Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding the half term crowds

Poster: A snowHead
Did a naughty, naughty thing this year and took the kids out of school a few weeks ago for a week of skiing in Zell Am See Embarassed
Very enjoyable.

Next year however its going to have to be half term as our ski gang has grown and includes a few teachers. Also, difficult GCSE/Alevel years for the kids to miss a week of school.

Does anyone know of any European resort which is not going to be jam packed to the rafters? Does such a place exist? Puzzled

Went to Banff last New Year and although it was busy, the size of piste and extent of the ski areas meant it never seemed overcrowded or like a motorway. We are considering a ten dayer in Breckenridge as we fancy ski in/ski out. Anyone been there recently??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jennyski, We have just returned from St Gervais, and although it wasn't HT week, I understand it is not much busier then, than it is any other time. We never queued for any lift, for longer than a minute or two, often had completely empty pistes to ski, and all in all, it was very civilised Very Happy I did have clients there last Feb HT week, who were used to the 3Vs in peak weeks, and couldn't get over the difference. The town has a lot going for it too, with a very French atmosphere - really not touristy at all - and reasonable prices. Only an hour from Geneva too, mostly on motorways. PM if you need any more info
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen, Thanks for that, passed through St Gervais in the Summer last year and thought it was very pretty. Will investigate that a bit more I think. Is there a good range of pistes? Im a blue cruiser whilst the rest of my gang are red/black piste bashers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jennyski, There IS a good range, but as we ski with the children now, we tend to stick to the same handful of green, blue and occasional reds. We found St Gervais in the summer, when it is glorious, but my gang are already saying they would ski there again. The area is huge and we only touched a fraction of it, so I'm sure your other people would be happy too Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, the same area is also easily accessed from Megève, which has access to other areas besides.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La Giettaz is another option that is also part of the 445km Evasion Mont Blanc (including Megeve). It's amazingly quiet because it really is a lovely alpine village, not a resort, but provides access to lots of different areas. These small gateways to the larger ski domains are also really good value - buying a day pass from the kiosk in La Giettaz is cheaper than buying exactly the same pass anywhere else in the area. The ESF is also really cheap (a week for kids is only 85 Euros and adult one-to-one tuition is 40 Euros for 1.5 hours).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, I know but we found accommodation in Megeve much more expensive than St Gervais, when researching
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jennyski, We've just returned from a week in Saint Gervais at half term and it was excellent, but not as described above. It was extremely busy. Possibly not as busy as other places but still busy none the less. We were staying at Le Grand Panorama apartments which were right next to the main lift up from the village to Le Bettex, the entry point to the main ski areas. The queue for this lift was huge, some mornings over 40 minutes. Coaches from all the local villages arrive here from about 8:20 onwards and there were hundreds of people. Even on the day we got to the lift just after 8:30 (when it opens) the queue was still about 20 minutes. And the follow on lift from Le Bettex up to the top was about 15-20 minutes as well. It usually took about an hour to reach the top of the mountain.

Once there, the queues out and about were not usually as bad as that, the biggest was about 20 minutes at the popular places but if you go further afield (its a big area!) you can find little gems with little, if any queues. Ski school was fully booked all week, you MUST book this in advance. We got the last couple of places for our two in the afternoon (would have preferred mornings) and their lessons didn't finish until 5:30. And the queues to get back DOWN to the village were again quite large (about 20 minutes) - there is a red run to ski back down but it was in a terrible state, with 2 road crossings, ice and rocks, not an option for most people.

All in all though we had a wonderful time, if you want more details let me know.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laax was ideal last week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worth thinking of Italy, as they don't really have half term in the same way as other many other European countries. So are often a fair bit quieter. Spent five minutes on a sunny Thursday morning last week paused on the edge of the piste wondering if anyone would come past - they didn't wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 21-02-10 19:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Used Italy for far too many (to remember) school trips at half term and the Italian resorts were never THAT busy. Certainly less so than France
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jennyski, La Thuile was pretty empty at half-term three years back (stayed in La Rosiere but the Italian side of Espace San Bernando was definitely quieter). Serre Chevalier wasn't too bad a couple of years ago, and - the Sunday apart - Folgarida was fine last week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Selva wasn't too crowded last week - never had to queue for more than10 mins for a lift and most - esp Away from the sella rondA circuit we usually skied straight on to
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valloire.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jennyski wrote:
We are considering a ten dayer in Breckenridge as we fancy ski in/ski out. Anyone been there recently??

It's been a while since we were in Breck, but it and nearby Vail are probably the busiest North American resorts that we've visited. That's a major factor in us not having returned, especially as half term in the UK usually coincides with President's weekend in the USA. Most North American resorts are blissfully quiet during our half term, though. For example, Jackson last week had its busy moments but it certainly wasn't overcrowded.

What kind of skiing are you looking for, and are you willing to look beyond Europe? The ideal resort will vary hugely according to your preferences.
snow report
Jennyski, I went with my family and a couple of others to our place in Morillon a couple of years back and was very pleasantly surprised at the lack of queues and how civilised it was. If I didn't rent it out we would have been back there this year. Having said that, I have just returned from half term in San Cassiano in the Dolomites and, apart from a first day queue for the gondala, there were few other queues that we encountered. So, I'd recommend both.
ski holidays
My own recommendation to avoid half term crowds is to stay away from the French resorts. Other countries do not have the same half term and the French are too proud to ski outside their country.
ski holidays
Lots of good suggestions thanks Smile

Jonny Jones, Yes we are currently investigating Breck, we've done Banff a will consider any options really. I just dont like overcrowded motorway busy pistes!
ski holidays
Jennyski, it's a very long journey (normally two changes of aircraft in each direction), but Big Sky is well worth a look. Plenty of ski in/out accommodation, and incredibly quiet trails with, unusually for North America, extensive intermediate skiing on perfectly groomed runs. There's no shortage of tough skiing, too, if your group has a few experts.
snow report
"and the French are too proud to ski outside their country"

While generally true about any form of holiday taken by the French, I noted last week that about 10% of the skiers in Passo Tonale were from France (the rest were from Italy, Denmark and Britain)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy