Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grimentz

brian
brian
c-ellerby, coverage doesn't look too shabby to me wink

http://snowslider.net/2007/12/08/opening-day-again-in-zinal/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, looks great. As usual, some wonderful photos from ise. When do you go out?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar, Thursday. Snowing again this morning and the lifts are shut in Grimentz until Saturday so I should get a decent crack at some freshness Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, excellent. Looks like there'll be a cold spell when it stops snowing, so conditions should be wonderful Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Off to Grimentz on Friday to pick up the keys for our apartment Very Happy We are a bit concerned though that the Ikea lorry will struggle to get through the snow so hoping for a few sunny days for the rest of the week Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just gotten a text ( literally) from VDA and they say they are skiing in thigh deep powder. Don't you just hate getting txt like that. ........... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rwgowers, we're out there on Monday to collect the keys for our apt & the Ikea lorry is also hopefully delivering to us the same day.

snow-forecast shows the weather as mainly clear up to Sunday night.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, remember that's probably only knee deep for you and me wink

rwgowers, ssnowman, I wouldn't fancy driving a lorry up that road at the best of times ... Confused Hopefully they'll know where they're going this year, we got an irate call from a Swiss driver last year who'd been driving round Grimentz unable to find the place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian,

ha ha...I'll tell them that...... plus I want pics...!!! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, looks like we will be sleeping on the floor then - oh well, it's only going to be -16 on Friday night Shocked

ssnowman, good luck for next week - should be a fun week! wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian wrote:
c-ellerby, coverage doesn't look too shabby to me wink

http://snowslider.net/2007/12/08/opening-day-again-in-zinal/

The shots look great! I hope we made the right decision to go to St Anton as I expect VDA will be nice and quiet with loads of hidden off piste to go for. When I spoke to the local instructor school he said it's too early so tha lent me towards St Anton. Looking at the shots on the pistetopowder blog they're showing waist to neck deep shots so I'm confident there will be lots of powder waiting to be eaten!

Maybe I need to be setting up SWMBO on some expectations of a follow up trip for VDA .. hmm .. now that's a thought.

Keep us posted on how it's looking in VDA, I want to get a good idea for future trips of when it's worth coming,

thanks

Jed

P.S. I assume VDA is the whole valley including Grimentz and Zinal?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll try and put together a report as I have been the last two seasons now and will probably go back again in 2009.

I will just add comments to the sking.

Zinal: main bowl facing predominantly easterly. Traverse the ridge for as long as you like and choose your line down. Maybe you will nudge 45 degrees in places and the choice is yours. Superb playground for laps. If you go to the furthest extremes of the lift system..which isn't large by any means you have drops down the other side to Grimentz one end, either by the Moiry Dam or the Chamois route, or the other end you can drop down to the dam..scope it first as finding a decent and different way in isn't obvious. You'll have to get down to the Dam to see the possibilties by the easy way..to see what else is possible. Either that or you will have to be shown. You'll not be able to pick it up from the ridge as there is too much rock exposure.
The other end of the ridge takes you into the Freeride area. None of the routes the Zinal side are very long.. so laps all day.
There are a few lines which will need a bootpack to gain the height and 1st tracks. Surprisingly, not many do this.
The Chamois is supposedly pisted but you can go down the gullies which are steep. Or do a variant of this by staying skiers right to a natural ridge. You can still pick up the route down to Grimentz which ends as a path, or stay right and traverse round to the Zinal drags. It is pretty easy to work out provding you don't lose too much height. Again, laps are the order of the day. You aren't likely to find too many tracks in here but as it is NF the snow should be good. It is just remote enough looking to stop people taking the chance.

Grimentz: Abondance is short drop off of the extreme northerly top lift and you can either traverse back to the lift or carry on down to St Jean if the snow cover is good enough. You will have to get local info on the latter.
Loads of little ridges and cut throughs which you just have to keep your eye open for. We liked a huge face over looking the Benndolla pistes which was just a cut-through and quick scramble between rocks if you come in high. Very very steep at the top but your call as to how safe it is on the day.
There may be a very good reason why yours are the only tracks that high in. You might not want to ski straight down in the fall-line, and the sides looked safer.

St Luc/Chandolin:
Nice sunny area above the main lift up out of St Luc. You can head for the main ridge which seperates the two areas and from the south you'll see plenty of gullies. All are steep steep and the ways in are tentative and very quickly there are no ways back. The gullies are about 200mtrs long before you can ski back to a run and back the lifts for the next one. Again all NF, so the snow will be as good as you'll likely find about the valley. We skied them after snow and they were just as good a few days later. Lower down the gullies you have a decent enough pitches for good s's especially if you start at the furthest gully east.
Take the long drag upto Bella tolla and traverse round the front side to end up on the west face you have been eyeing up on the drag up. The line down is obvious but follows the flow of the mountain so pick your time of day. Of course, because this is in full view of everyone, you might open it up to others.
I wouldn't advise going there just because you can see others on it at any given time.
If you have the nessecary, you might look over the top of Belltolla into the 3rd valley. Scope your way out or you'll end up all the way down and a taxi ride back. Guides were quoting us 700chf including 200chf for the transport. It is to my eternal regret we never made the best of this.... Evil or Very Mad Shocked rolling eyes

I can post pics of all of most of these suggestions if you want.

Other than that, the resorts were dead at night...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-07-08 22:25; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any snowy photos are good at this time of year......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This valley is intersting me at the moment. We have flights booked to Geneva during March and my pal has read about this place it looks and sounds great. Would Grimentz be the obvious village to stay?
snow report
 brian
brian
northantsred, it's totally rubbish (unless you want to stay in my apartment wink ).
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
brian, just had a look at your apt and as impressive as it mate, it wouldn't be suitable for us 4 middle-aged old farts!! Thanks for the offer though. We will probably looking for a bedroom each when we do get round to booking something unless it is prohibitevly expensive.
Tell me, is accomodation easy enough to secure because we will be skiing from Wed-Monday?

Cheers

Greg
ski holidays
 brian
brian
northantsred, you might have trouble getting an apartment over a weekend this far out but if you wait until nearer the time you should get something ok. Hotel shouldn't be a problem though. This one is nice and very handy for the lift:

http://www.hotel-alpina-grimentz.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, that's what I thought, we usually wait until a week to ten days before we leave for the lads break. Thanks.
snow report
arv,

Here you go

The Zinal ridge...

Off the top of Chamois

Down to the Dam

Climb that to Italy

Zinal

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 18-10-08 0:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
and a few more...

Chamois and its variant ..from across the valley

and again

This is why we like it

and a few drops in..

and further in..
snow conditions
And these babies

and what attracted you to this then...?

it's steep..

and in from the top

and another one of the gullies
ski holidays
JT, Thanks - nice pix - that has helped put it on my list of resorts to be done. You have to love steep gullies like that. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother,
Thanks,

I should have made it a bit clearer that the last set of pics were the gullies on the Chandolin/St Luc ridge.
latest report
JT - better erase those pics or brian will be back to chop your fundamentals off wink
snow report
JT,
Lovely pics, It would be great to say it brought memories flooding back but alas my skiing in Val d'A was a little more mundane, still enjoyable though. snowHead
ski holidays
fatbob,

Yep, I think the mafia will be after me....but I will try and bribe them with a rental...

T Bar, wink
latest report
There's an interesting article on Grimentz & Val d'Anniviers in the ski supplement in today's Telegraph.
snow conditions
ssnowman,

Shocked Shocked
snow report
 brian
brian
ssnowman, aargh. I've only just got over the one in the Sunday Times. Sad

JT, you are on thin ice ! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, You are fighting a losing battle. It is the new La Rosiere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, That will not work... the road up is a bit hairy, and the apre is non-existant.. brian, is that better..?
snow report
That's done it for me....... Very Happy
ski holidays
There was also a full page advert in yesterday's Sunday Times for apartments & chalets in Grimentz Toofy Grin
latest report
 brian
brian
ssnowman, now property I'm definitely not worried about. Altogether now ... Catch a falling investment and put it in your portfolio ... Toofy Grin

JT, better, but don't forget to mention the surface lifts, paltry 50km of pistes etc. etc. wink
snow report
This valley certainly isn't for everyone...it is pretty remote and the skiing is scattered over 4-unconnected-by-lifts resorts. The drives between the 4 really need a car, the nightlife is sleepy and the mileage small but we like it just as it is.

Anyone considering the valley should weigh up how it will suit their needs... it isn't a typical UK TO destination by any stretch.

As for the UK articles, maybe they are selling properties but the village we stay in ( Zinal ) is happy with their take and do not want/encourage expansion. Whether the whole valley shares that view, I am not sure.
latest report
brian, you're not going to like this, but Grimentz is mentioned again in today's Telegraph Toofy Grin
latest report
I blame the TO or developers who must be pushing this...

I think that if they shelve the Chamois lift, .. as they surely should... that'll quieten things down a bit.... Mad
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, the liaison is just a few drawings at the moment, they haven't even started trying to fund it. I spoke to a guy involved with RM de Grimentz in the summer and he reckoned if it happens at all it'll be 6 or 7 years away. Meanwhile, back on planet property supplement, it'll be up and running for 09/10. Em, don't think so rolling eyes Laughable really.
ski holidays
I've been to Grimentz (/Zinal) with the SCGB (they have been doing holidays there for quite a few years). I don't know if it was partly due to thin snow cover or their conservative assessment of the less good skiers, but we didn't ski anything steep. Perhaps I'll have to make up my own group and hire a guide in 2009/10 (too late for this year, I'm all booked up).
Beautiful old village.
latest report
I am considering Grimentz for our family Easter trip next year ... a couple of questions if anybody out there has the answers :

1. Is there a local ski pass for Grimentz only - we are very unlikely to travel to the other Val d'Anniviers resorts so a full pass would be a waste - cannot see any reference to a local pass on the Grimentz web site though.

2. Anyone have any views on the Hotel Cristal ?

3. 1st week of April, would expect reasonable conditions from Bendola (2050m) upwards but could be dodgy back into Grimentz - is this a fair assumption in an average year ?

Ta muchly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy