Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The weekday Corail Lunea Night Train is Back!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a fan of the train.
I think it the by far the best way to get to the Tarentaise resorts.
But forget the Snow Train (now defunct) or the Ski Train: expensive, and only run at weekends.
The clever way to go by train was DIY: Eurostar to Paris and then night train with Couchettes from Gare Austerliz.
This always used to run throughout the week.
Until this season.
I tried booking it back on October for January to find - shock! horror! - it was no longer running except at weekends.
I was so upset, I threw my teddy out the pram and decided not to go skiing in January after all
(Yeah, I know - completely stupid rolling eyes )
Contacted Rail Europe who confirmed that SNCF had cancelled the weeknight trains.

So imagine my amazement to find today that the weekday night service as back on! Shocked
Leaves PARIS AUSTERLITZ at 22:08 and arrives BOURG ST MAURICE at 07:51

Phoned Rail Europe. Even they didn't know it was back on.
Nor did the Man on Seat 61
If only I'd known, I wouldn't be going out to Bourg by day next month
But for the rest of you who like the train:
The Weekday Night Service is back on until the end of March snowHead

(If only those damn SNCF eejits would inform us)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonpim,excellent. You could have always caught the daily sleeper to Briancon from Austerlitz and skied in Serre Chevalier instead.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim, which particular weekday were you trying to book - we took it to Bourg on a Thursday in December!? I do vaguely remember having some trouble booking it, though - I think they might have started selling them later than usual this year?

Anyway, sssshhhhhh! We don't want everyone finding out about it... wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim, No good for me this season as I'm off to Italy Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisWo, was looking at the last week in january. I had hoped to go out on 20th or 21st, but was forced to consider the 22nd (Friday). Then there was trouble with the return journey the following Saturday due to Engineering Work. I contacted Rail Europe who confirmed the Corail Lunea service was only running at weekends. I didn't check for March and booked a day train. Not sure when the night service was re-instated. I have a number for SNCF: 0033836576869. I would like them to know that the lack of information has got me quite pissed off. Not confident I will get anywhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, hmm, weird - I wonder if they canned it mid-way through the season. I'm glad it's definitely back running though...it's definitely the best way to hit the alps (if only there was a viable train to Austria...).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been on the overnight Corail Lunea twice (returns) this season already, weekdays and weekends, I personally haven't had any problems booking it, it runs nightly as far as I can see, and has done all season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should have said as well I always book through TGV Europe and not Rail Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
liz09, it may have been a quirk restricted to the January dates I was looking at.
Just a real nuisance that Rail Europe didn't know it was a short-term problem and suggested to me it was for the whole season.
Anyway: good to have the service up and running as usual
Pity about next month. Up at 4am to get the 5.30 Eurostar. Sad

P.S. Didn't know about TGV-Europe before
Just tried a trial booking. Looks very good.
Will use it next time before Rail Europe.
Thank you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, now you mention it, I believe there was engineering on the track on one of the dates that I needed an overnighter, as I think I had to book a Thursday night instead of Wednesday night for one of the journeys, possibly this could have been it, shame Rail Europe told you the misinformation about it being the whole season. As for TGV Europe, they always seems to be a little cheaper than Rail Europe, also the euros going in the right direction at the moment, so makes it even cheaper. They post the tickets to the UK for free and they always arrive within a couple of days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with liz09 - Rail Europe charge a turn on tickets, so I'd never book through them if it could be avoided. And by the sounds of things they're not even any good at answering questions Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy