Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets at Dry Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Our local Dry Slope (Glos) do not have any helmets available for loan. Is this acceptable (we have our own but I've seen people knocked unconscious on previous visits)?

Pete
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
acceptable to who? are folk been shoved down the hill against their will without helmets on? you've got helmets which sounds perfectly sensible to me, so why spoil others' blissful ignorance!!

Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it is a bit off putting when you've got to ski around some unconscious Pikey for half an hour whilst they're waiting for the ambulance to pitch up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeteMan, Wear dark glasses Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
powerslide a Pikey, bet they make a good kinked rail
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

unconscious Pikey

In breeding is a terible thing. We have to take responsibility for ourselves when we choose to ski or board.
Its natural selection in action, Richard Dawkins calls it the greatest show on earth.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why is it that those who oppose the wearing of helmets do so under the banner of 'freedom of choice'. In reallity all they are doing is cutting their noses off to spite their face.

Smokers moaned when the smoking ban came in and car drivers moaned when the seat belt law came in. Using Mobiles whilst driving is also against the law.
These laws have sound statistical reasons of safety for being in place.

There cannot be many public recreations that involve travelling at speed that do not require the wearing of a helmet to prevent head injury.

The Austrian authoritys are looking at making helmets cumpulsary following the latest death of a recreational skier in Kaprun.

I can see ski lifts in european resorts displaying a legal warning;

'No Helmet = No Ride' and resort piste patrollers taking lift passes off people not wearing a helmet whilst 'snow sliding'.

The wearing of helmets for All snow sliders makes sense and i welcome legislation to enforce the wearing of them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why on earth should it be compulsory? If someone doesn't like their head the shape it is, that's their problem, no-one elses.

Not that any of that is at all relevant to this thread.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cc_7up wrote:
.......I can see ski lifts in european resorts displaying a legal warning;

'No Helmet = No Ride' and resort piste patrollers taking lift passes off people not wearing a helmet whilst 'snow sliding'.......

Your eyesight must be better than mine (but then I am ageing). Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, I will not bite. I will not bite ....... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OP do Gloucester have helmets for children or none at all ? My local slope has made it compulsory for children under 7, optional for everyone else. Do GLoucester just asl everyone to bring a helmet or is there perchance the chance to purchase one ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ooh, another helmet thread! Although this time I think helmets should be optional and therefore readily available for hire - as I think its should be an entirely personal choice as to whether you protect, what could be considered, the most important organ in your body, or not. Therefore I think they should provide helmet equipment, but I doubt its illegal not to. I've thought the same thing about public ice skating in the UK for years
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At Norfolk they are compulsory for all children under 16 and for everybody who is under instruction at any level. They are available for anybody else who wants to use one for no additional charge. I am fairly certain that the above is a requirement of the insurance policy although probably as part of the negotiations to keep premiums down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead all our instructors wear helmets, all 16 years and unders wear helmets, all adult lessons up to and including level 4 wear helmets, and Helmets are available free for use by everyone. We still have the freedom of choice option for adult rec users, however most people do wear them. Personally I fully recomend the wearing of a helmet for snowsports.

PSG
snow conditions
cc_7up, you might like being bossed about like an infant but some of us would rather be left alone, thank you.

What's it to you what I do with the various parts of my body anyway?
snow conditions
cc_7up wrote:
Why is it that those who oppose the wearing of helmets do so under the banner of 'freedom of choice'.

I don't oppose the wearing of helmets. I frequently wear one. I oppose making wearing them compulsory because, um, it is a freedom of choice issue.

Quote:
Smokers moaned when the smoking ban came in

With good reason IMV - and I am a non smoker.

Quote:
and car drivers moaned when the seat belt law came in.

I recall very little 'moaning'. The evidence that, on balance, seat belts did save live seemed clear- cut (in contrast to the benefit of skiing helmets) - moreover the requirement to use them in the rear of the car saves injury to those in the front.

Quote:
Using Mobiles whilst driving is also against the law.

Because of the clear risk to others.

Quote:

Unlike the statistics of helmets and serious ski injuries.

Quote:
There cannot be many public recreations that involve travelling at speed that do not require the wearing of a helmet to prevent head injury.

Rubbish. What about recreational cycling and roller blades?

Quote:
The Austrian authoritys are looking at making helmets cumpulsary following the latest death of a recreational skier in Kaprun.

That would be illogical in the light of what we know about the accident at present.
snow report
thirty06 wrote:
OP do Gloucester have helmets for children or none at all ? My local slope has made it compulsory for children under 7, optional for everyone else. Do GLoucester just ask everyone to bring a helmet or is there perchance the chance to purchase one ?

AFAIK there are no kids or adult hemlets available to rent/borrow/buy. Instructors don't wear them and I do not believe that it's mandatory for anyone of any age to where them when training.

Pete
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Quote:

Unlike the statistics of helmets and serious ski injuries.

I wonder now that helmet wearing is becoming more prevalent will we see statistical evidence emerging that they are a useful means of injury prevention? For example, this study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (which I believe is a reputable peer-reviewed publication).
latest report
Oh goody, another Helmet thread. Now which way shall I go this time, er let me think, .. Actually I don't recall trying the 'In the end insurance companies will force helmets on all of us' line before , so here goes:

Starting (probably) in America, it will almost certainly become compulsory to wear a helmet while skiing to stay within the terms of your insurance. Whether this precedes or follows rulings by the resort operators is anyone's guess but sure as litigation is litigation it will happen.

I'm happy to wear a helmet. I don't care if you and your kids do or not. But sooner or later you'll be uninsured if you don't.

More importantly, has ANYONE got ANYTHING NEW to say about the wearing (or not) of F***ing HELMETS??!!???

breathes deeply....., takes pill...., thinks of his 'happy place' .... OMMmmmmmmmmm.....
ski holidays
rob@rar, hmm. Here is the full report. I don't think anyone has doubted the effectiveness of helmets reducing head injury. For example, I wear one when skiing through trees and bushes so that I don't get cut by branches. At issue is the touching faith by many that wearing helmets significantly reduces the risk of severe trauma. Once again, this report supports the doubters :

Quote:
Potentially severe head injuries in these two studies were defined as referral to an emergency physician or hospital for treatment, and head injury requiring evacuation by ambulance. Shealy and colleagues reported no significant difference in the incidence of potentially serious head injury (concussion, severe closed head injury, skull fracture or death) between helmet users and non users. Fukuda and colleagues, after adjusting for jumping, reported a nonsignificant effect of helmet use on severe head injuries (traumatic amnesia, loss of consciousness, craniofacial fracture or intracranial lesion) compared with nonserious head injuries (OR 0.66, 95% CI 0.32–1.35)
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
At issue is the touching faith by many that wearing helmets significantly reduces the risk of severe trauma.

I'm not sure that is the issue, although I think it might well be used as a straw man in the argument. I can't recall people who advocate helmets doing so simply because of their touching faith, as you say, in the ability of helmets to make you invincible. It seems to me that the pro-helmet advocates do so because of a general belief that helmets are "a good thing".
snow conditions
rob@rar, I do recall a sH saying that he wore a helmet because he didn't want to 'become a vegetable' - and others saying that they were wearing helmets because they were helmets 'because they were going faster'. Yet others have suggested that Darwinism would take care of those who didn't wear helmets. As a result, I had gained the impression that protection from major impact was what a very large proportion of helmet wearers were seeking.
snow report
achilles, I wear a helmet if I'm going to ski faster, but that doesn't mean I think it gives me an invulnerable shell through which danger can not pass. I do so on the basis that in some situations it's better to be wearing one than not (a point which I illustrated last month, although body armour might have been a better option Embarassed ). Many of the helmet debates on the forum are triggered by news of serious injury or death (today, for example, or Miranda Richardson) so that might provide a context for the debate/arguments, but I don't believe that those people who advocate helmet use do so because they are only for use in life-saving situations. Maybe if we stopped arguing about extremes the debate would be less fractious?
ski holidays
I've worn a helmet whilst skiing for the last 6 years.
I was taken out last Friday, while skiing a Red run in Cervinia, open, wide piste, very few users at the time. I was doing some pretty fast carved turns. What I didn't realise was that one of the people from our chalet, a lady, that we were skiing with that day, had decided to follow me and try and stay in my tracks. I was skiing speed wise at about 30-35mph, at or near her limits I'd say, when I went over a small ridge whereby the terrain got marginally steeper, I tightened my turns slightly to shake off some excess speed, however she didn't and crashed into the side of me, her head hit my upper arm, then my head hit the top of hers, then I high sided and landed on my head, shoulder and upper arm.
She was wearing a helmet and I was wearing my new POC one, which I'm sure saved us from a trip in the bloodwagon or worse.
I've had X-Rays on my arm and shoulder since, but fortunately no breaks, just lots of soft tissue damage and drugs.

I doesn't matter how competent your own skiing is, there's always the other person, whom you have no control over.

Wear a Helmet.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
... Maybe if we stopped arguing about extremes the debate would be less fractious?

Nail on (helmeted) head hit.

I wear a helmet in the belief that it will protect me from banging my head. Not from ALL injuries, but from some bangs to my head. The minor inconvenience of carrying it, and the small cost of buying it are justified to me by the benefit of a degree of protection from a level of risk.

I don't wear body armour because the cost and inconvenience are NOT justified (to ME, for MY type of skiing) by the level of risk involved. In fact if I thought I needed to wear body armour, I probably wouldn't ski.

It's really simple; a helmet reduces damage when you bang your head. Banging your head is quite easily done when sliding around on slippery stuff, climbing in and out of metal contraptions or moving quickly through wooded areas. I have banged my head once or twice, but was not hurt because I had a helmet on.

I don't believe the helmet will protect me from much more than a light bang on the head so I try to avoid circumstances where a harder bang on the head is likely.

I don't mind if others take greater or lesser steps (or none) to avoid bangs on their own or their kids heads. I just do what makes ME feel the most comfortable with the risk of banging MY head.

Simples. Little Angel
snow report
"we" as a society are taking more and more precautions, with all sorts of things. In my young day (here we go......) there were no such things as car seat belts, children's car seats, roller skating helmets (and elbow and knee pads) etc etc.

As long as the precautions are not disproportionate, it seems a reasonable kind of idea. And despite the hugely more crowded roads most accidents statistics (especially child cyclists) have improved.

I wear a helmet for three main reasons - it's wired for sound, it keeps me warm and dry and it probably reduces my chances of injury. And a fourth reason, I suppose, it saves me yet another decision in the morning. Occasionally when it's very warm I don't bother. I don't feel it's a huge deal because I don't think there's a huge risk. A story of someone killed on a piste is very sad - but nobody bothers telling us if someone is killed on a road, do they?

I haven't skied on a dry slope for years (and will probably never do so again). But I do think I'd feel pretty vulnerable without one. If my son in law had been wearing a helmet when he fainted in the labour ward last week he wouldn't have had to go to A & E to have his head glued and missed the first hour of his daughter's life. wink He always wears one skiing.
ski holidays
Quote:

I doesn't matter how competent your own skiing is, there's always the other person, whom you have no control over.

I agree, That is why I wear a helmet whilst skiing. I started wearing a cycle helmet when riding my bike before it became "normal" to wear one. It was to protect me from the idiots around me rather than from me just falling off my bike. I now apply the same reason for wearing a helmet whilst skiing...... as i wait for someone to pile into me whilst tucking into a mars bar at the side of the piste!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blooming heck! Helmet believers are like God believers. OK, some have seen the light and want to save us all from hell and damnation. But stop knocking on my door when I'm watching Corrie and stop being bloody annoying. When I have been killed by a blow on the head you can all say I told you so.

Oh, no! I bit .......... Laughing
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

I wear a helmet for three main reasons - it's wired for sound,

Hmmm, so you don't think it's important to be able to hear what's going on around you?

Blue touch paper lit, takes several steps away...
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
No, I will not bite. I will not bite ....... Twisted Evil

Damn.

Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I skied at Glouceste Ski Centre every day day for ten years without seening anyone knocked out. Are we seeing a new generation of skiers who have not been taught how to behave on ski "pistes".
snow conditions
If u go bicycling its also you're own responsibility to wear a helmet (and i think thats the same danger as skiing just you do it more often so ure better i personally allways wore a helmet for bicycling but not for skiing lol - in the meantime i also have one for skiing Wink ) or not so if u want to sky down then get a helmet!!!! everybody has to know it for himself if he can do it or not!
snow report
at our local slope you have to wear a helmet for all freestyle sessions , all ramps and rails nights , all airbag nights and all snowboarding lessons but not ski lessons Puzzled and it is an option free of charge if you so wish to wear one!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy