Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the point in black slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
robinsrule, Golf! Man alive I p!ss enough money up the wall with skiing equipment (new Dakine day pack today and new planks on the horizon), I'd have to do an evening job if I was daft enough to take up golf as well. I'm firmly with Mark Twain on this one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Dakine the rucksack equivilant of a Spyder jacket Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't wait for this place in July Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

I can't stand him. I think he's completely over-rated and I really just do not "get" what the crowds go wild for. If I spent as much time on my back bottom as he does I'd call myself robin!

Because he's so all or nothing. He either delivers an amazing seat of pants run, or he crashes out. No pussyfooting around.

Same reason that Colin McRae is revered globally.
Same reason that Gilles Villeneuve was massively popular.
Travis Pastrana
Ronaldo
Pele

and so on

All were all or or nothing and supremely talented to boot....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a bit of sympathy with the OP here. I have around 30 weeks of skiing experience but only took lessons in the first five trips, when I was a kid on school trips. They were large group lessons on long straight skinny skis but, being children, we all seemed to pick the basics up fairly swiftly.

I've had no instruction at all since then. Other than spending a season as a resort manager for a TO when I finished Uni, all I've done since then is around 10 weeks' holiday skiing, not more than one week per year.

For me it's a holiday first and foremost and lessons don't interest me, nor can I afford them. I don't strive to go faster or improve technique, I just enjoy cruising around, soaking up the scenery and mountain atmosphere. I steer clear of anything outside of my comfort zone, be it a steep nasty black run, off-piste or whatever.

The point is, I enjoy my skiing and I'm not a danger to myself or anyone else. That maybe the only problem the OP has, he may be skiing too fast or on too difficult terrain for his ability.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, wash your mouth out
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, the OP is correct in a way.

There is NO POINT in a black slope, for a beginner like him who can't ski it safely.
Similarly, there is NO POINT in a red slope, for a skier on their first day.
And there is NO POINT in a blue slope for someone who's never ever been on skis.
And there is NO POINT in any slope for someone who has no interest in skiing.

I'm afraid, robinsrule, that many people didn't take to your first post very well because you came across as a troll looking for an argument, even though you probably didn't mean to!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frank4short wrote:
I'm fairly certain that i ski better than 99% of skiers. I did however have the luxury of learning to ski doing a season in Cham.

Good for you.... I have been racing for almost 20 years (with being around 30 FIS points in best years), and even nowadays, I spend more then 50 days a year on snow, yet I don't consider myself as top 1% of skiers... something what you obviously managed to do in single winter. And on top of that, most of people tell me I have some bad attitude. Damn... they should meet you once, and I wouldn't be problematic anymore Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz, Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
primoz, depends on your definition of skier. Are we talking people who ski once in their life, once a week every other year or so, Snowheads posters, professionals etc... I'd say 30 FIS points would possibly put you in the top 1% of FIS-registered racers, and that's before we start on all the recreational skiers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone who's in the top 1% of skiers in Chamonix has to be impressive - I don't ski there often but am always impressed with the number of good skiers, when I do.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me skiing's a bit like sex; I might not be much good at it, but I enjoy practicing. And it's also better when there's more than one of you partaking (at least!). Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Chamonix is an anomaly it attracts the worlds best off piste skiers as it's considered a mecha for such people. My assumptions are based on an average ski resort & the ski population as a whole. Anyway i've started another thread on this basis feel free to contribute.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robinsrule wrote:
Dr John, you make a good point, but if your intention was to go to Lytham St Annes to play to your handicap you would probably leave severely disappointed. If you enjoyed paying an arm and a leg to get eaten up by the course and have your skills being shown up (as mine would be on many black ski pistes) then go ahead and enjoy.

So... what IS the point of Lytham St Annes???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well (puts on fire proof suit) I am old, have sore knees, a bad back and a fat belly but can still happily ski lines that if you fall you can die. Does that put me in the top 1% or just means that I can ski OK but have not yet learned caution. Reminds me of frank4short, comments on binding setting. Set them really high all the time so that they won't come off when that would be dangerous, without thinking about what might happen the rest of the time.

Luv ya
latest report
Alexandra wrote:

Boasting about having had no lessons isn't impressive really... it just makes me think "oh dear, yet another swinging shouldered pr*ck with no control en piste." rolling eyes The fact that you feel you can't do a black run means you are far, far from the ability at which you perceive yourself to be.

Are you actually planning on reading anything he has written?

Because none of what you say above is actually responding to what he has said.

He was not "boasting" about having had no lessons, he just commented briefly on the fact, after several other posts.

And he has nowhere suggested that he "can't" do a black run. In fact he has stated precisely the opposite.
snow report
abc wrote:

So... what IS the point of Lytham St Annes???

Ah I can answer this one - holding pen for Lancashire geriatrics.
latest report
Mecha. So Chamonix is like a crutch then, for people who really can't ski Puzzled
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I'd say 30 FIS points would possibly put you in the top 1% of FIS-registered racers, and that's before we start on all the recreational skiers.

Not really. 1% is really really small number of people. And you have to consider, there was at least 100 better ones when I was skiing, and 100 better ones few years before me, and 100 better ones few years after me, and after and after, and soon you get to a whole lot more then just few people who are better then me. You have to think, that top 1% on yesterday Olympics DH was just Defago, and going pure mathematics, only 64% of him, since there were only 64 guys on start Laughing So personally I really don't consider I was ever in top 1%. Top 10 most likely, but top 1, I don't think so. So it feels pretty amusing listening to someone who probably hardly knows how to stand on skis, to proclaim himself as being in top 1% of skiers on World... even if recreational skiers are included into this.
snow conditions
alex_heney, Please do try and stop being an agressive little oik in response to nearly everything I post - it's not the first time you've thrown your toys out of the pram in my direction. rolling eyes I've read everything he's said - he's very proud of his lack of lessons/outstanding ability. If you weren't such an angry little chap you'd have read my posts and be very much aware that I know he can "ski" a black run - but I think most of us know (perhaps not you it seems) - getting down a run is not the same as skiing it with elegance.

Why don't you wind your neck in and get a grip?
ski holidays
primoz, on the latest FIS list, 6.4% of the 12,000 registered competitors with valid slalom points are under 30 slalom points. How many skiers are good enough to register to race for FIS points? NB, I'm not equating good skiing = racing but it is one of the only quantifiable figures out there to do with skiing.
snow report
primoz, Wow you've just about outdone me for talking patronizing rubbish there.

So because my style of skiing or skiing achievements are of a different nature to your racing world view they're to be instantly put down as they're not quantifiable.

To come back against your numerics. Here's my take (rough figures), skier day numbers are quoted from Pistehors. Last year in France there were 58.6million skier days, in the US there 57.4 million skier days, in Austria 56.9million skier days.

That's a total of 172,900,000 skier days in these domains. Now let's say for arguments sake if you average it out at 7 days skiing per person based on an average 6 day holiday but taking into account the areas not included e.g. italy, suisse, etc. & people who ski more it pushes that figure up slightly. Gives a figure of 24,700,000 skiers worldwide last year. Probably on the low side i reckon but it'll do for the purposes of this discussion. 1% of them is 247,000 skiers. Now when you look at it in these terms do you think outside of your little racing world view that it would be possible to be in the top 247,000 skiers in the world?

Skier day figure quoted from here - http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0961-ski-lift-operators-notice-less-brits/
snow report
This has all the ingredients necessary for this thread to become the new Inner Tip Lead. Now, where's my popcorn...
ski holidays
I really love how frank4short pulls these figures out of nowhere and then relays them as 'fact'.
Pure genius.
Note to self, must try this at next staff meeting whilst stroking my imaginery goatee beard...
snow report
rob@rar, here
latest report
lynseyf, many thanks. Right, I'm ready. Off you go...
snow report
Will S, He hasn't done that at all, hes made estimates based on the availible data, referenced the data, and come to a conclusion from it. He's acknowledged the limitations of his estimates but the point we're argueing over doesn't need a precise figure and the figure he's given could easily have a safety factor of 2 attached to it without really altering the conclusion so it is accurate enough. Come up with a quick calculated estimate like that to a problem in a staff meeting and they will be pleased with you.

From my limited experience of watching people ski I'd say that both frank4short, and primoz, would make it into the top 1% from their description of their skiing.
ski holidays
I don't see what all the fuss is about, why doesn't everybody just do what they enjoy, for some that may even be 'struggling' down a run that is above their level in order to get knackered but if that's what they feel 'good' about then fine.

Myself with 20 odd years like to ski all types of run, last week in montgenevre we had everything, did some brilliant off piste (very untidily but still enjoyable Laughing ), I skied some steep blacks quickly in the fall line with short sharp turns, trying to get better at skiing a good line through moguls, i skied loads of reds both steep and cruisy with a variety of turns, trying to in the main get that speed up feeling out of the turn with medium radius carves - but I also skied and enjpyed thoroughly with my low intermediate partner some really flatish cruisy blues and greens, which i spent most of the time trying to ski and turn backwards - I have seen some awesome skiers ski a whole run switch, whereas I can only manage about 300 yards rolling eyes That's just me - thats the kind of stuff I am trying to get better at, but couldn't care less who else does what, as long as they enjoy it???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't see what all the fuss is about, why doesn't everybody just do what they enjoy, for some that may even be 'struggling' down a run that is above their level in order to get knackered but if that's what they feel 'good' about then fine.

Exactly! So what's the point of posting a thread about what's the point of black piste!
ski holidays
rambotion,
Quote:
He hasn't done that at all, hes made estimates based on the availible data, referenced the data, and come to a conclusion from it.

=

Guessed
ski holidays
rambotion,
Quote:
He hasn't done that at all, hes made estimates based on the availible data, referenced the data, and come to a conclusion from it.

=

Guessed
snow report
bum wrote:
Well, the OP is correct in a way.

There is NO POINT in a black slope, for a beginner like him who can't ski it safely.
Similarly, there is NO POINT in a red slope, for a skier on their first day.
And there is NO POINT in a blue slope for someone who's never ever been on skis.
And there is NO POINT in any slope for someone who has no interest in skiing.

Is it safe to presume you have skied only in France/Spain/Andorra/North America?

Anywhere else, a blue slope is the easiest level, so is what somebody who has never been on skis will be starting on Smile
snow conditions
Alexandra wrote:
alex_heney, Please do try and stop being an agressive little oik in response to nearly everything I post - it's not the first time you've thrown your toys out of the pram in my direction. rolling eyes

When you stop being such an unpleasant and aggressive little oik, pribably I will.

Quote:

I've read everything he's said - he's very proud of his lack of lessons/outstanding ability.

That is your opinion. I can't see anything in what he has posted in thios thread to back up that opinion.

Quote:

If you weren't such an angry little chap you'd have read my posts and be very much aware that I know he can "ski" a black run -

I was responding to your comment "The fact that you feel you can't do a black run means you are far, far from the ability at which you perceive yourself to be."

Quote:

but I think most of us know (perhaps not you it seems) - getting down a run is not the same as skiing it with elegance.

Why on earth do you think I might possibly not know that? Have I ever posted anything at all that might indicate I don't?

And why do you think it relevant to your comment "The fact that you feel you can't do a black run means you are far, far from the ability at which you perceive yourself to be."?

You didn't say anything about "skiing it with elegance".

Quote:

Why don't you wind your neck in and get a grip?

I have a grip, thank you.

If you thought about what you were posting, and actually made it properly relevant to what you are responding to, then I probably wouldn't have any problem with your posting.
ski holidays
People, people. Let's not forget who the real enemy is here; it's the preening strutting know-alls who make themselves sound like the very cliché of Braying British Skier (BBS) who are undoubtedly extremely good but don't realise that we couldn't give a fig how hairy their chests are.

Now focus please
snow conditions
Dr John, You forgot this http://tinyurl.com/yehr8ao wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy