Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tragedy in Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was in Zell am See last week for what was my 6th or 7th trip there, many of which have been at Feb half terms. Our group repeatedly commented that the slopes were the busiest we've ever seen them at this time of year and had this view backed up by several lifties, instructors and other locals in bars and restaurants. Several of our party visited the glacier on the premise that as there was reasonable snow in all th Salzburgerland resorts it might be a little quieter up there...... it wasn't at all. We were told that the business was because the european nations half terms usually spread fairly evenly over a 3 week period in Feb but this year most of the major nations school hols had coincided.... the traffic on the autobahn from Muncih to Salzburgerland was quoted by our taxi driver as "the worst he had seen in 20 years".... it took a german family in out hotel 8 hours to get from just north of munich to Zell on Sat 13th Feb.... normally a journey of 2 hours 30 mins (our local driver took the A roads and did it in 2.45 Laughing ).

The combination on virtually 100% bed occupancy in the villages, the pleasant warm sunny spring like weather, the amount of alcohol people seemed to be consuming on the slopes in the name of "Karnival" which also fell in this week, the apparently high percentage of novice skiers, an unusually high number of school parties, lots of naive teenagers and choppy / slushy snow due to the warm weather combined to the degree that I saw an extraordinary number of collisions and near misses compared to our usual week in this resort. I actually skied the blacks down to the village for most of the time cos they were quieter and I could ski them fast and safely unlike the blues on the main face where every 5 minutes there was a skidoo with a body bag going by. I've never seen so many people in a ski resort on crutches. The chopper was up and down like a whores drawers and certain resort bottlenecks were complete carnage from 10am when the ski schools started until 4pm in the afternoon. I'm actually surprised that this tragic accident wasn't duplicated several times around the Zell/ Kaprun area and am seriously considering giving skiing a miss at half term in future.

Our thoughts and sympathy are certainly with the family. No amount of financial compensation can ever replace a childs mother or a wife. I think we are all aware of the risks of such an accident involving one of our loved ones, however small that risk may be. We just chose to block it out otherwise we might elect to never participate in this wonderful sport ever again.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
glasgowcyclops wrote:

One thing that is not covered in any lesson I've been on is deliberately falling to prevent a collision rather than let your speed get out of hand.

Just back from a week in Romania and I'm pleased to say that safely falling over if you felt you were getting out of of control was the first thing the instructors talked about and made sure people understood the importance of things not getting out of hand for any skiers be they complete newbies or very experienced.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Just back from a week in Romania and I'm pleased to say that safely falling over if you felt you were getting out of of control was the first thing the instructors talked about

Hmm, not sure i agree with this. Learning to fall safely if you're going to fall - yes. Learning to fall when you feel you're getting out of control? Wouldn't be my method of speed control - if my students were getting out of control I think it would be my poor choice of drill / terrain for their level. I'd take them back a stage and concentrate on helping them ski in control whilst staying upright. There's always a risk of injury when falling, and I wouldn't want to expose my group to that risk unnecessarily.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

but please don't ever let Europe descend into the situation in the states where every jumped up official thinks they're from NYPD and gets off on enforcing rules. I haven't skiied in the states for precisely that reason due to the treatment I've received from every other official there (I have to go for work) - customs. police, security, clerks....... Just can't face it

That's honestly a horrible reason for not skiing in the states. Sucks you've had bad experiences w/ the NYPD or whomever, but there are no police on the slopes. Just ski patrol & they're really only there for rescue purposes. Most NYPD are good guys too. There's A-holes in every bunch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting update

I was speaking with a colleague today who has some knowledge of this case - apparently the injury was caused by a ski pole which very probably explains why it was such a unique and freakish consequence.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Posted on 18 Feb

DB wrote:
Is it possible that a ski pole caused the damage?

RIP and condolences to the family.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy