Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice on new equipment (had a nightmare session yesterday)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

As you can see I'm new to the forum and I would like to get your expertise on my situation here.

I've been a casual skier for about seven years (took a months worth of lessons when I first started and have been skiing a couple times each year since). I have been renting my skis but I want to get more serious in my skiing.

I have:

Salomon X-Free 7.9 (173 cm)
Rossignol Boots (size 32)

Basically, my parents grabbed the skis for me when I wasn't there because they were cheap and same with the boots. I'm 5'6, I weigh 140 pounds, size 9.5/10 feet (Canadian) and I would call myself an intermediate skier (small jumps, boxes, on piste). I got the skis tuned and everything and I was a complete failure on the hill yesterday. I've never had this problem and it only took me a run or two on rented skis to get back into it. I felt awkward, clumsy and not in control at all. My boots are obviously too big (but I figured I would give them a try) and I didn't know how I would fair with these skis (well, I found out).

Basically, when I got home and told my parents my Dad was kind of ragging on me because he used to ski with 218 cm straight skis (he's 5'11/6 feet and at the time around 190-200 pounds) and I don't know if he's right or if he just doesn't understand I have a different preference/need of shorter skis.

So, I'm looking for some decent twin tip skis for riding on piste with normal/recreational riding and some park stuff (I'm not doing 720s or anything like that). I've heard the K2 Silencers are a good pick for what I need. But, I don't know about those or boots for that matter. Any advice? Again I'm:

Height: 5'6
Weight: 140
Feet: 9.5/10
Skill: Intermediate (small jumps, boxes, on piste)

Thanks,

Roman
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
32 Mondo boots must be way too big for a Canadian(US) size 9.5 foot. Make your dad buy you some properly fitting boots from a bootfitter NOT Sportchek etc and live with the skis for a while.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
x 2 ^

Where in Canada are you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in mid/southern Ontario. Near Barrie. Hills in the area are Blue Mountain and Horseshoe Valley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RoundWounds, your skis will definitely last you a while. Your boots are 5 sizes too big.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RoundWounds, can you head to Toronto for the day? Go to Sign of the Skier, see Paul. He's has lots of experience fitting boots and should be able to hook you up. Your feet aren't going to grow anymore so invest in a good pair of boots. For skis you probably want a twin tip so you don't get too board of the runs - unless you really enjoy carving ice in which case I can't help.

You could carry on skiing the Salmons no problem until you see the right pair of skis for you, the Toronto Ski Show in October has loads of cheap skis. Or check out Craigslist & ebay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree, the skis sound like they might be a little bit long but you could probably make do if you had to. Tell your dad that skis have changed a lot and he's out of touch! (I'm 6 foot, 160lbs and tend to ski around that length). I've never skied K2 silencers but I hear they're an excellent allround ski for the price.

If you're a canadian shoe size 9.5 then your ski boots should be around size 27. Trying to use size 32 is just crazy, you'll never get any control. Imagine trying to do ballet in clown shoes!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you're a canadian shoe size 9.5 then your ski boots should be around size 27. Trying to use size 32 is just crazy, you'll never get any control. Imagine trying to do ballet in clown shoes!

i would say even smaller, possibkly 26/26.5 but get the feet measured properly and get fitted by a boot fitter not a boot seller
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing in size 32 boots with size 26 feet, at least you won't need skis. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
Skiing in size 32 boots with size 26 feet, at least you won't need skis. wink

Laughing

Thanks for the advice guys!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Better hurry up, not much of the season left!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep on boot size, I'd say 26-26.5 for you. I'm about a Canadian 10.5 shoe size and my (properly fitted) boots are a Mondo 27, it was a toss up between those and some 26.5s for me as my foot measured somewhere between the two! Even as fairly new skier it only took me a couple of moderately fast red runs to decide my old secondhand boots at mondo 28 were too big for proper ski control!
I'm about 5ft10in and normally ski on 170cm skis, sometimes 160cm but at my level ski length doesn't seem to make anything like the difference properly fitting boots do!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy