Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

plastic at back of inners split?

Poster: A snowHead
On drying my innners, I noticed that the plastic was split - doesn't seem very high quality (Salomon Falcons).
Shouldn't be a serious issue but maybe I could wrangle a refund to get a different pair of boots.
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/img2423h.jpg/
http://img211.imageshack.us/i/img2424p.jpg/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman wrote:
On drying my innners, I noticed that the plastic was split - doesn't seem very high quality (Salomon Falcons).
Shouldn't be a serious issue but maybe I could wrangle a refund to get a different pair of boots.
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/img2423h.jpg/
http://img211.imageshack.us/i/img2424p.jpg/

not seen that before as a result of normal use, more likely they would replace the liner rather than the boot
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's S&R, I doubt they'd replace anything? Maybe send it off or give a credit. hmm
That's after 4 days use in -10 to -15 temps, nothing abnormal. First time I've taken the boot out.
It shouldn't actually cause any problems to the function of the liner/boot, it's just a bit shoddy by Salomon that's all...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had the same problem on mine - Falcon 10s - backs of both liners, seems to be where the stitching across the bottom of the plastic doubles back to finish. Fortunately spotted before it got more than an inch - I just keyholed the top of the crack on each and that's stopped it in it's tracks, if it's not a warrantable issue I'd suggest you get a 3mm drill on it to stop it going all the way up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Under stat rights, I guess I'm entitled a refund? A split on both liners is surely a manufacturing issue no matter how small it is?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't say that was 'small'. I think, as CEM says (and he should know) that you may well be looking at new liners.

I'm happy enough with mine as the biggest crack is only <--------> long and has stopped as I've done the keyholing (and I've got them nice and comfy now and I'm not going though THAT again for a good few trips) but a 6 inch crack would have me straight back to the shop. I assume that the plastic bit serves some purpose in holding the shape of the liner?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The problem is that new liners may not solve the issue and just crack again.
New liners would be under new warranty wouldn't they?
These boots are just within the 12 month warranty by end March.
ANyway, a trip to S&R to complain is coming ...Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman, I had the same problem on set of falcon boots. As I had bought mine outside the UK, I phoned Salomon directly and they said they would replace the liners under warranty. They asked me to send them my old boots with the cracked liner, and they would return them with new liners. Surprisingly when I received the boots back, they were completely new, the shells too. So give maybe give Salomon UK a call and see what they say. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's now 3 people with cracked liners.
Did they crack again on using the newer ones are are they ok now?
I'll give them a call but I suppose Salomon will want to replace whereas S&R may give full refund.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, Why are you obsessed by a refund? Surely if the boots fit they're worth keeping so long as the problem is fixed. It's also only a cosmetic deffect in an out of the way location. Does it really matter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just because I think it's about time I got a proper boot fitting. I figured it would be an excuse to take them back Smile
They do fit but I had some tingles in the toes and I don't know if that will go - I've worn them 4 days and it hasn't gone yet but the boots haven't packed out to first use yet.
It seems cosmetic but it must hold the liner together for something?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, Hmmmm, the plastic looks to be slightly rippled, signs that something was heated externally making it brittle and subject to low temps will split.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
GordonFreeman, Hmmmm, the plastic looks to be slightly rippled, signs that something was heated externally making it brittle and subject to low temps will split.

Might just be the photo, no ripples when I look close although they do heat up the shells in S&R I think...not sure.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, Falcon custom?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman, I think these have all be placed in the Oven together, Liner and Shell, wrong, wrong, wrong if so.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
GordonFreeman, Falcon custom?

The liner is Falcon "My custom fit" although it is not actually custom fitted to my foot/leg. Only custom fitting in it is the footbed, which I already had.
snow report
GordonFreeman, So no fitting of this boot was carried out, apart from a custom footbed, the liner nor the shell were heated at all. A better version of this boot with a better delta angle, quality of plastic and liner is available from another brand.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
GordonFreeman, A better version of this boot with a better delta angle, quality of plastic and liner is available from another brand.

real shame that Atomic have stopped making the race tech CS110, it was a great boot for non racers with that slimmer low volume foot
latest report
CEM, And practically the same as a Falcon with a better ramp angle, quality plastic. Love 'em, but often needs work to get it just how you need it. You stocking Atomic yet?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yep, it was the first brand we set up with, sold though all the softer CS models very early on
snow report
CEM, Was/is a dream to work with loved the new re New Eco Pebax version this winter.............anyhooooooos, back to these split coller shimms. Were the boot liners heated at S+R or by you Gordon?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yep, they changed changed the renu for next year as well...higher chassis and vibram soles, and a walk mode i seem to remember, they have modified the fit though and it is not IMO as good as it was
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
CEM, Was/is a dream to work with loved the new re New Eco Pebax version this winter.............anyhooooooos, back to these split coller shimms. Were the boot liners heated at S+R or by you Gordon?

I don't know what they heated, just that they took them away and mentioned something about heating. Can't be sure they did anything but I didn't heat them myself.
The only "fitting" S&R do (and I've had this at every store I've been to to discuss boots with them) is that they measure your foot and then get you to wear the boot - that's it. No pressure measurement, no shell size check, no alignment check, etc. etc. Often the size they measure you for is a comfort size, eg they measured me for 29/29.5, which is what I had in my last Solomon boot and that packed out after 30 days. I told them I had heel lift so we went for a 28/28.5.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy