Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder free slopes

Poster: A snowHead
I am posting this on behalf of a friend on another site, he might get some help from the experts !!!!!!

Snowboarder free zones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know of any decent ski resorts in Europe that either have no snowboarders or at least have areas of the mountain that are snowboarder free? I know that many resorts have areas where you are asked to ski slowly "ski tranquille" in France. I know Alta in Utah is a snowboarder free mountain, but it is a bit far away.

I should explain my reason for asking before any snowboarders get insulted. My father, who just turned 82 yesterday, still skis. But he is very worried about getting hit again by snowboarders. He has been hit twice in the last few years. Two years ago in Meribel, on a green slope in the Altiport area, he was stationery on the side of a piste and a young boarder hit him at speed and my dad had to get 19 stitches in his leg. He was back skiing 3 days later, but only with 3 of his children forming a barrier above him to fend off anyone coming close. ( I actually had to tackle another out of control boarder who was out of control and on collision course)
The previous year he was hit by another snowboarder in La Plagne and he had a nasty fall and cut his face.
I should point out that he was previously hit by an out of control 'skier' while he was again stationery, but my dad was only 65 at the time and managed to come off the better of the two, the other skier had to be taken off the moutain on a sledge.

My dad seems determined to keep skiing as long as he is still able to stand/walk, which could be for many more years yet, and my mother too (though she is a bit younger)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saintstephen, none as fas as I'm aware in Europe. I don;t the problem is snowboarders per se, more people sking / riding wihtout proper control and attention. Maybe your pal should try a smaller resort at a less busy time? BTW Deer Valley is close to Alta and is also ski-only.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel for an 80 year old Shocked I would suggest going to a quiet local resort (probably not in France and one without loads of bad skiing/boarding Brits) with empty pistes would be the solution
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To echo reayscoops Meribel and La Plange are probaly the two heaviest trafficked resorts I've ever been in - the run down to the lifts at Bellcote having been decribed by a freind as "Helms Deep" (the Lord of the Rings giant ruck in front of a huge immovable wall).

Somewhere smaller that isn't a series of linked resorts with people flying in and across from all directions is probbaly your best bet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saintstephen, Good on him for still skiing. I hope i'm still skiing at 82. You may want to try Austria. I have never been but the people i know who have say it is much quieter than France.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 11-02-10 16:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ph wrote:
saintstephen, Good on him for still skiing. I hope i'm still skiing at 82. You may want to try Austria. I have never been but the people i know who say it is much quieter than France.

I found Austria over New Year a lot quieter than France at the same time. Although skiing back down the one run to the village at the end of the day was interesting!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quietest resorts I've been to have been in Norway - but by no way boarder free and they don't necassarily suit everyone (they're small by comparison to most other country's resorts)

I reckon, as others have said, is to choose a quiet resort in a quiet period. I would have thought the first few weeks of Jan or after Easter during April would be the least crowded (?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow - I hope I am still skiing at 80. You can't guarantee no boarders, but as others have said go for smaller resorts in less popular countries out of peak weeks. Also ski Monday-Friday rather than weekends. We have found Geilo in Norway and some of the smaller Italian resorts all but empty out of weekends. Also try a DIY holiday to a resort where there are no big tour operators.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why look for a snowboarder free resort? Surely you should be looking for a quiet resort. I have had close calls with bad skiers and boarders alike, it's not what they're riding but how they're riding. We take our 8yo and 4yo out with us and tend to keep an eye out for people who are riding\skiing beyond their ability and keep out of the way. I don't think a bad snowboarder is inherently more dangerous than a bad skier.

As an aside, when I went to the Snowdome for the Big Bang show I saw 3 accidents involving skiers hitting boarders (including someone flying in to olympic snowboarder Dan Wakeham), I didn't see one boarder hit a skier (although it was freestyle boarding so I guess the quality of rider was a bit higher than average)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pick a small resort with lots of drag lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, I agree that idiots are idiots, but it must be said that, certainly anecdotaly so, the proportion of snowboard accident/incidents is far higher than the proportion of snowboarders to skiers. I'm sure someone whizzy with stats can confirm/rebut this assumption.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

The youngest skier in this group is 50. The woman in blue (left foreground, clicking into her Dynafit bindings) is 75 wink

There were a few boarders around but they were a friendly bunch and didn't take all the best lines in the untracked.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not going to suggest that this is the case but sometimes potential victims can often do a lot to help themselves in choosing where to stop, awareness of terrain and snow conditions. Green and blue runs at the bottom of the mountain along with any home run are the most dangerous places to be IMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got an 88 year old patient who skis still - does a bit of off-the-side-of-the-piste too.

One suggestion is to go to somewhere which is expensive, classy and not too hip/trendy - so as to reduce the young skier/snowboarder demographic. Megeve? Davos or Klosters?

And I agree - as a skier - I have more problems with skiers than boarders.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda, looks like one of your/BernardC's touring groups from the EOSB Smile
snow conditions
I think small or expensive resorts in Switzerland are "relatively" snowboard free. First they do a lot of drag lifts. Secondly the price tend to discourage the youngsters away.

I am 61 myself and prefer resorts with the least number of visitors. I go to France as the last resort. Meribel and La Plagne have the highest density of piste users in my experience. Many Austria, Swiss and Italian resorts are a lot quieter. Also one get less chance of being hit on a steep slope than a beginner slope. Thus I would rather avoid the green and blue runs and ski in the red and black runs because the piste users there are seldom a threat to me.

Another important consideration is to avoid the peak season period.
ski holidays
Bad snowboarders are great.
I let four of them simultaneously attack a Couloir today just before I skied it.
It was better than rolling a cornice to test stability Madeye-Smiley

Agree with other posts spanners are spanners wheather they are on skis or boards pick your resort and you'll be fine.
Fair play to your auld fella, I hope I'm still skiing at his age.
snow report
From what I saw in January, the gentleman might enjoy Muerren. The only risk is that he will be tutted at for being such a young tearaway.

Seriously, I went on a train from Gruetschalp to Muerren and I think I may have been the only one who paid for a ski pass.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, when our lovely companions see that post you're a dead man Laughing

(and of course I shall make sure that they do)
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, when our lovely companions see that post you're a dead man Laughing

(and of course I shall make sure that they do)

only if they can catch him Wink

(sorry if the image doesn't work, it's off facebook, can't find the link on JonM's site)
snow report
He can ski, but he can't hide from Bernie's Angels wink
ski holidays
My tip would be to make as early a start possible, try and make the first lift up the mountain and as high as possible. This should give you about two hours of less crowded piste.
The weekend sunday 17 January my two children and I got to the Platea Rosa above Zermatt about 9 in the morning and skied down that great red run 7, to Cervinia.
We were the only people on it.
ski holidays
Go to places boarders hate: moguls, flats, drag lifts, etc.

Lizzard wrote:
Pick a small resort with lots of drag lifts.

Or places with lots of flat traverse! Wink
ski holidays
abc,

Hidden Valley in Dolomites come to mind. The last blue section is made for walking. Can't remember seeing a snowboard during my two visits to this valley in my last trip. Checked the photos and video clips and couldn't find one either.

In fact come to think of it snowboards are rare signs in Italian Dolomites and that is the wife's view too.
snow report
abc, I do not particularly think an 82 year old fellow will like flats, moguls or drag lifts imho wink
ski holidays
Fair play to your Dad!

I would suggest just stick to smaller resorts, not the big French ski-factories and go during off-peak weeks. I normally go to Austria or Italy in mid-March, pistes not busy, no lift queues and more importantly, I've never witnessed any sort of collision.

Pick the right spot and hopefully your Dad will still be skiing well into his 90s! Very Happy
latest report
If you really want to go to France still though, I would advise Les Gets as a possibility. From Morzine up to Avoriaz and beyond, it can be quite busy, but Les Gets and the surrounding area can be pretty quiet.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
abc, I do not particularly think an 82 year old fellow will like flats, moguls or drag lifts imho wink

Why not?

Maybe not house size moguls. But I don't see what's so bad for an 82 year old on flat'ish traver or even a few drag lifts.

I have friends who board. They do go out of their way to avoid any run that ends with a long travers (or take a logn traverse to get to). Apparently, it's very tiring to traver on a board. But it's relatively no issue even for a weak skier.

Drag lift are more a deterrant for inexperienced boarders only. Good boarders can handle that (or flat travers, for that matter) fine. Though I suspect experienced boarders aren't very likely to hit a stationary skier either.

I might add icy slope to the boarders "avoid list". Though I don't think most people like icy slopes, whatever their age.Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy