have a friend that you can borrow one from?
snow report
comprex,

Quote:

I've cycled far faster than I've ever skied in a ski lesson although I have gone faster on skis than on a bike. Its pretty easy to hit 35+mph on a downhill road on a road bike, a speed which I'm sure many users of this forum do not regulaly exceed on skis
ski holidays
We probably do. I don't know how fast I've gone on a bike, but my mate used to read the speedos of the cars he passed coneing down Ranmore and Pebble Hill. In skiing, the hills are bigger, so I reckon I've gone faster in ski lessons than I ever did on a bike.
snow report
I've worn my ski helmet whilst mountain biking in the snow.

rambotion, I had calibrated my mountain bike computer and I hit 49.7 mph blasting down the old horseshoe pass road. Had to brake a bit for a BMW sports car though as I didn't have room to pass the slow booger - it was funny being on his tail Twisted Evil
latest report
Don't be a fool.

A bike helmet (assuming you don't mean 'proper' biking, aka mtb) will break on first impact - not what you want from a ski helmet.

Second, you will look even more uncool than anne robinson. In a fluffy pink tutu. And neon green 'wig' boots. On snowblades.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

anne robinson. In a fluffy pink tutu. And neon green 'wig' boots. On snowblades.

That sounds utterly ubercool to me. Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for the good advice and excellent laugh-out-loud mickey taking.

When I discussed this again with the Mrs yesterday, she made the same point as comprex about hitting the back of one's head, which is quite likely the way I ski and much less likely cycling.

So I'm off shopping, which I actually enjoy when it's for snow or cycling gear.

Cheers.

Phil C
snow conditions
>Second, you will look even more uncool than anne robinson. In a fluffy pink tutu. And neon green 'wig' boots. On >snowblades.

Not sure about the full stop. DO you mean the OP will look less cool tha Ann Robinson if he wore a cycle helmet, tut, blades and wig ?

Or are you trying to conjure up a fantasy image of Ann Robinson, in which case, Phwoar!....... Oh, just me then ?

Anyway, your ears will freeze with a cycle helmet.
ski holidays
Ski helmet standards were based on bicycle helmet standards. I'd expect they've moved on by now. I'd be interested to see how mountain bike and ski helmet specs compare in terms of impact absorption/energy dissipation/deformation/freezing weather performance etc etc.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
comprex,

Quote:

I've cycled far faster than I've ever skied in a ski lesson although I have gone faster on skis than on a bike. Its pretty easy to hit 35+mph on a downhill road on a road bike, a speed which I'm sure many users of this forum do not regulaly exceed on skis

+1 Like Scarpa, my top speed on a bike is around just shy of 50mph. On the flat I can maintain around 25-30mph for a good couple of miles. Using a standard bike computer and a Garmin GPS to record.

When skiing I think I've rarely got over 30mph (from wearing the Garmin) as a top speed.
snow conditions
I have never read so much ill formed rubbish
I sell pro tec lids and the only difference between winter lids and their bike lids is the ear attachments and blanking holes( and the price !!!). However if you watch any of the x games, you will see most boarders or skiers wearing wee wee pot lids are wearing the summer ( bike ) equivalents as they are seen as more cool. The notion that you dont hit the back of your head when biking is utter rot. Most Cycling lids, giro, bell et al in a traditional roadie style have elongated rear sections to prevent back of head injury - it is not for aero reasons that they are deisgned like this but because when we are in a cycling postion the helmet fits more comfortably over the neck if they protrude like this.

They also dont break on impact - the helmet is designed to cushion the impact - if it breaks then it isnt doing its job ! this is a common misconception that the cracking of the lid is what has saved you ... its not, it was a crappy helmet and the modern standards wont allow this !

as for safety concerns - you guys are completely off the mark - Bike helemts have been compulsory in some countries alot longer than ski helmets have been worn. ANSI CE And SNELL standards lead the way here . The CE standard for protective mountain biking equipment has to follow the same rules as the motorbike industry ( hence why mtn bikers find some of the new armour( 661) a bit too bulky) However new tech like d30 is imrooving the fit and safety all the time and making less bulky items . I would hazard a guess that a top end Giro ( with carbon and aluminium reinforcements ) is safer than the majority of so-called ski helemts

However much of this debate is pretty much null and void as the majority of riders ( both bike and snow sport ) I see have poorly done up straps . The chin strap is there for a reason . I have seen full face helmets regularly bounce off peoples' heads as they dont do up the chin strap adequately. If you go to an NPS DH mtn bike race - you will see BC commisaire constantly ensuring peeps helmets are secured properly . I suggest everyone does the same or else you might as well keep to that bobble hat!
ski holidays
Ignoring the differences in appearance and ventilation and how warm your ears might be and I'm sure I ski bare headed some days.
Some of the comments in this thread are utter rubbish - How can the helmet know if it is skiing or cycling? What about cycling last week in colder temps than the alps? The helmets are all made from various types of plastic with varous types of padding, they'll all protect your head from some types of impact but it will all depend on the angle of impact, force, etc. What do you think ski boots are made from? rolling eyes

The worrying thing about internet fora like this is that some unfortunate people believe what you lot spout as supposedly expert knowledge, but that is probably why the big labels make so much money...

If you want to wear a cycle helmet for skiing, go ahead it'll protect you better than no helmet.
ski holidays
BTW I regularly ski at 60mph plus - I race DH MTB and organise DH MTB races in the UK and speads off road very rarely crack 40mph
ski holidays
torico, but it's tooo cool to leave your straps undone Toofy Grin wink
latest report
yeah course it is, like being in a wheel chair is way cool too
snow report
Quote:

They also dont break on impact - the helmet is designed to cushion the impact - if it breaks then it isnt doing its job ! this is a common misconception that the cracking of the lid is what has saved you ... its not

agree 101% - on thing that really cheeses me off when people post "helmet saved my life" threads with a pic of the bits of helmet afterwards.

Oh and they do break on impact. Well the bike ones do. Friend went over bars at slowish speed when wheel jammed in a rut (damn leaves in autumn). 1 snapped collarbone. 1 helmet in 2 halves, held together by the internal padding etc. Giro was the brand iirc.

My Giro ski helmet took 2 head to snow impacts after a marmot poked its head out of the snow and undid my ski bindings. There's a few scuffs.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 19-02-10 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
torico, that's what I wanted to type Very Happy but didn't have the enthusiasm....
seems we formed the same impression around the same time.

But just to make it clear, because of the threading, that I agree with torico, we just posted about the same time.

PS I ski up to 50mph and cycle about 30mph.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy