Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier to Fionnay

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a few pics from today....

The VERY snowy road to Fionnay

The best way down (according the very friendly postman!)

The view from Mt Fort - skins on at the bottom and then up the left hand side

The slightly hairy route down...

Peace and quiet. Is it really half term?

Looking back at Mont Fort

Looking down on the Lac de Louvie. Petit and Grand Combin on the left.

Up to the final col

The way down

Great snow at the top

Gorilla

Hang on, noone said anything about clouds...

Or snow...

Fionnay

Looking back up at the final couloir

Lovely tour. Great views and noone around. Great snow at the top, variable on the way down and some rather testing avi rubble in the last couloir.

ps Swirly will be along soon to post some from his proper camera!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great day, I'd class the snow in the exit couloir as interesting.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
that looks like a great day out
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice! Looks like it was in good condition. You can usually get a really good spring snow tour in March / April.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lovely pics. Good job!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You know that it's accessed much easier from the backside right?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice pics guys.

Can you explain it parlor??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, when we dropped off the car in the morning the postman (only person we could find to ask) said that couloir by the reservoir was the best descent.

How would you get to the backside? Keep on traversing behind Rosablanche?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I left all my topos in Europe so I can't look up the name of the Col that you cross. Skin in the direction of Rosablanche ski south / south-east side. IIRC you make a quick ski descent then skin back up in NE direction. I think there are a couple of different routes that would allow you to make this route without the long ascent from the Fionnay side.

Really good ski out, a beer at the bar in Fionnay while you wait for your cab back to le Chable...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, our route is here it was pretty direct: only 40 mins skinning.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:
40 mins for you on the splitboard. A bit longer hauling up the Kuros!

How did you do that map? Here's the GPS reading with the photos http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=495968
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch, electronic map + Microsoft paint!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great pics... You certainly got one over me - the tour to Fionnay is something I never managed to do in 2008.
Its on my ever growing list of stuff to ski 'one day'.

Quote:
You know that it's accessed much easier from the backside right?

Your first pic of Fionnay confused me too... I presume you were just dropping a car there or something ?

One little word of warning.... We discovered south face of Mont Fort can get seriously icy in the spring time (and is apparently well known accident black spot). You can get easier and safer access to Rossblanche from Col De La Chaux - only takes 5 minutes longer as you dont need to go up the Mont Fort. But might save you a brown pair of underpants come March and April!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, yep, first pic was when dropping off the car. I went up to Rosablanche a few times last April and the access from Mt Fort was a bit bumpy but ok. It is noticeable how much less snow there is this year with a lot more rock visible. Thanks for the tip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly wrote:

Maybe, but you get to ski off the backside PLUS a whole load more for approx 30 min skin. Around 2-3 x vertical in total. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Wink
snow conditions
parlor, I think I know where you mean. We'll probably go back next week anyway. Off to Pralong in a bit.
latest report
That looks like a great day out Cool
ski holidays
Swirly, I always enjoyed a little ski to Pralong. Make time for a beer at the bar before the bus... Wink
snow conditions
parlor, indeed we did, bus driver joined us for a coffee too. Nice route down, fairly mellow by our line but great snow pretty much to the road. Good gradient for a board too, at least until the pole along the road.

Hefted the SLR around too, only took 2 pictures rolling eyes
snow conditions
Swirly, there's a really nice little peak you can add in, make me wish I brought the Rosa Blanche topo with me so I could tell you about it! WSW (more or less) from Rosa Blanche when you're still skinning / traversing above the Grand Dessert it's on your RHS.

My last trip to Pralong was in April last year, one of the faces just above the road had slid to the base, crown was around 1-1.5m, couldn't see how wide - maybe 300m. Destroyed a lot of tress on the way down. Easy a Class 4 maybe 4.5, biggest I've seen for real. No idea how it had been triggered.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy