Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flattening gouged PTEX ski base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just come back from a great week in Meribel, a large portion of which i spent off piste.

My first experience of proper powder skiing, and it was amazing! The only downside is that i hit a rock or two along the way.

No serious edge of base damage, mostly just a few gouges in the bases and a few burrs on the edges.

What i do have is one more significant gouge in the PTEX base of one ski. Its not gone through the ptex to the base of the ski and is probably no more than 2-3mm wide and 75mm long but the PTEX has deformed around the gouge and stands slightly proud of the base of the ski.

Obviously this doesn't seem right and i want to make the base of the ski flat again before edging and waxing.

How best can i do this? Razor blade to the raised edges of the ptex? File?

I'm sure a full base grind would fix the problem but as the rest of the base is fine it seems a bit of an overkill.

All advice appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Metal scraper is good, or a stanley blade, you might as well fill it while you are there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In such circumstances I take a knife to the proud base the same day - doesn't matter if you take a bit much off as you are going to repair it properly later anyhow. Once I do get back, then just fill we ptex in the normal manner (ptex gun if you have one - or access to one).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Couple of photos to show the damage

is this damage significant enough to require filling? I don't have access to a ptex gun so i'd be using a candle unless anyone can suggest a better method.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not an expert at this sort of thing but if it were my ski, I'd just fill and wax. In fact I have similar gouges on skis that I've accumulated over the last 10 skiing days or so that I've lazily ignored for too long but intended filling tonight.

Quote:
is this damage significant enough to require filling?

It'll be marginally more difficult to wax that ski efficiently but other than a tiny bit more friction, it's not really going to hurt the performance. Just fill it with ptex, scrape and rewax.

Quote:
I don't have access to a ptex gun so i'd be using a candle unless anyone can suggest a better method.

2 or 3 applications and scrapes using less than 1/2 a stick will fill it nicely. Confused by 'candle' ... the flame of a ptex stick is self sustaining once lit with a lighter.

My damage Embarassed ... ski early season in Scotland and you learn to ignore it Smile ...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 14-02-10 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lower, tbh I wouldn't bother filling that, just scrape it flat with a metal blade. If, at some point, you get a base grind the you could fill it before that but it's not that deep.

Others will disagree but if I filled every hole like that on my boards I'd probably halve my snow days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree, once the raised edges are taken down level with the base the remaining score mark probably won't be too deep.

Ptex candle material is quite weak and will probably pull out after a short time so will be a waste of time if you tried that and a base grind is just shortening your skis life no real gain at this stage.
Repairs don't absorb wax either so best kept to a minimum.

I'd wait till you've got a few more deeper scars before worrying.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all of the above. I've got a stanley knife scraper tool so i'll use that to flatten the base and then see how bad the damage is. I don't think the score will be that deep once the raised edges are removed and the base is other wise in good condition.

Certainly a lot better than moffatross's bases!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy