Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I ski on one ski I tend to fall to the inside...new boots needed or just bad skier????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just watched the classic "Bode Miller on one ski" World Cup race on You Tube and it got me thinking about my feeble efforts.

Having noticed that lots of people use one ski to demonstrate balance or lack of it, I have tried the exercise a number of times coming down a relatively gentle slope, with a ski lifted from the snow.

Each time I seem to turn quite nicely to the inside and I kid myself that turning that way was exactly what I wanted to do. Deep down however I know it's not and I seek the option of going straight or even turning on the outside.

I assure you that without ski boots on I can stand on one leg like the best of them.....is it me or the boots???????
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oi Oi Savaloy, falling to the inside is exactly what you'd if you lifted a ski and did nothing to shift your weight. To go the other way, you first need to go straight by moving your weight over the ski in contact with the snow ... then move further across to turn the other way. It does, therefore, take more commitment. Lifting the 'spare' ski quite high - and out - helps (I find).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i would suspect you are in the back seat which might be an equipment issue but is more likely a skier issue
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take some lessons! However I must admit I've come to dread too many of those types of drills.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm afraid the only cure for this is to cut your goolies off Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deep Joy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oi Oi Savaloy, when you go on one ski, is the other one level? Tip up indicates your weight is too far back, adjust your stance until it comes level and you will be in a neutral centred position.

If you are set up too heavily on the inside edges you will have a lot of problems on one ski, its worth checking the cuff adjustment on your boots to make sure you can actually get your skis flat in the first place if you're poorly set up you doing yourself no favours.

Modern skis are designed to turn with no effort and boots/skis are set up to be either flat slightly on the inside edges. If you suddenly take one ski away you naturally tend to load the inside edge and cause the ski to turn. Getting the ski to run flat and straight requires you to get the weight directly over the middle of the single ski which means adopting a slight contortion which feels unnatural, even then running straight for any distance is quite difficult as any slight change in piste camber will put you on edge and start a turn.

Turning on the outside edge is very difficult, most people doing this actually pivot and skid to get the outside turn and only use the edge on the inside. There are of course highly skilled exceptions but I've seen very few of those.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you need a radical weight shift - so if you are turning left, on your left ski (ie the "wrong" way) you need to really get your right shoulder up - that weight shift takes a lot of commitment. Strong recommend Rick Schnellmann's video. See http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Ski_Instruction_DVD_Video.html

Advanced Balance is the one you want for turning on both edges of the same ski - takes you through all those drills. thanks to the DVDs I am now pretty good at skiing on both edges on my left foot, but still rubbish on the right - I can only do shallow turns on easy slopes on the right ski. But this video takes you step by step - right up to doing 360s on one leg. I'm still at a rather earlier stage than that, though. wink

If you are struggling with turning consistently on the outside foot (ie the easy one) then basic balance would be the one to go for. Better still, get the whole set - they're really good for working with on your own. Clear demos, and builds up step by step.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oi Oi Savaloy, take the other ski off altogether you will be less likely to cheat and use it.
do a few traverses across the slope on the outside edge to start with just to get used to being on it progress these to small turns just one at a time on the outside edge make each turn progresively larger so you become cofident riding on that edge.

Alternatively take a big leap of faith get your weight across that ski and it onto the outside edge.
stand tall and get on front of your boot. its easy to get back seated when starting to try this.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for your helpful replies ( other than you Yoda!!!!) Please don't think it rude of me for not replying but I have been away for few days and not had a chance to look at the site.

I was kind of hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge would suggest I needed a new bit of kit but I will just have to accept that it's probably me!!

Pam, thanks for the link....Ill study the video and continue in search of that little gem that will turn me into that skier, that in my head, I think I am.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oi Oi Savaloy, OK an alternative suggestion wink Assuming that your boots have some "canting" adjustment - which in reality is a means of laterally moving the cuff in an attempt to fit the shape of your lower leg - and that you are male try moving the cuffs to their extreme outward position (i.e. "decant" yourself) if they are not already there. You'll still need to commit yourself to moving your centre of mass across enough to get the outside edge working for you but that extra degree or two might make a difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda,

Thanks very much for the canting/decanting suggestions. I'll be honest and say that I have those "canting" bits on my boots but really didn't know what they did, so just left them. Will give it a try, so thanks again and I will let you know.

regards

Rich
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I was kind of hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge would suggest I needed a new bit of kit but I will just have to accept that it's probably me!!

sorry I was being conscious of the recession and hoping you could practice your way out of this problem wink
You really need new boots, treat yourself to the full CEM fitting and Andi McCann allignment. You'll be sking one legged, switch down mogul fields (by choice) in no time.

Do try to check cuff allignment (often refered to as canting) too as reccomended above. You are trying to match the cuff to your lower leg it leans out if you bowleged in if your knock kneed.

For example, if you are slightly knock kneed and skis tend to run on an inside edge when you are going straight on a relatively shallow slope the cuffs are probably to far to the outside and vise versa.
To set this up at home put footbed in empty shells stand in them with a hip width stance you should have equal gap between shell and leg on each side. Its easier if you get some one else to look and tell you how you are setup and to do the adjustments.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy