Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help required!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this post is not in the right place. I have just booked my first ever ski holiday and wondered if you guys can help me out with some questions I have Very Happy (sorry, there are a few!)

I have booked to go to the UCPA - Argentiere on 3rd April. If anyone has been before, I would be grateful for a heads up on the shower situation - is it communal? I'm no prude, but typical british lass who isn't loving the idea of showering alongside some hairy europeans wink

I know it all depends on the actual weather out there, but as a general guide, do people recommend thermals at that time of year? I have some Helly Henson dry tops that I use for other outdoor pursuits. A general pointer on what others would wear for skiing at that time of year in Argentier/Chamonix would be much appreciated.

I am having full time tuition out there - the website when I booked asked for an indication of previous ski experience so they can allocate you roughly into groups I guess. I only have about 2 days previous ski experience (one full day tuition at Copper in Colorado) and a few sessions at the Snowdome in Tamworth. Clearly I am a beginner, but was already parallel skiing toward the end of my first day. Speaking to some friends who have been skiing a couple of times now (for a week at a time) they are still snowploughing, so not sure if they are slow learners or if that is average... Since the website just asks about amount of time spent skiing, wasn't sure if I should worry about this and maybe boost myself up to the next category or just hope they assess abilities before sorting out groups when I get there?

Thanks everyone - this website has been so helpful!

Laura
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lt81, welcome to snowheads

in no particular order: you;re not a total beginner, but don;t worry, the instructors will be able able to sort out which group you should be in fairly rapidly, you'll be bumped up or down as necessary

clothing wise, layer up. I normally wear a t-shirt or a thermal (depending how warm it is), plus a jacket. Mrs NBT rarely goes out with fewer than five layers. You'll know pretty quickly if you;ve got it right. I rekcon skiing in April will be slightly warmer than skiing in a fridge, so slightly less than you wore for tamworth is a good guide

can't help o the showers sorry, never been to a UCPA. let us know how you get on though, I'm considering one for next year
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lt81, welcome to snowHead . Can't say anything about UCPA showers.

As for the layers, the HH are a good base - best to layer up. It may be warm come April, and if you are at the learning end of your ski career, you may get hot and bothered if you are getting up from falls. At that time of year I would wear a wicking tee, a thinish fleece and a shell jacket if it was a bluebird day [though I get very hot]. Though TBH if it was a bit colder I would probably only add a Buff/neck gaiter and a hat.

I cannot also speak for the ski instruction for UCPA but I would expect someone who does will come along soon. I would assume they won't be putting you in with the mentalists being dragged off for treeline skiing in the backcountry if that reassures you! Toofy Grin

Have a great holiday!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
as others have said, layers are the key for April, I have skied in a T shirt and fleece in +20 and then had 3 layers on when it dropped to about -10!! Your HH ones will be fine.

The sun is higher and stronger in April, so I find I warm up very quickly...

I don't think I have ever worn thermals in April, my wife who feels the cold more than me hasn't worn thermals either (as far as I can remember....)

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies - thin layers it is. If I don't need thermals, it means I can spend more on some goggles Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy