Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best area in the dolomites for intermediates???

Poster: A snowHead
hey i want to go at the end of march to my dads (which funnily enough is right near the dolomites) i was woundering ...what is the best out of the 12 areas for intermediates ??? as my brother is taking up snowboarding i want to take him on one or two blues (but he picks every sport up so easily a very fast learner and is taking lessons before we go )lots of red runs and see how he gets on on them but my boyfriend will want to go off and do lots of black runs of the hairraising kind!!!!(as scary as you can get them) some powder would also be good Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"woundering" ! Is that an omen !!!
Some of us are lucky to have just been .corvara would be ok and it's on the circuit if he progreses enough in a day??? Alba , canazei ( next to each other by bus) another good one . Start in alba though as it is quieter snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh thanks , yeah hes a quick learner the kind of guy who just has to get on a pair of ski's or snowboard and within a day he can do it like a pro arghhh its so annoying its the same with everything ... but i can palm him off on my dad for a bit corvana sounds good for the bf and i, i think im going to have to take him to the snowdome before we go ... see if he can keep up with his old sis wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ata Badia (#3) without doubt is best for intermediates as it has the most blue runs in area Colfosc/Corava.

The Socrepes (or the lower section of Tofane) of Cortina d'Ampezzo (#1) is also a fantastic area even if you dislike blue runs (nearly all blue runs there) as it is very sunny and well spaced out there.

Apls di Siusi is opposite to Ortisei (#4) and has been advertised as a family area. It does have a large flat and easy terrain even though some runs are marked red. Kronplatz (#12) on the other hand has the majority of the run marked blue to Olang Valdora and St Vigil but I hound many steep sections but the lower section to St Vigil is exceptional flat and beginner friendly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee wrote:
Ata Badia (#3) without doubt is best for intermediates as it has the most blue runs in area Colfosc/Corava.

Personally, I would dispute that any one area is "the best for intermediates", since pretty well the whole of the Dolomiti Superski region is perfect for intermediates. I certainly would not try to claim that any area is "without doubt" the best for intermediates.

I would also VERY strongly disagree that having "the most blue runs in an area" makes it particularly good for intermediates. I would expect most intermediates to be spending most of their time on reds - I certainly spent most of my time on reds when I was in the Dolomites, and I am no more than a lower intermediate level skier (even now, and I have had four more trips since then).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harriet, it would probably make sense for you to ski an area that is easily reachable from your dad's place, if that's where you're staying. It would be helpful to know where that is and you will get some specific recommendations as to which area to hit. The Dolomites cover a large area and there are high mountain passes that need to be crossed to get from one side to another.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
he lives on the outskirts of northern milan , but think were renting an apartment for 3 nights now , he mentioned something about chamois if my brother comes as alex_heney, said as an intermediate i would like to spend most of my time on reds, and lots of them! between 4 of us we can "babysit" but he will be fine , also were going to have to go high up as it will be the end of march i think Puzzled (never been in spring eeek exciting stuff ) personally i like something challenging but not too scary you lose all confidence whereas the other half likes as scary as you can get it because reds are not challenging enough for him rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
harriet, hmm, Milan is a long way from the Dolomites and I can't think of anywhere in the Dolomites that sounds like chamois, maybe your dad is taking you to Champoluc or Chamonix both of which are closer to Milan than the Dolomites but in a completely opposite direction. Puzzled

I haven't been to either of those places, so wouldn't be able to help, sorry! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well i found out that chamois is actually infact a type of deer/antelope creature found in the italian alps Puzzled i may suggest some places as nothing is booked yet , how is sella ronda in march ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
harriet wrote:
well i found out that chamois is actually infact a type of deer/antelope creature found in the italian alps Puzzled i may suggest some places as nothing is booked yet , how is sella ronda in march ?

Still a long way from Milan Smile (Unless it is "Milan" Bergamo airport, when you could probably reach Val di Fassa in under 4 hours).

The Western (Brenta) Dolomites are closer to Milan.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harriet wrote:

Hey, guess what, there is a tiny ski resort named Chamois, it's in Val Tournenche just down the valley from Cervinia. The village is only reachable by cablecar, has 3 chairlifts and a drag, looks cute and at 1800m should be good for snow in March:

http://www.chamoisimpianti.it/

http://www.sport-invernali.com/IT/Resort_guide/trail_map.php?idv=1733

I think that's the Matterhorn in the distance in the photo!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ahhh well done luigi, i thought it was a bit strange the search results were comming up with this ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois Laughing yeah it looks cute but the lack of runs may be a problem for the bf as when we go its literally ski ski ski with no breaks for anything but the piste map looks good for me as i am nowhere near as good as him and favour reds over anything else
i really want to see the matterhorn too , i looked it up on youtube and looks very very pretty!

thankyou luigi, you seem to know everything about ski resorts in every country from what ive seen of your posts Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney,

Any offer of your own contribution on "best area in the dolomites for intermediates???"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would agree with saikee that Alta Badia (#3) is best for blues (see the numerous other threads for whether this is "intermediate or not wink
). Pralongia and Colfosco have numerous wide sweeping blues.

However, the area is not ideal for snowboarders - there are quite a few flat bits which, if he's not too good, will really start to get annoying!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well on piste maps red's are classed as intermediate and given that most of the blacks are like French reds I'd suggest Arabba. Which also puts you close to Marmolada and the Hidden Valley.

I disagree about the flats being a problem for boarders, I went there when I was pretty much a beginner and had no trouble with them, that was my 3rd trip boarding ever and those three were spread over 10 years.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
alex_heney,

Any offer of your own contribution on "best area in the dolomites for intermediates???"

Nope.

I stand by my first comment "Personally, I would dispute that any one area is "the best for intermediates", since pretty well the whole of the Dolomiti Superski region is perfect for intermediates. "

I really honestly do not believe that any reasonable intermediate skier would find any area of the Dolomites to be anything but good.
latest report
Have to join in. I can't resist. All the Val Gardena area is wonderful in March. I'd highly recommend it. Been loads of times and still adventures to be had. If you like jaw dropping scenery, delicious food, fabulous service, wonderful, if a little easy, skiing then give it a try. You will not be disappointed. Personally I'm not keen on the Covara/Colfosco area, I prefer Selva as a base. Lively and fun with great access onto the sella ronda. Its an easy drive from Milan (3hrs) on great roads. A lunch stop by the lakes or in a Verona Piazza is a wonderful break to the drive. One down side... once you have skied here other top resorts (St Anton, 3 Valleys, Chamonix) seam to loose a little of their appeal. The skiing is without doubt easy but the mountain huts and variety of adventures make up for this. From a ski tow that’s a horse drawn sleigh to the amazing Val di Mezdi to Anna’s restaurant for strudel in the sun over at Ortesi to World war museum up in the mountains..... Oh never mind the blacks of Arraba and the majestic Marmolada .... I guess I love this area! You will too.
snow conditions
gill543210, that's not fair . Grhhh I want to go back now!!!! Bloomin marvelous snowHead
latest report
gill543210 wrote:
Have to join in. I can't resist. All the Val Gardena area is wonderful in March. I'd highly recommend it. Been loads of times and still adventures to be had. If you like jaw dropping scenery, delicious food, fabulous service, wonderful, if a little easy, skiing then give it a try. You will not be disappointed. Personally I'm not keen on the Covara/Colfosco area, I prefer Selva as a base. Lively and fun with great access onto the sella ronda. Its an easy drive from Milan (3hrs) on great roads. A lunch stop by the lakes or in a Verona Piazza is a wonderful break to the drive. One down side... once you have skied here other top resorts (St Anton, 3 Valleys, Chamonix) seam to loose a little of their appeal. The skiing is without doubt easy but the mountain huts and variety of adventures make up for this. From a ski tow that’s a horse drawn sleigh to the amazing Val di Mezdi to Anna’s restaurant for strudel in the sun over at Ortesi to World war museum up in the mountains..... Oh never mind the blacks of Arraba and the majestic Marmolada .... I guess I love this area! You will too.

+1

If your dad's OK to drive up to the Dolomites, I'd recommend Selva/Val Gardena too, easiest to get to if you're coming up from Milan, all the above, you won't regret it!
snow conditions
I prefer Selva as a base too.... have skied pretty much the whole area and Selva is my favourite. You can still ski Ortisei, Canazei, Campitello, Arraba, Corvara, Colfrosco from there
snow conditions
Quote:

what is the best out of the 12 areas for intermediates

In my opinion there are two very good resorts for intermediate.
The first is named "falcade - Passo San Pellegrino". It has a lot of red slopes and 3 black slopes that with good snow are not so steep and hard.
Another good resort with a lot of large and sunny slopes is Moena - Alpe Lusia not far from the beautiful town of Moena (Val di Fassa).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy