Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking at a small slab slide near to the piste.

Poster: A snowHead
With all the talk of avalanches here are a couple of pics taken during the BB. Note the small slide to the right of the pylon; this was the entrance to a shallow gully which had been slab loaded from wind deposited snow stripped from the gentle slopes above.

Triggered by our faithful avalanche poodle it started sliding as one large piece before breaking up. Although this was a localised shallow depth slide if there was a terrain trap below and had the rider had fallen it could have been more serious. You can see the exit track in the next pic.

So be observant folks, use the gear properly and evaluate both traps and escape zones before rushing in snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarpa, wise words there
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"harrisontherabbit" nips round the top

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, Good warning, I'm not an off pister but shows me that I am nowhere near experienced enough to either, I cant really make out the first pic and although I can see it in the second I would have been completely un aware of this danger.

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
51st state, Oh I can really see that now. Still stand by what I said though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
youngeratheart, Although the slope angle was only slight it is the lee slopes where any snow stripped by the wind ends up - you should always take care when coming over a rise. It's how cornices form and where a lot of people set off slab slides.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, I is learnin'. Last year my ESF instructor showed me a few slides and potential slides from the lifts. He also said if you found yourself accidently off piste ( not sure how that would happened except in a white out) that you should stay where the animal prints are, he said usually animals desert an avalanche area well before the event. I'd love to try off pise one day but would definately go with a recommended guide.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youngeratheart, Yup... go with guides, as part of a guided group or with suitably experienced people who can point out why an area appears to be safe. It's great fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, Call to insurace company coming up me thinks. Off in 23 sleeps. cant wait.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am shocked at how close to the piste some major slides go off. A few years ago I was in Pila, got off at the top and skied literally a few yards off the piste to go for a wee wee. We came back to the same spot an hour later and there had been a big slide, rescue teams and dogs out and helicopter on site. Never did find out the outcome but scared the poop out of me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sobering.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gsyfreerider, posted it many times before - but last year I got to the top of a trail in JH just 2 minutes after a slide onto it/next to it had buried two and killed one. A few minutes earlier...

changed my viewpoint and tightened my sphincter a little...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gsyfreerider, Even on piste it can be useful to keep an eye on the slopes above... especially when other people are on them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, what are the pylons / wires running over the slide?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt, I was wondering that too. Possibly for use in summer to get produce on/off a pasture? or to deliver explosives to a notorious avalanche prone slope ?
snow report
lampbus wrote:
or to deliver explosives to a notorious avalanche prone slope ?

DING DING DING DING

bells ringing? Nothing wrong with skiing in avalanche prone areas (I've skiied between avalanche barriers in the past) as long as you are aware of that fact and factor it into your risk assessment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy