Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the point in black slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, good point. I think there are different ways of defining 'intermediate' though. I think it depends on whether one's measured against a set of skills or against other people. If you put skill level on a scale of 'never skied' to 'World Cup winner' (or some equivalent in off-piste skiing), then I'd say I was less than halfway along (and, of course, never destined to get there) and probably not even 'intermediate'. On the other hand, I'd rate myself a better skier than say 80% of folk on a typical red run, so arguably better than 'intermediate'.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robinsrule, Are you still there Puzzled or do you feel Embarassed Dont be put off snowHead these guys have all helped me learn. Keep you eye on Bend ze knees, and you will be surprised how much you learn.

Seems like ther are plenty of votes here for blacks, bumps, steeps, off piste so I would say you are in a minority. Personnaly I aspire to do all of these not just competently but importantly confidently. Then I shall enjoy them. Till then I will venture only when under instruction and keep working on my technique on the blues and reds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

How on earth would you know when that is? You'd have to be at the end to know when the middle was

It's fairly irrelevant if you know when it is lol, that doesn't change the level! As a guide, to be an intermediate (ie in the middle of what is possible skiing-wise) you should be comfortable and competent skiing (properly) on any piste. I would suggest that it would take maybe 10 weeks or so for most people to get to this level.

Blimey.. I wish it had only taken me ten weeks to be able ski down 'anything' fairly comfy, but I no longer want to hammer down at XXMPH... just doesn't make sense.. does it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you put skill level on a scale of 'never skied' to 'World Cup winner' (or some equivalent in off-piste skiing), then I'd say I was less than halfway along (and, of course, never destined to get there) and probably not even 'intermediate'

And that is how it should be measured. Otherwise an intermediate skiing with beginners would appear to be an 'expert.'

I think the scale would be beginner, to skiing well on every piste (intermediate), to skiing well and safely offpiste inc bumps, being around the level of a level 2 instuctor (advanced) to high level racing, freeride comps, ISIA level instructor or similar skill (expert)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 14-02-10 3:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I wish it had only taken me ten weeks to be able ski down 'anything' fairly comfy

I said any piste, not ski anything wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross wrote:
chrisdavis, Toofy Grin Very Happy Laughing

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56039

That thread looks really dull - but I'd quite fancy skiing on Marmite. What would I use instead of wax? Olive Oil, or Utterly Butterly.......no, wait.....Guacamole. Where do I sign?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, I quite like Rob and Scott's 'definitions' of ski levels on their website. That puts me firmly in the position of 'intermediate', a position I've been in for about half of my 30+ year ski career.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's a nice, steep, mogulled black run. Is it much fun? Certainly a challenge and if you've got good knees and want a good work out possibly, but not my cup of tea.

Pam W, skiing that is MUCH harder than skiing powder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, Soz mate, I meant any piste - like between the poles, albeit including un-pisted piste though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that Verbier (Mont Fort)? Wonderful slope. The route directly under the lift is the steepest but is off piste . Last time I skied that route it was powder so does that mean, bobinch, that you think it was easier than the less steep black? Puzzled

I agree that light powder is fairly easy once you get the hang of it - but most off piste skiing isn't light powder, it is old heavy powder or sludge, or if you are even less lucky, breakable crust.

For me, I enjoy it when the choices I make make a difference. On a red or blue I don't need to be fully attending (except to avoid hitting people who I wish weren't there) and it doesn't matter much where I turn or if I miss out a few turns, or if I carve the turns or skid them - that's boring. Off piste on steep slopes it all matters. But what is really fun is if I am making the first turns on an unmarked slope where there is no one, and no man made structures in sight. In fact that isn't just fun, that is sublime.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 14-02-10 0:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, Mmm one on the right doesn't look like a slope from the pic.. more like a vertical drop. Would love to give it a go, especially the shady corner, at the right time of day!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch,

Yuk, that looks bleedin' horrible! Cant believe anyone would enjoy that (not in that condition at least!)...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, yes, that's the front side of Mont Fort. As you say the piste is on the right. If it's all powder then it's all easy snowHead but today it looked like it was all moguls in which case none of it is easy! I would always go for the softer, less skied snow which as allanm has worked out, is usually the far right hand side. Be careful of the crevasses there though. Not visible now so looks like they've been filled in but I almost skied straight into one in December Shocked

The left hand side is also usually a bit less skied but as you say is steeper so probably similar in difficulty to the piste.

But for the best skiing off Mont Fort you should be asking about the back side....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree that I too prefer the back at Mont Fort. I'm not a fan of moguls. But the less skied snow is under the lift (to see it as moguled as this is unusual).

By the way the slope in the photo isn't anything like as steep as it looks here. The piste is less than 35º

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 14-02-10 0:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rather off topic but here's one of the routes down the backside taken an hour before the picture above....

snow conditions
bobinch, delicious.
ski holidays
Bottom line is.. that's stuff I love doing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I can never understand why people on pistes all turn on the most skied, icy bits. The easiest to keep control on are the rough bits with loose snow on.
snow report
Quote:

But what is really fun is if I am making the first turns on an unmarked slope where there is no one, and no man made structures in sight. In fact that isn't just fun, that is sublime.

That's religion.
snow report
Off piste is dangerous and horrible to turn in and nasty when you fall over and people should never be encouraged to try it NehNeh

Piste skiing is great! Remember - when you have got past 'intermediate' skier stage and mastered black pistes, you will have to defeat the boss monster, and go back to level one and ski green,blue,red and black all again but this time backwards!
And when you have done that, you have to do it forwards, but with invisible terrain.
Only when you have done all levels backwards and invisible, will you be allowed off piste.
ski holidays
I'm sure it's been said before here, but I find this obsession with the 'colour' of slopes so bourgeois.
snow conditions
I think I understand the off-piste thing although it's not something that appeals to me, but like I said on the other thread one of the great things about skiing is that it can be different things to different people. For me it's an enjoyable, exhilarating holiday a world away from my humdrum life. I like to cruise about on blue and red pistes that flatter my skiing and don't scare me.

But each to their own. That's the point. Just because the OP doesn't like black runs, doesn't mean there's no point to them. I've not met many black runs I like either.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
I think I understand the off-piste thing although it's not something that appeals to me,

OK,I'm not sure about the first part though.

Quote:

but like I said on the other thread one of the great things about skiing is that it can be different things to different people. For me it's an enjoyable, exhilarating holiday a world away from my humdrum life.

substitute piste for life here.

Quote:

But each to their own. That's the point. Just because the OP doesn't like black runs, doesn't mean there's no point to them. I've not met many black runs I like either.

I have long, long since given up looking at 'run' ratings, it's all about weather and aspect.
ski holidays
robinsrule, A few more hours & lessons and you'll find that those black pistes ARE your motorway runs.

I will probably get slapped for this - however, I do not feel you should be on black pistes at this stage of your ski career. You are causing a danger to others. But this attitude it seems is quite prevalent.
ski holidays
comprex, I meant I think I understand why people enjoy it. I know it's not for me, but I think I can see the appeal to others.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
pam w, good point. I think there are different ways of defining 'intermediate' though. I think it depends on whether one's measured against a set of skills or against other people. If you put skill level on a scale of 'never skied' to 'World Cup winner' (or some equivalent in off-piste skiing), then I'd say I was less than halfway along (and, of course, never destined to get there) and probably not even 'intermediate'. On the other hand, I'd rate myself a better skier than say 80% of folk on a typical red run, so arguably better than 'intermediate'.

Which is why people booking lessons through the ski school can be a bit of a nightmare. People class themselves as Intermediates for three main reasons. Firstly, if they arent great but just dont want to think of themselves still being a beginner after a week or two on snow. Secondly if they truly are intermediates. Thirdly if they are possibly advanced or high intermediate but dont want to seem too cocky. Imagine having all of those people under one banner in a lesson Cool
ski holidays
skidog wrote:
laundryman wrote:

Which is why people booking lessons through the ski school can be a bit of a nightmare. People class themselves as Intermediates for three main reasons. Firstly, if they arent great but just dont want to think of themselves still being a beginner after a week or two on snow. Secondly if they truly are intermediates. Thirdly if they are possibly advanced or high intermediate but dont want to seem too cocky. Imagine having all of those people under one banner in a lesson Cool

Funnily enough, talking to an instructor from a well known French ski school in LA couple of weeks back. Amongst other things... he was moaning about intermediate groups being a nightmare for reasons as above. The fact that some people deliberately put themselves in lower groups came up too.
latest report
Quote:

Firstly, if they arent great but just dont want to think of themselves still being a beginner after a week or two on snow

OP for example! IMHO you would need to be very gifted to get down a genuine steep piste safely and competently after a week or so.

Quote:

I think I understand the off-piste thing although it's not something that appeals to me, but like I said on the other thread one of the great things about skiing is that it can be different things to different people. For me it's an enjoyable, exhilarating holiday a world away from my humdrum life. I like to cruise about on blue and red pistes that flatter my skiing and don't scare me.

Amen. I used to ski with a lot of Aussie boarders who only rode "faahk'n paaadha"...unless there was a meter of freshs snow, and woe betide anyone rude enough to ride it before they had cut the first lines, theyd be sat in the restaurant moaning about lack of powder, and i made a mental note never to end up like that...

While were talking about levels, a kiwi teacher in St. Anton said unless you can stop immediately, on any terrain, then you cant reasonably consider yourself a good skier, i disagreed. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shiva_71,
Quote:

unless you can stop immediately, on any terrain, then you cant reasonably consider yourself a good skier, i disagreed. Any thoughts?

Don't know about good skier but it should be one of the first things taught and one of the first techniques mastered Smile
ski holidays
shiva_71 wrote:
While were talking about levels, a kiwi teacher in St. Anton said unless you can stop immediately, on any terrain, then you cant reasonably consider yourself a good skier, i disagreed. Any thoughts?

What do he mean by immediately? If you're doing 40mph skiing GS down an open piste the only way to stop immediately would be to ski into a tree. I can stop quickly in all conditions, but I can't defeat the laws of physics.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
but I can't defeat the laws of physics.

Maybe if we fire our Phasers in to the warp core reactor it might just work.

Sorry off topic I know but I couldn't resist it Laughing
snow conditions
Gilberts Fridge, bonus point for Star Trek reference Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

What do he mean by immediately? If you're doing 40mph skiing GS down an open piste the only way to stop immediately would be to ski into a tree. I can stop quickly in all conditions, but I can't defeat the laws of physics.

Exactly what i told him. As you say, if youre carrying 40mph, even a textbook stop youre still gonna skid a good 5m even on your edges and square to the fall line...dont quote me on 5m, if feels much further sometimes! Needless to say, no stop is completely successful without covering a random snowboarder in snow, might stop the bugs sitting in the middle of the piste for a quick nap... rolling eyes
ski holidays
rob@rar, How fast you stop determines how many ribs you break. wink
ski holidays
Spyderman, Laughing Fortunately that wasn't a sudden stop at all as I slid for some distance, although the initial impact slowed me down quite quickly.
ski holidays
A newly pisted wide black in good conditions is a lot more pleasant than an icy narrow blue full of people. I've been down about 3 blacks in my 2 weeks' skiing. I quite liked all of them in hindsight, although my first was due to a map reading error by my OH, it was the one he'd've picked - short enough to see the bottom easily. The other two were done first in my ski lessons - and were done on days when they had been pisted recently and so were not all bumpy. I got down both absolutely fine, really enjoyed them both, especially the schuss at end of Trolles in Tignes - and had far more issues on a couple blues and reds. The worst experience I had was being faced with a mogul field (on a red) and simply not having the skill base (or gung ho blase attitude) to do anything other than keep ending up like an upside down tortoise in the troughs... That was not fun at all, and I have vowed to avoid moguls until I can do consistent short radius turns in a place dictated by someone else on a non mogulled piste...

My OH is more experienced than me, and we wouldn't do a black together unless he'd scouted it first or there was a get out clause for the nasty bits. Reds we'd usually risk, but it's easier if you can check them out from the lift as there were a few I didn't like in Tignes and Val d'Isere (mogulled or narrow and exposed).
snow report
I say each to their own. What is one person's pain is another person's pleasure.

I know personally going on my own ability that whilst I currently wouldn't venture onto many blacks (for my safety and others!) I dont think you can judge whether others enjoy particular "colours" of slopes or not. I feel most confident on powdery reds but thats just me. My boyfriend loves the powder and tackling a black.

Everyone feels comfortable doing different things, pushing themselves in different ways and thats what makes skiing so great is that there is such scope to challenge yourself as much or as little as you like. If you like cruising blues all week, fair play. If you want to fly down a mogulfield or difficult black then fair play too.
snow report
skidog wrote:

It happened in my last UCPA trip. I was initially in the intermediate group and it turned into a nightmare on the first day (in the end only one girl stayed in the group and effective had one-to-one lessons all day every day for the rest of the week). It was hard to believe how wide the range of skill people classify themselves as intermediates when signing up at ski school.
snow conditions
I took a "double black" group lesson the other day. First thing when the instructor asked what we wanted to do - some guy piped up "carving", everyone else visibly yawned so fortunately we got to do bumps and trees. The carving guy dropped out along with a few other chancers.
ski holidays
robinsrule wrote:
Time for a bit of controversy… Just what is the point of black slopes?

There is no controversy. A black slope (by definition) are the hardest slopes in a resort. I.e. on average, they are harder than the reds in the same resort, which are harder than the blues in that resort, which are harder than the greens in that resort (assuming the resort uses the green/blue/red/black coding).

Just because a relative beginner can get down a black run does not make the run pointless. Most skiers of your experience have difficulty skiing blue runs in efficiently and in style, so on a black you'll not make a pretty sight! Yes you can get down it, but skiing it well, in full control? No chance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy