Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Ski Resort for Childcare

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Haven't been skiing this year. Went off to Thailand instead with our 3.5year old. Really want to go skiing next though, but will have a 4.5yr old and a 5 month year old in tow. Thinking of going either side of Feb half term to bring the costs down or alternatively over Feb half term. Really want to go to a chalet or something like that but really expensive over half term so thinking of doing a diy trip so getting self catering accomodation and then driving down. Problem is how do you then book childcare in the resort. What is the best resort for booking childcare yourself without the help of a travel operator and also will the staff speak english. My eldest is very funny about going on holidays. She hated Thailand and wanted to come home the whole time. Same thing happened in France camping last year. We want to make the whole experience as fun packed as possible with plenty of kids at hand to keep her entertained. A club chalet is probably our best bet, but having seen pre-brochure prices for next year already the cost is mounting. Any hints/tips/advice greatly appreciated. Not really bothered about where we go. We tend to go to France, but open for ideas. My husband and I are both confident intermediate skiers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went DIY last year to La Rosiere - les eucharts area. We stayed in cimes blanches appartments (very luxurious self catering) and used the ESF creche at lunchtimes (both children skied in the mornings). The creche seemed good but check they take children as young as 5 months.

I think with a baby that age I wouldn't go DIY but would book a holiday with one of the smaller UK operators like ski famille, family ski co or snow bizz. Have used Snow Bizz and they were great.

If you want to go at half term I think you need to book very early.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, just to confirm that I have read this right, your eldest hates holidays, and you will have a new babe-in-arms, and you want to be able to go away, dump then on an unknown creche facility, in a strange town, whilst you go off skiing all day, and expect them to have fun packed days of non stop entertainment, all on a budget?

One word.....'Grandparents'
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went skiing to France last March when ours where a month shy of 4 and 20 months old (with grandparents), and then again in December when 4yrs 8 months and 2yrs 5 months (without grandparents). We are going again at Easter. I can only relate my own experiences. We didn't want to put our kids into a creche or ski school. We wanted to look after them and teach them to ski ourselves. My wife is from southern Germany and skied from an early age and have done quite a lot of skiing. I have done a number of catered chalet holiday packages but in recent years it's all been DIY driving and self catering. Driving overnight was surprisingly easy even given the exceptionally bad weather we had driving down in December. The beauty of S/C with little kids is that you can eat what you like, when you like. They can run around the living space without interfering with anyone. And there is no issue with bathrooms. For learning on you need to hand pick somewhere next to a diddy slope, preferably with a moving carpet/conveyer belt type thing. Last March we spent the first 3 afternoons on such a diddy slope with the eldest and it was great. We then progressed to long blue runs. I can give you more advice if you need it.

I must say 5 months is pushing it. We went when with the grandparents when our first was 8 months. At that age you can't do a great deal with them outside. So that will be a bit of a bind. But the older one should do great and really want to get them skiing as early as poss.

If you want to discuss further let me know.

Layne
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the last two years we've done Les Gets with Ski Famille - even with a 6 month old they were wonderful and made what could have been an ordeal a real relaxing week away.

Les Gets is only an hour's transfer from Geneva, and at a lower altitude it's more easily bearable for the little ones. It's a pretty village with plenty to do even for non-skiers, and as the whole company is predicated on delivering great childcare, great chalet hosting and great skiing equally, they have the equipment, infrastructure and staff to execute it perfectly.

They're not the cheapest (although every pound is well worth it), but from experience it's simply not fun to try to do a young family holiday without backup - either from family or from the professionals.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus in Austria is very child orientated - the search function should bring up a few threads about Serfaus.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest, I really don't mean this in an insulting way, it depends on what kind of parent you are. My wife took a full 12 months off work, breastfed that whole time and did not leave the child with anyone apart from immediate family, and even then only for a couple of hours (which is how we managed to go skiing when our first born was 8 months). On the other hand we have a friend who have gone back to work after 3 months, leaving the child with a minder/nursery and another who was quite comfortable with leaving baby with grandparents for several days. Not saying one way or another is right. But in terms of babies it's the crucial factor.

Layne
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+ 1 for Snowbizz but that's not going to be DIY.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've actually just posted up a trip report from Kaprun in Austria with Esprit, which might be useful - there must be an element of luck of the draw with the staff, but we've been two years' running with Esprit and the kids have loved it. The skiing is fine for the level you describe, too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy