Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FYI Driving cost Update

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just got back from an awesome 6 days skiing in courcheval region.
I was grateful we had a flexible chalet owner who did not mind us turning up a night early which gave us an extra days skiing. We also had a Sunday turn around which was really good for avoiding the traffic and enjoying 2 days of empty slopes.

We stayed in courcheval la praz, skiing was great with lots of powder 2 days of fog and cold also 2 days of sun, 2 days over cast. Pack some warm thermal gloves.

I have a good Iphone app and can say the cost of a 2.5 saloon car doing 30 mpg cost us £401
This included £140 ferry, all tolls and petrol from Surrey - Courcheval and shopping trip.
We managed the return journey in 7.5 hours and just caught a early ferry.

Chalet was £200 pp/w ski pass was £170 ish I think and stung a little. Food+lots of booze £70 pp

The skiing run are great and varied. But courcheval 1850 £10 for 1 500ml beer was unbelievable. With added rude waiters.
(Is service included in all french resturants?) recently I have noticed all bills seem to have service compris.
I just dont understand how 1850 gets a way with it.

We headed to the ski lodge in La Tania for lunch every day because prices were normal (11 euro burger and 5 euro pint) and atmosphere excellent.
It is a very English pub and we even saw 10 French people walk out after seeing the menu.

I still swear by the self drive self catering evertime for convience and cost at under £500 all in is excellent value.

I really wish I could go straight back but sadly the real world awaits my return.

Love and kisses to all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2.5 petrol saloon car?

How come the ferry was so expensive? P&O doing £20 each way at the moment, and at convenient times too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes sorry you are right well spotted:-)

That price was for the 2 cars we took down.
3+3 people per car.
So cost was actually £70 per car (£40 out £30 return). we paid the extra £5-10 each way to take the most favourable ferry times to prevent a 6 am start and travel at sensible times. If we were driving overnoght it would have been even cheaper.

Checked my app and still worked out £400 for my car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool. We're self driving to Morzine in a few weeks and useful to see the real world cost vs what the route planners and my fag packet calculations come up with Smile

We'd budgeted £450 all in, including european breakdown cover, so in the same ballpark as my numbers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We just got back from soll. The drive is a bit further than the 3 valleys. My 2 litre car cost eur250 in petrol there and back, and the ferry was £55 rtn. We already have euro breakdown on our bank account benefits so didnt pay any extra for that. As we drove through Belgium, Luxembourg & Germany there were no toll charges. Im not bothered about petty costs like depreciation as I really dont think my car is worth any less today than it was a few weeks ago before we went, and if it is ....who cares!

All in all it worked out about the same or slightly cheaper than flying (£200 rtn to munich, £100 transfer rtn and about £50 aiport parking) for 2 of us, but the convinience of having the car was superb. We drove to the further out resorts on a few days to give us more skiing time in those areas. Also we took as much stuff as we wanted like clothes , skis and food with no 15 or 20 kg limit.

This was the first time I have driven on an alpine ski trip (out of about 10) and I really enjoyed it. Next year we are driving too. Would only go by plane again if on a short trip etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Driving to me is the only way to travel to west europe you forgot the extra charges for taking skis and boots on a plane. The drive was 3.5 hours faster than the last time I flew to a resort and no 2 hours standing in a line at checking and passport control.
We also used my car for a trip to the supermarket down the mountain to stock up on massive amounts food and booze Happy which would have saved us a fortune compared to resort supermarket prices.

My car is also subaru with all wheel drive and didnt bother with euro cover. I did buy snow chains for 58 euro but I have not used them and hopefully I can use them next year or ebay them.

Also go for your light converters from ebay. I bought my triangle, vest etc from the french halfords equivalent for much cheaper than halfords in the UK.
Also I recomend you fill up in the UK where possible with dover prices at £1.129/L and Fench prices about 1.40euro/L believe it or not UK fuel is cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr wrote:
We just got back from soll. The drive is a bit further than the 3 valleys. My 2 litre car cost eur250 in petrol there and back, and the ferry was £55 rtn. We already have euro breakdown on our bank account benefits so didnt pay any extra for that. As we drove through Belgium, Luxembourg & Germany there were no toll charges. Im not bothered about petty costs like depreciation as I really dont think my car is worth any less today than it was a few weeks ago before we went, and if it is ....who cares!

All in all it worked out about the same or slightly cheaper than flying (£200 rtn to munich, £100 transfer rtn and about £50 aiport parking) for 2 of us, but the convinience of having the car was superb. We drove to the further out resorts on a few days to give us more skiing time in those areas. Also we took as much stuff as we wanted like clothes , skis and food with no 15 or 20 kg limit.

This was the first time I have driven on an alpine ski trip (out of about 10) and I really enjoyed it. Next year we are driving too. Would only go by plane again if on a short trip etc

What bank account is that with Dave? I need to change banks anyway, so if the rates are reasonable I might as well move to somebody that has a benefit that saves me £50 straight off. Currently have 14 year old Subaru, so despite it's workhorse reliability breakdown is coming in pretty expensive, and I won't do the drive without it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy_genge wrote:
The drive was 3.5 hours faster than the last time I flew to a resort

It's rather more effective if you;re in the south-east. As it would be 5 or 6 hours to Dover for me (5 hours on Google maps, but I don't drive fast and stop regularly), it's rather less attractive. I'm only in Manchester, goodness only knows what it would be like if you were further north, or in Mid wales with an hour or more to the nearest motorway!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, it takes me about the same length of time from Durham, as it would from Manchester. One stop for breakfast in Lincolnshire, one more loo stop in Kent if we have time. Usually leave home at 6am, and arrive at Eurotunnel in time for the 12.20 train
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess the key difference on this is that it takes me 2 hours to be in Dover boarding the ferry Smile If I was further north I wouldn't do it, far easier to fly than to start and end a holiday driving 5 or 6 hours through the UK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, we still choose to drive, but go for two weeks at a time. For us, flying is just as difficult. lack of flights to many Alps destinations from here, and we often take the dog with us if we have no-one at home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it makes sense for a car load of people who have got longer than a week for their ski holiday and can share the cost. But for an individual like me who lives 4-5 hours from Dover and can be in resort in 6-8 hours by flying, it makes no sense at all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Headlight beam converters. Don't be a cheapskate and use black insulating tape. Buy some of the prismatic ones, probably the best thing I've ever spent £5 on.

http://www.care4car.com/productdisplay/productid/36/Volkswagen_VW_Passat_2005_onwards_Headlight_Beam_Deflectors.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, if you need them regularly, you can get a pack of 5 on ebay for about £20 including postage,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy