Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canazei, Val di Vassa.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at here for the Easter week, first week of April. Ticks all the boxes for us apart from the snowsure negativity? Does anyone actually know the area and can advise whether we will be able catch a lift up and ski all day? I know its their last week of the season, but I assume if Easter was later they'd still be open then anyway? the reports I can find are all good it sounds truly beautiful but there is a nagging going on about the snow, is there good snowmaking to ensure it all stays open? can anyone help please? Thanks Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-02-10 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feefee, I guess you mean Canazei in Val di Fassa.

If anyone could predict the weather 2 months hence they would be rich beyond their wildest dreams.

My guess, having visited the area 3 times in March, is there will be skiing and you could have a huge dump of fresh right down to the valley but the sun and mild temps could be wreaking havoc with the resort runs and some vital Sella Ronda links. There is lots of snowmaking, but if it's too mild it can't be used. They will be going to enormous effort to pull snow from shady spots to repair the runs that are suffering just to keep the links open til season close.

Best snow will be in the high, north-facing shady areas such as Col Rodella/Passo Sella above Selva and Campitello and on the Marmolada and Porta Vescovo above Arabba. The Belvedere area immediately above Canazei gets quite a bit of afternoon sun so could be suffering.

These guys had a great time off-piste in the Canazei/Arabba area at the end of March '07, plenty of fresh at altitude, best time for snowcover in the narrow couloirs:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81695

This was the previous year, 1st week in April '06, note the 19C temperature in the car on their journey down, but plenty of snow at altitude and a huge dump right down to resort on the day they had to leave:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, Oops changed the spelling! Thank you, Yes if we could have a crystal ball eh? I read your previous report, along with others it really does look beautiful! we have narrowed our search to Mayrhofen (put off by the immense no's of brits and queues) Serre Chevalier, and Canazei! I suppose any of them could suffer that week snowwise, but we are on a budget, all intermediates looking for picturesque skiing and not being ripped off! did you go late March? (Ok i know I'm guessing) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
feefee, I 've been twice to Selva in 2nd week March, once was a bad snow year '02, all open, good snow high up, but porridge lower down in the afternoon and really mild, enough to eat ice cream at 5pm watching the sun go down! In '04 we had loads of fresh, it snowed every night and stayed cold.

In '99, I did the 4th week of March, spring snow lower down, south-facing suffering, still good higher up and a big dump mid-week with pretty much the place to ourselves.

Not a lot to choose snow-wise between the 3 places you mention, just depends on weather around that time. Austria tends to stay cooler, but skiing in Mayrhofen is under 2000m, though you've always got the Hintertux glacier up the road. Skiing is higher in Dolomites and Serre Che, mostly between 2000-2500m, but potentially milder weather.

I'd want to book closer to the time if snow quality was really important, though I'm pretty confident you'll find enough to ski on.

Or find somewhere a bit more snow-sure. How about Stuben/Lech in the Arlberg? Or Ischgl/Kappl/See/Galtur?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trouble is there is 9 of us on a budget, I think its either Canazei or Serre Chev to be honest. The lift pass is expensive in Canazei as theres not a family deal? not that I can find anyway! Thank you so much for replying with so much information, much appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually forget that, lift passes work out the same roughly for both places! So Canazei is slightly cheaper, as long as theres enough to ski on I'm sure we'll be happy! Uggh why do we have to be tied to school holidays! reminds me to post something else!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feefee, hope it works out for you, it's a nice area, my favourite, and I've been to quite a few, good value too. The snow has been good so far this year, there's a good base down that should see out the season.

From Canazei there are regular buses to the cablecar in the next village Campitello which takes you straight to Col Rodella at 2400m, usually good snow on the runs up there and down twd Selva.

Head over to Arabba and the Marmolada too, high and north facing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All Booked Shocked decided to go for it, ticks all the boxes for our group and I'm sure we'll find a patch to ski on somewhere if the snows that dreadful! Cant be any worse than Christmas 2006, conditions were terrible, our 2nd trip skiing on rocks and ice and we still had a great holiday Laughing
I will of course let you know how we get on!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been the last three years, albeit Jan and Feb. We have booked again for next Jan already, some times you just have to take a chance with the snow and as Luigi says they work their sock the off to make things work throughout the whole area. Great people and amazing scenery. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you, cant wait to go now snowHead anyone know what the WW1 tour is?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's some info:

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skitours/v12_s12_3.html

http://www.iski.it/index.php?pag=/en/Inverno/BigWarskitour.html

http://www.dolomiti.org/ita/id/giroGrGuerraMap.html

It's a long day, as you cover about 80km, skiing, lifts, horse-tow and buses.

As you will also need to ski to and from Arabba to join it, might end up being too far in total for you, unless you're all really quick skiers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
been to selva and campetillo in the last week of march past two years and theres been plenty of snow and everythings been open..obviously thats no guarantee
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy