Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

15mm forward or 15mm back ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just got some new skis off Ebay. Fischer progressor 7+. I have never tested them but they do look nice in the box Very Happy

On the centre of the mounting plate is a little device that looks as though it will allow me to easily move the bindings forward or back by 15MM.

In what circumstances, or upon which skiing symptoms, would I benefit from moving the bindings either way ?

Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back for powder and forward for piste skiing, in the middle for all-round.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Standard for piste, back for freeride, forward (ie centre) for (proper) freestyle.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-02-10 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forward easier to initiate turns, back for stability at speed etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
forward if you want to carve well on piste back if you dont mind skidding a lot.. i think the back for powder advice sucks personally
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hopefully there's a middle? I'd keep it centre always unless you're experienced enough to know a specific reason you might want something else. Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think leave it as is.

Interesting this. It has been proven I think that mm matter to the World Cup racers.
Does a mere 15mm either way matter to the average skier?

I mean would you really notice if your skis were set up slightly differently this way.

micky forgive me, I'm not trying to be sarky here.

I am really curious.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
forward if you want to carve well on piste back if you dont mind skidding a lot.. i think the back for powder advice sucks personally

Never had tip dive? wink

The main reason the advice sucks is that I'd guess the Fischer progressor ranks pretty low down their range for powder domination.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
.. i think the back for powder advice sucks personally

Why?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
15mm forwards for big bum, 15mm back for big moobs
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
.. i think the back for powder advice sucks personally

Why?

'Coz it makes all your 'turns' into wedelns?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is that Austrian slang for a sh**** turn ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micky wrote:
Is that Austrian slang for a "weasel with a bum itch" turn ?

Yes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, what i see is it puts people in an aft balance state and they end up sittin back skiing with retraction turns when in deeper snow and when on piste pushing the heels and skid checking and as comprex, says mincy wedelening... personally i prefer to be set up in balance as best i can and then adapt for snow and terrain...

what slikedges says is right but IMO it doesnt matter whether you are on piste or off. if you have big moobs or bum sort that out first and then see if you still want to play with fore aft binding location

yes a wee bit back can help if all you are doing is deep snow skiing it may help a tad with tip dive but the main cause of tip diving is due to being out of balance. i think too many fat ski converts forget you can happily ski deep snow with the tips submerged occassionally if you are in balance. the tips dont always have to be planing out of the snow to make turns...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My RX8's had this, as i always had them on piste always used them in the forward position. In the centre position they felt unbalanced and would not engage the tip as easily, and just seemed slow to start the turn, only tried right back once, for 1 run.........it was not good.

I do however have very small boots, so most centre marks put me back from the average skier BOF place on the ski...but that is another topic.

another skier with the same skis on a course i did also found them best in the forward position.
snow conditions
skimottaret,

Thanks for that. Have various pairs of skis (most of them old) and the bindings appear to be mounted at different positions. (When lined up some have more tail than others). The skis with the bindings mounted further back tend to be a lot easier in the pow but not as good on-piste. One pair of wide skis do however suffer from tip dive (stiff shovel) so was thinking of moving the binding back. It's a twin tip park ski and it being mounted on or forward of the mark is probably too far forward for powder.

I suspect for many people finding the one right position that suits them for all conditions (e.g. as carroz above) is the best solution. Others will change fore/aft binding position to suit conditions.

Link on binding position ....
http://homeboyski.com/2008/03/01/how-to-decide-the-right-binding-mounting-point-on-todays-skis-especially-k2-boards/
snow report
DB, agree with all that.. another thing to add to this debate is delta angle of the binding set up. I personally think this makes way more difference than fore aft location.

carroz, boot size makes a big difference as you rightly point out... there is very little written about that subject and it does make a big difference... +-15mm can be easily taken up by boot lenghts...

if anyone wants to get ultra geeky on this subject have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52322#1241101
snow report
my scott punishers, that i don't reaaly use, have a 70mm range of marked binding positions. Initially had them set forward by the shop, not my decision, and off piste they sucked, really had to get the weight back to keep floating, not nice. The forward position is for freestyle, so more balanced going switch, sideways on rails, jumps. I had the binding moved back, all they way, 70mm (boot center), again not quite what I asked for, bloody shop. Much better off piste but now whenever i take some air or just get bounced on a bump I've got to really react to keep the front of the skis down, as my weight is too far back. There's a sweet spot somewhere but i've shelved the punishers in favor of my 8 year old pocket rockets, which this season sport fritschi freeride binding and are lush for off piste. So yes the binding position certainly makes a difference.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Never had tip dive? wink

if you are experiencing tip dive get longer skis and be balanced on them correctly as opposed to short skis that you sit back on.... (i would even advocate fatter skis if tips are diving a lot! )
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
fatbob wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Never had tip dive? wink

if you are experiencing tip dive get longer skis and be balanced on them correctly as opposed to short skis that you sit back on.... (i would even advocate fatter skis if tips are diving a lot! )

A softer ski (esp. a softer shovel) helps prevent tip dive. e.g. Tried Pocket Rockets and Head Madtrix Mojo in same length with almost the exact same tip, waist & Tail dimensions. The PR's floated very well whereas the Mojos tend to dive.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy