Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indoor Ski Centre in Southampton, few years time...???

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4879975.Developers_queue_up_to_build_snow_dome/

Was sent today a link about people wanting a snowdome being put in place on the Bournemouth seafront, across a well known social networking site wink. It also linked to this article which interested me somewhat.

I definitely think we need an indoor snow facility in the more central south as I'm sure as well as from a tourism point of view it would be beneficial, and definitely would have the interest from people further down here (like myself!) not wanting to travel past london. Would this actually be likely to happen though despite "developer interest".....?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-02-10 0:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be a snowdome somewhere South or South West of London, but it won't be far from the M25. I know parties are looking at sites at the moment, I would give it about 2 years until there is one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
... put in place on the Bournemouth seafront ...

That's a dumb place to locate a snowdome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely no chance in this current financial climate
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bournemouth has talked of a snowdome for a long time. Can't see it ever happening myself. Guildford is the place to stick a big one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More chance in Southampton than Bournemouth, at least Southampton has teh space, plus and perhaps more importantly the possibility of better links to both public transport and teh motorway system
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, the transport links with the Southampton site are ok at best; trying to get there on a Saturday afternoon when there's a home football game will be horrific though. After yesterday's game (and let's not talk about the result.....) traffic around the stadium and the city was gridlocked, it took well over an hour for many to get out of the city. The public transport links for the proposed site are not great either; the nearest train station is Southampton Central which is a 15-20 minute walk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
Bournemouth has talked of a snowdome for a long time. Can't see it ever happening myself. Guildford is the place to stick a big one.

Not in my backyard. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FiFi_Trixibell, Hemel Hempstead IS in the south of England!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry should have clarified - I think it's a stupid idea to have one on bmouth seafront and i dont think I would ever happen but I do think southampton would be great if the backing was there.

Laundryman - hemel hempstead is a 2 hour drive away! It's not really close enough to go regularly to be fair!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FiFi_Trixibell, sure - but the answer to your question in the thread title is 'yes, it already has'. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FiFi_Trixibell, Actually I can think of a nice run in B'mouth, from the St michaels Rd carpark down Commercial Road to the Square ought to be quite nice, or teh whole length of Old Christchurch road would be a good one, with a black run joining coming down from teh police station Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2 hours is not far. Think of the people who live further than 2 hours from a UK snow dome. I guess I'm reasonably lucky that Tamworth is less than an hour away and Manchester, Castleford less than two hours. But location is an important thing. Tucked down on the south coast might not be a big enough catchment area to be financially viable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

2 hours is not far

4 hours driving (assuming you go home as well!) for an hour or so of sliding & queuing is too far for most. And anyway, Bournemouth to HH on a really good day might be a couple of hours but more likely closer to three what with the M25 roadworks and the general possibility of a hold up. A long ride for a short slide.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, Actually I can think of a nice run in B'mouth, from the St michaels Rd carpark down Commercial Road to the Square ought to be quite nice, or teh whole length of Old Christchurch road would be a good one, with a black run joining coming down from teh police station Laughing

Haha! Now to find some snow cannons and we're all set!

Quote:
4 hours driving (assuming you go home as well!) for an hour or so of sliding & queuing is too far for most. And anyway, Bournemouth to HH on a really good day might be a couple of hours but more likely closer to three what with the M25 roadworks and the general possibility of a hold up. A long ride for a short slide.

Definitely agree with this. I know theoretically 2hours is not that far (I used to drive to and from plymouth regularly for uni); but I know if there was a facility within an hour's reach then I would make an effort to go but what with petrol prices, driving time, cost of the sessions on top yar de yar..... all means I wouldn't go to HH at present. I just think it would be cool to have a bit more stuff for the "south" southern region and southampton is kinda bang smack in the middle.
snow conditions
kosciosco, Looking at sites doesn't mean it will happen within 2 years. The critical factors are the banks being prepared to lend to high risk projects again (which indoor slopes are), and the retail / leisure market improving to the extent that operators are prepared to take a risk on prelets at an unproven scheme. Developers might try to secure sites now whilst land values are compartively low, but I think we'll need to see the economy start to improve before they get underway with construction..
snow report
beanie1, That depends whether the investors need to borrow from the banks and whether they have existing slopes which have proven themselves financially.

I know that investors in these circumstances are looking at sites.
snow report
FiFi_Trixibell, just noticed you went to Plymouth Uni, so did I how odd Happy
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, just noticed you went to Plymouth Uni, so did I how odd Happy

Hooray for Plymouth! I graduated 2008. Are you a recent or a not so recent graduate?
snow report
I cant see it myself, the council have already blown the budget on the surf reef.
snow report
LOL Oh I'm a definately not so recent graduate, way back in hmm '91 for me LOL
ski holidays
Why would anyone build a ski centre in a place where 50% of your circle of target customers... is the sea?
snow conditions
Plus we have the highest population of OAP,s, alcoholics and drug addicts whose only interest would be in the other type of white stuff, not snow.
snow report
kosciosco, I didn't say they weren't looking at sites (I know they are), I said they were unlikely to be built within 2 years for the reasons above.

I'd be very surprised if any investors were to build an indoor slope using 100% equity - the return would be awful.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
kosciosco, I didn't say they weren't looking at sites (I know they are), I said they were unlikely to be built within 2 years for the reasons above. I'd be very surprised if any investors were to build an indoor slope using 100% equity - the return would be awful.

unless the land is 'free', I doubt this would be viable

plus a few quotes that set the alarm bells ringing

Quote:
About 20 surrounding businesses could be forced to make way for the snow dome and the council has confirmed it would consider using its Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) powers.

Instead SnoZone!, a part of the X-Leisure Group, has teamed up with an unnamed property developer to make a joint bid for the Town Depot site.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
unless the land is 'free', I doubt this would be viable

I think it would need to be cheaper than that.

Has anyone seen the episode of the Simpsons where Springfield has a monorail installed?
latest report
bar shaker, so thats how the Southampton one got approval. Developers told them "It's more of a Portsmouth kind of idea"...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy