Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket - layers vs big coat?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

wondering what the consensus is for wearing a few layers versus having a big ski jacket?

I already have a decent waterproof shell (use for camping, rugby coaching, etc), and therefore could easily supplement with fleece and layers.

Or, should I just go spend a few quid on something like a TheNorthFace triclimate or similar (may have a trip to USA with work in next few weeks and see TNF gear a fair bit cheaper over there)?

Off to Andorra 1st week of Easter, so just not sure if a new big jacket would be not necessary that time of year in Andorra, and put the money towards next year's ski holiday with the kids Happy

Any considered advice appreciated,

Pete
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layers. More versatile and you already have the outer one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another advantage with layers is that as things wear out / get damaged you can replace them individually. A shell without liner is also much easier to repair with a goretex patch on the inside than a padded jacket.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends when/where you ski. Lots of layers might make you uncomfortably hot. Yes you can shed one or two but then you've got to carry them around with you. As I ski in Europe in March I find one padded jacket (these things don't have to be big, mine is quite lightweight) with a thin baselayer is fine. Not bulky, not too hot but keeps any chair lift chills off.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, "Lots of layers might make you uncomfortably hot" - then you wear fewer layers, non?

By the same argument, what happens if you get too hot and all you're wearing is a thin base layer and a thick jacket. Ooops.

efcbluepete, layers. No question.

Is your shell breathable though? Also, maybe worth buying some layers when in the US (Patagonia, TNF, etc. all much cheaper over there). I find sleeveless gilets handy as well as "in between" layers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes with layers the outer shell should be waterproof and breathable but wouldn't recommend wearing more than one layer with a membrain (e.g. goretex shell and windstopper fleece).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layers.

I have a shell which is designed for skiing (but also worn for work on rainy days) but everything under it is general purpose used for running, biking etc the 49 weeks a year when I'm not skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks, layers it is!

Maybe a bit of retail therapy in Chicago for some of the inner layers Smile

Cheers,

Pete
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shells with layers is the way forward. The North Face triclimate stuff is good as you get both a shell and an insulated jacket in one, lots of variation for different days. Depending on your skiing you may want to think about upgrading your shell to a ski one with powder skirt, ragdolling through pow ain't much fun otherwise!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
efcbluepete, layers. We were in St Gervais last week and the temperature varied between +4 and -14 over the week! We each (children and adults) wore a decent thermal baselayer, plus a thin jumper or fleece, then mid-weight ski jackets (gloves, hats, fleece neck tube too of course). None of us were cold other than on the chairlift but pulling the necktube up to cover faces and hats down to cover ears, cured that. If you are a 'colder' than average person, you could add a layer and if too hot, take it off and put it in your backpack Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
efcbluepete, good lad. Layers for me too. Gives you options.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whens it's really warm you don't need many layers at all but it's best to keep up your liquid intake

http://www.22local.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/img_4234-596x768.jpg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy