Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men's boardercross

Poster: A snowHead
Watching the Men's Boardercross from Cypress Hill. Man, that's a brutal course! Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cracking rollerball, Gromit! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
really good racing, looking forward to the skier's Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's interesting now it's side-by-side but the qualifying rounds were snooze-worthy. We switched over from watching the (ski) downhill and the missus (not a great sports fan in general) was incredulous when I told her they were actually racing for time - she thought they were just pootling down doing course inspection such was the difference in speed and quality from the downhill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After watching the last few rounds I think it should be renamed Slowpress Mountain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good final!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent event, each race was very open as to who would win, made it worth watching.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gotta comment on the Eurosport coverage of the racing - I'm sure they're watching a different race to me. "France win, no hang on, it was the American" rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Good final!

I thought the Canadian was going to get it but where did the yank get that speed from?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great fun to watch...

Who was the co-commentator alongside ed leigh, pretty pointless if you asked me...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Canadian hit the lip of one of the landing zones and that seemed to kill a bit of his momentum. But I think the Amrican just ran the last quarter of the race much smoother than the Canadian, so he gradually reeled him him.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, I LOL when she was commenting on a rider who was not in shot Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally got to see it. The course looked like it was a disgrace - refrozen corn/crud, seemed to take out many of the riders as they hit chunks, hardly a showcase for the sport. VANOC have a lot of pissed off ticket holders too as they cancelled general admission due to too much mud.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ed Leigh was good. The person with him may as well not have been there.

But the course looked awful. No end of riders crashing out due to ruts etc. I know these guys are supposed to be the best and therefore able to deal with the conditions but the course seemed to make who finished a bit of a lottery.

Still enjoyed watching it though.

I thought the cancelled admission was actually down to too much ice sloped side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Considering the conditions, i thought it was a cracking event. Can't do anything about the weather, but they managed the poor conditions well. same as the downhill, they have to make do with what they have... it's more a lesson to the olympic committee to give the olympics to a snow sure location in future.

Back to the racing though. I did notice that most of the fallers were on the same type of board... the black ones with the more squared off front on them. looks like they were designed to give more length along the rail, but all they did was hook up on the ruts. Don't know much about boards, so don't know what make they are Puzzled

Thoroughly entertaining stuff with lots of ooooo's and aaaaaah's!

loved it Very Happy
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
bertie bassett, I LOL when she was commenting on a rider who was not in shot Very Happy

He wasn't even in the race...she was looking out the window at something Laughing
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Good final!

I thought the Canadian was going to get it but where did the yank get that speed from?

Didn't he do fantastic? Ed was just slagging him off the whole time as he has opened his own restaurant and is giving "80% of his time to that instead of training".
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Finally got to see it. The course looked like it was a disgrace - refrozen corn/crud, seemed to take out many of the riders as they hit chunks, hardly a showcase for the sport. VANOC have a lot of pissed off ticket holders too as they cancelled general admission due to too much mud.

Not bad seeing as how the snow had to be imported in and the course be built on hay; which contributed to having to ban the spectators - it was becoming unstable if I understand correctly.
snow report
It's the ladies' Boardercross tonight. Lindsey Jacobellis back in action and she apparently hasn't ruled out showboating if she's in the lead again!

I've never seen Boardercross before then mens' race last night, but I'm now hooked. Short of combining the skeleton bob with short-track skating, it's hard to see how you can come up with a better sport for TV.
snow conditions
I agree about qualifying, especially after watching the downhill. It is tedious but the interesting part is how the poor qualifiers can still win in the heats. The racing is sheer madness, though the winner was expected to be somewhere near the podium.
Tonight is when our UK rider, Zoe Gillings, mixes it up. She's a good friend of Fall-Line and Document but because the racing is so ding-dong I tend to watch it in Dr Who style ie. behind the sofa.
snow report
when's the skier-cross on?
snow conditions
We were all loving it in Broadcast Interactive at the beeb. Very watcher-friendly event, the races were great and love Ed Leigh's commentary. His commentating partner is actually very knowledgeable but Ed has the enthusiasm and presence!
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules, she was knowledgeable but as a team they did not work, should have left Ed on his own I think
ski holidays
I reckon the boarder cross would be much more interesting if they had a big ramp like the moguls at the end, and there were additional points given (and seconds taken off their time) for spectacular tricks - that would mean that if you crashed out early in the course you could still qualify by pulling off something spectacular at the end (within reason) or you could overtake a competitor doing the same old boring stuff going down by doing a simple grab or spin at the end.
snow report
Monium, I disagree entirely and think that "artistic" merit points are of no value,I don't doubt that it's hard to do these things but when there's a subjective element of "how well" something was performed it detracts from the sporting qualities, for me. Moguls might be betterif the jumps were mandated - e.g. on in the first round you do a 360 then a back flip, by the final you;re doing an iron cross back flip then an off axis 720
latest report
nbt, agree with your point about artistic merit - can't have that in a race environment, which is the point of boardercross. Don't fancy having someone pulling more rotations than a Moulinex blender a foot away from my left ear... Shocked

Did watch the ski moguls contest with interest but have to disagree with you about being better if tricks were mandated. Think the format works well with the combination of timing, technical proficiency of the mogul field and the artistic flare of the execution of the jumps.

Shame there isn't a slope-style constest for boarders in the olympics a-la X-Games, especially with Jenny Jones doing so well there.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
nbt, agree with your point about artistic merit - can't have that in a race environment, which is the point of boardercross. Don't fancy having someone pulling more rotations than a Moulinex blender a foot away from my left ear... Shocked

It's an extreme sport isn't it? Not too worried about a moulinex blender near your left ear, they've got helmets on don't they?
snow conditions
lower, the lady 'commentating' with Ed Leigh was Stine Brun Kjeldass - a former pro-snowboarder.

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/felixfeatures/gallery-img-show/Stine-Brun-Kjeldaas-by-Fredrik-Naumann/G0000_MpV6_gavu0/?&_bqG=8&_bqH=eJxzSUxLdk5PDvDKcPdyNKpITEktMgg3rcpydSq2MrKwMjQwsLJyj_d0sXU3AIJ434Iws_j0xLJSA7UAkKiau2e8u6OPj2tQJDZFAFCbHFI-&I_ID=I0000faU9ngp3mvY

Useless as a commentator, but would've been better if she was simply 'window dressing' - Doesn't work so well when she is stuck behind a mic and not in front of the camera!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S, looks a bit rough to me, what I like to refer to as a 'radio face'.... Twisted Evil

nbt wrote:
.....doing an iron cross back flip then an off axis 720

I have no idea what this means..... Embarassed
snow report
Jon.L wrote:
I have no idea what this means..... Embarassed

Uhh, get with the program Grandad! Very Happy
ski holidays
Jon.L, I only know because that's what they said on the telly when someone did jumps Smile
snow conditions
As an arm-chair punter I thought the Canadian due to inexperience or what ever other reason played it safe by boarding the slower racing line and not taking any chances rather than attacking the course. With the huge lead over Seth Mascott/Alcott he should have won imo. Really exciting stuff though.

Are the course conditions making it really difficult for the boarders to go straight at speed? Several were twitchy at speed almost stacking it which adds to the excitement.
snow conditions
I thought men's bordercross was awesome. Seriously good stuff.
latest report
Enjoyable.....but is no one annoyed by the noise the camer on the wire makes?

Like an air raid siren!
latest report
dave_m, Yep still getting it on the ladies tonight, they need to turn that mic off.
snow conditions
sambers85 wrote:
I thought bordercross was awesome.

I thought it was a type of dog. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

He wasn't even in the race...she was looking out the window at something Laughing

She was a right muppet - unbelievably bad!
snow report
The boarders look like they could fall at any stage, is it reallly that much more unstable than 2 planks?
ski holidays
Peter Ross, Yes, there is no way to counterbalance the slope by shifting your weight to the other leg, you have use your arms or torso.
ski holidays
beequin, Ye looks so much harder than skiing the same course, same when you look at the slalom boarders. I wouldn't like to gamble on it as looks like you could fall anywhere even without any contact.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy