Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Not even finished with this season's skiing and starting to look ahead to next year's family trip Very Happy

Have always fancied Saalbach, but have only been for a couple of day visits in the summer. My brother in law has been loads of ski holidays there and loved the place. I'll be there with the wife and 3 kids, who will be 7 10 and 13 by that point. Will be travelling independently, ie not booking a package.

Traditionally have gone to 4 star and 4 star superior hotels but things have been a bit tight the last couple of years. Don't know if I could convince the wife to go to an apartment but would be looking at a 3 star hotel or even a really nice gasthof with good food. Looking for something close to slopes/lifts but does not need to be close to ski school as we tend to ski with the kids now. Hinterglemm would be considered too. We like our apres ski too Smile so somewhere that's walkable with kids after the apres would be ideal.

Any suggestions welcome
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, we stayed at the Hotel Reisinger, in Hinterglemm. We went through Neilson so not sure about booking it separately. 3* hotel, though for some reason Neilson only list it as a 2* (we thought it was better than that); it was very comfortable and our rooms were huge. It is literally across the road from the Reiterkogelbahn gondola, and therefore very close to the Goastall and London pubs, which are the main apres hang outs in Hinterglemm. The food was not gourmet but perfectly nice (and most importantly, there was lots of it!).

I'm sure you'll find nicer hotels that this, but for the price we were very happy with it, and the location couldn't be better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dav, a few of our friends stayed at the Reisinger this January. A couple said the the food was dreadful, others said not dreadful but not good, no choices and dinner was always rushed though so the staff could go. A couple of people had a tummy bug which was quite nasty. One woman, upon checking in, complained about blood stains on her mattress spoo . The staff did change it though (although they could have just turned it over rolling eyes ). All in all none of my friends would recommend it at all.

Some of us stayed in the Alpine Palace, just up the road. Not cheap but worth every penny. Best hotel I have ever stayed in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, that's a shame, it must have gone really downhill in a hurry. We found the staff extra friendly, and as we spent far too much time in the Goastall after the slopes we were always the last ones to sit down to eat, but were never rushed. True, there wasn't any choice for dinner but there were 8 of us there and we all enjoyed what was on offer, if it was at times a little basic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dav wrote:
we spent far too much time in the Goastall after the slopes

The first time we went there, skiing down on the way to the hotel, everyone seems to be drinking huge beers. As I only drink small ones I said to my OH, "Can you get me a white wine, the beers are too big". He came back with a small beer glass - filled with wine! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, Well if you can run to 4* then I would strongly recommend the Saalbacher Hof - it does some good deals when booked independently. Went there a few years back (2005) but I notice they are still getting great reviews. The bar/club underneath the hotel is very good too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, this place was quite good in Hinterglemm right opposite the main lift and the Goastal Very Happy they also have 'apartments' as well as hotel rooms, plus wellness and the food was very good.

Bike - Hotel CONRAD
Internet: www.hotel-conrad.at
E-Mail: info@hotel-conrad.at
Tel: 0043 (0)6541 6351
Fax: 0043 (0)6541 6351 111

should add it is a 20 meter walk to the Gondola wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 18-02-10 18:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stopped at the Gappmaier (www.gappmaier.at)in Saalbach on last 3 visits, excellent 3 star
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should add its on the main road as you come into Saalbach. Rope tow from the back door up to Kohlmais lift (you walk across the road leaving Bauer's after apres ski and ski down to the back door) and 300 yard walk up the road to Schattberg gondola. Short walk into town
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski, The Hotel Kohlmais next door to us comes highly recommended by our guests, who have popped into it every now and then for a bit of pampering in their wellness suite. Also consider Neilsons' Chalet Julianne, next door but one to us. Right opposite the Kohlmais Lift so couldn't be more convenient. Also consider Pension Enzian, another UK owned chalet/hotel. Let me know if you want my information guide to Saalbach, covering just about everything.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the info folks. Will look into properly once I'm back from St Anton (next week Very Happy )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like my eldest will be going to Valloire with school on 15th Jan for a week, so means that we will be a family of 4. Although I would go back to Kappl in a heartbeat, really want to try Saalbach/Hinterglemm. Will start getting some quotes from the places quoted above to help get me out of my post St Anton depression.
Thanks all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, not much of a credit crunch suggestion, but had a lovely stay at the Theresia a couple of years ago. Looked great for families!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski,
We're in Saalbach at present, and another possibility that occurs to me is the 3 star Pension Grafleiten (www.grafleiten.at), which is next door to us. Margeretha Gruber ("Greti"), the owner, told us the other day that she is extending the pension this summer to add another storey. She seems very obliging and offered to provide parking for our guests for 4 euros a day. I popped round to have a look and it looks very nice. It couldn't be closer to the lifts and the piste, which are directly opposite. The village centre and apres-ski are just down the road - a couple of hundred meters.
Also consider 3 star Hotel Peter (www.hotel-peter.at) for more than a touch of very traditional Austrian hospitality and good food, and a central position very handy for all the lifts and the skiing.
Also Neilson's 3 star Hotel Central - run by Franz Eder, a very nice young guy. It is a B&B establishment and represents very good value for money. Again in the village centre and a short walk to the Schattberg gondola.
You don't need half board in Saalbach, as you'll be spoilt for choice for good eateries at reasonable prices. In fact you're better off dining out from the point of view of having a more varied and interesting holiday. Also you can use the 4 star hotels' facilities, such as swimming pools, etc. (if you really need/want them) for about 12 euros a visit.
Let me know if you would like any further info - we're here for another week.
snow report
If you search for Furstauer Ski Schule, you'll find a link on the website somewhere for their apartments (owned by the family) which could be a good deal, especially if combined with lessons.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy