Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do modern skis require modern boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I pose the question because after almost twelve years and probably about thirty five weeks or more skiing, my old boots packed up on me a few weeks ago. They went downhill (no pun intended) fast rather like a terminally ill patient.

I was sad to see them go, not only because they had served me well, but also because I have had problems in the past getting new boots to fit, so I was not looking forward to changing. I was also off to La Grave with an SCGB group and La Grave was the last place I would normally want to break in new boots. The boots were fine in the end after me spending a couple of hours in the snowdome at MK where I became aware of the problem spots and a fair bit of discomfort over the first four days skiing in La Grave.

What I immediately noticed however as we jumped off straight away last week into the powder at the side of the La Grave poma on the glacier, that despite the discomfort, I seemed to be standing in a much better position on my skis than with my previous boots. As the week went on I felt that my skiing off piste had distinctly improved. Other people who had seen me ski before also said the same and in fact my ski cluib grading went up a notch at the end of the week which has not happened for some years.

It therefore occurred to me that in the twelve years since I last bought boots, ski design has moved on considerably, so to the technicians reading this, have the boot manufacturers changed the design of boots to conform to modern ski design?

It may just be that ski boots have improved generally but I think there may be a bit more to it than that.

All observations welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richjp, good question.

I've often wondered about this ... particularly when you see people wearing those old 'rear-entry' boots (no jokes please).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw a guy last week in Zermatt with 2009 HEAD Supershape iSpeed skis and 1960's Leather Boots. WTF Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the boot still has rebound and fits properly, no.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, Dinner Party Skier. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

'rear-entry' boots (no jokes please).

they gotta be a pain in the @rse rolling eyes

richjp, most likley just a better fit for you it is possible that the ramp angle or the set up of the boot matches you better too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy