Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's downhill

Poster: A snowHead
I confess I've not read all 3 pages of this thread. Looked hairy up there, you could hear how icey it was. Didn't Chemmy do well.

Can anyone explain why they mark the course with the blue horizontal lines? In other words the ones that go across the course? I wonder if it is distracting, you know like driving down an avenue at sunset. Or do you think they are going so fast they dont even see it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
youngeratheart, basically its to give the racers a bit of orientation, where compressions, jumps etc are, ideally their line for the race should stay within this mark, dosn´t have to though. Look at a few of Bodes runs Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-02-10 0:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youngeratheart, The blue lines are to help the racers to see the contours of the slope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAB, rjs, Thanks. I knew they didn't have to stay within the outside ones so long as they made the gates, but was baffled about the others.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hammerite wrote:
Did you notice how many times they mentioned which skiers were friends with who? I couldn't work it out in the end.

Chemmy had apparently said that Mancuso was her best mate (yes I've seen the hot tub photo!), Mancuso in turn is apparently best mate with Vonn, and Vonn is apparently best mate with Reisch Very Happy

Chemmy and Jules are best mates for sure. Lindsey and Maria are best mates. Lindsey and Julia are not best mates. They get on a lot better now but best friends? Not really.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barry, You are most welcome! I even accept your point about the Lions Shocked

p.s. I'm one of the British you referred to earlier, perhaps you could translate your last sentence Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IrishEskimo, sounds as though you have an intimate knowledge of these young ladies' social lives. You'll be making some people on here dreadfully jealous.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
choucas, Move North of the boarder, (nearly) everyone and everything is more laid back up here... (And the skiin' is better too!) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youngeratheart wrote:
DAB, rjs, Thanks. I knew they didn't have to stay within the outside ones so long as they made the gates, but was baffled about the others.

are you talking about the ones "across" the slope?

They look to be highlighting where the slope falls to the side and the start of jumps / compressions
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt wrote:
I remember a few years ago in Whistler skiing Franz's with a friend who'd skiied for Australia, and commenting how hard it was and I was glad we were doing that, not the Dave Murray. She replied that the pistes used for women's courses tend to be harder than those used fo the mens's, as the overall speeds are slower so they're able to use the more demanding pistes- the men just wouldn;t make some of the turns due to the higher speeds. Having seen tonight's race, I can believe it!

Having skied both, the ladies course is the one I consistently go faster on (fast enough to realise that a spill would not be a happy event). The Dave Murray has a series of severe drops followed by compressions and/or relatively tight corners. I think you have to be really very good to go fast on that top to bottom. The ladies course, OTOH, is more "open" and has a relatively consistent pitch. The section just after the tunnel is real vapour trail territory.

Paerson's crash was pretty grim to watch. The French girl who got 10 metres out of the gate was very odd. I wondered whether she pinged a tendon or ligament as she was pushing off.

Pretty amazing experience. The Swiss had a cowbell section in the crowd that struck up as soon as a Swiss racer entered the gate, and it was LOUD. The Austrians had a brass contingent, which was just obliterated by the Swiss cowbell machine.

Met Chemmy after the race. She seemed pretty happy with the result. Going second after the first racer tips over can't have been much fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greg66 wrote:
The French girl who got 10 metres out of the gate was very odd. I wondered whether she pinged a tendon or ligament as she was pushing off.
Looked to me like she was just going for it hell-for-leather and just pushed herself too far across. I've done it before. It was embarassing enough for me - I wasn't at the start of an Olympic Downhill though... Laughing

As for Chemmy... a really good result (in my opinion). It's not her best discipline and the whole build-up/first skier going down wasn't overly helpful. Clean, but not quite attacking enough for my money. Nonetheless, an excellent result and surely built confidence ahead of her stronger disciplines. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've liked Chemmy ever since we met her at the snowHead bash at HH, and she let us take her photo with my littl'un. And one hell of a skier - TV doesn't do justice to just how different she and the rest of them are to us mortals.

Anyone else notice that the 'vertical' blue lines tend to go outside the gates?
I would find that severely distracting: when you drive a car, the white lines bend around the street furniture - say for example a central barrier or crossing refuge - and your eye/car naturally ( subconciously?) follow it, and hence you miss it. When it doesn't do that, there can be some close scrapes (speaking almost from experience).

It musy be very distracting seeing those outside lines, then having to steer 1 m inside of them... sort of like "aim for the gap" tree skiing instruction, but the gap is not quite where you are expecting it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj wrote:
barry, You are most welcome! I even accept your point about the Lions Shocked

p.s. I'm one of the British you referred to earlier, perhaps you could translate your last sentence Puzzled

A summary translation for your neck of the woods would be something like "on you go you balloon"
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want pictures of the winner:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/winter/lindsey-vonn/10_lindsey-vonn_32.html

Only 45 to trawl through. You can thank me later.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, better animated, no?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61830#1466597
(Don't say that female members of this forum don't have your best interests at heart - a woman posted the link and another has drawn it to your attention. You can thank me later too.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, and me I posted the original link, men eh, Hurtle Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Having watched La Vonn's cryfest at the finish line and the post race interviews I've distinctly gone off the emo Minnesotan.
latest report
greg66 wrote:
The French girl who got 10 metres out of the gate was very odd. I wondered whether she pinged a tendon or ligament as she was pushing off.

She bashed her skis together while skating out the gate which is why she fell, unfortunately she then tore her ACL which is a common occurrence in a slow speed fall with the DINs those girls are racing on.
snow report
fatbob, Suspect you still would though?! wink
ski holidays
JimW, they don't strictly "follow" the blue lines though - the idea is that the ideal line is somewhere between the two blue lines so it's not like on a road where you would normally be wanting to maintain a set distance from the white line.
ski holidays
Quote:

She bashed her skis together while skating out the gate which is why she fell, unfortunately she then tore her ACL which is a common occurrence in a slow speed fall with the DINs those girls are racing on.

What a way to go out!
snow report
A great spectacle and great TV! Almost all the racers' legs (not that any of them had more than two, of course!) were shot by the time they came to the last jump - IMV that's definitely what caused Paerson's crash. Just glad she and the others were (relatively) OK but it must be very scary to crash at that speed. They are all incredibly brave just to tackle the event.

DAB, Hurtle,

Thanks for that - excellent lunchtime viewing Toofy Grin I like big, fit wimmin Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy