Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To Counter Or Not

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been left a little bit confused after a few days off piste coaching a couple of years ago.
At one point we were asked to ski down a short section on piste doing short turns while being observed.

The comments that came back were interesting - apparently I ski very old school, I think that was mostly because I tended to use a lot of vertical movement which is something I've been trying to tame.
What I was asked to work on at the time was to keep the upper body turning with the ski and use less counter. This was encouraged in all types of turn.

My normal style on piste is to face straight down the fall line on short turns with progressively less counter as the turns get wider.

Where I've become a bit confused is whether the advice to turn with the skis is something that was intended as an off piste technique only or is it something I should try to adopt on piste.
I've found aligning more with the ski of benefit off piste but am at a loss to see any advantage on firm snow.

Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course you're going to keep /some/ counter in every turn. On piste and off: the duality is false.

The point is to learn to feel out what the _minimum_ necessary amount of counter is given the specific ski you're on, given the turn shape you're trying to make, given the snow conditions, and to make anything more than that a conscious choice.

I merely reckon they were trying to break you out of the habit of automatically creating big counter regardless of all those factors.

As to

rich wrote:
face straight down the fall line on short turns

ever played with facing /diagonally/ to the fall line on short turns, i.e. intentionally skewing your direction of travel to the fall line?

If so, is the counter you create while doing this symmetrical?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Makes sense what you say.

comprex wrote:

ever played with facing /diagonally/ to the fall line on short turns, i.e. intentionally skewing your direction of travel to the fall line?

If so, is the counter you create while doing this symmetrical?

Not as a deliberate exercise. My guess is that the counter wouldn't be symmetrical, not sure where this is going Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This discussion from a while back my be useful:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21017#483806
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, great thread. I'm no mathematician (far from it Embarassed) but V8's explanation makes sense even to me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy wrote:
This discussion from a while back my be useful:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21017#483806

Maybe our instructor had a bit of Swiss in him.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would still assume that in steep skiing and in narrow couloirs one should always keep the upper body facing down the slope (as Remi Lecluse confirmed to me last year).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-02-10 12:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
I would still assume that in steep skiing and in narrow couloirs one should always keep the upper body facing down the slope (as Remi Lecluse confirmed to me last year).

snap for me, upper body tracks the skis in all other situations IMHO
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, that's easy to agree with.

Is that really any sort of revelation though? We look where we want to go, and we counter more when we need to angulate more.

What I laugh at is when that style of skiing is exaggerated and used in all instances on all pistes, as being the most desireable 'look'.

Spending all that energy just to follow the same line as a dropped football would, one without brains or training. On piste. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, well perhaps no revelation, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Spending all that energy just to follow the same line as a dropped football would". Is this an attack on skiing down the fall line - long touted as what "experts" should do (?) I have, however, heard various people say that countering is now out of date. I just wanted to point out that it is only "out of date" in some circumstances.
(As you know I don't really ski pistes, except to get somewhere when there is no off-piste alternative, so I must confess I'm not fully au fait with what goes on there or what current teaching is).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
(As you know I don't really ski pistes, except to get somewhere when there is no off-piste alternative, so I must confess I'm not fully au fait with what goes on there or what current teaching is).

Good skiing on piste shouldn't be much different to good skiing off-piste. Maybe a bit less need for jump turns and massive traverses, but otherwise pretty similar.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, yes, I had thought so. I was responing to comprex's "on piste" remarks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
Is this an attack on skiing down the fall line - long touted as what "experts" should do (?)

It is an attack on short turns down the fall line being the epitome of expert piste skiing, yes.

So long as that idea exists, intermediates will continue to throw their skis into highly countered braking poses, just for the sake of the look of the thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy