Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Punta Helbronner

Poster: A snowHead
Some pics from Sunday....

The area

Chris warming up the legs in the couloir under the top cable car

Between the seracs on the skiers left

Back up to the top, down the ladders and over to the skiers right and the Glacier d'Entreves. Courmayeur in the background.

Happy days

Back up and onto the highlight of the day. The Vallee noire back to Chamonix. We didn't get there until 2.30pm but there still were only 3 tracks.

This snow was perfect. 30cm consolidating out of the sun on a firm base

Chris on the second pitch

Super deep on the 3rd pitch

Epic day. The Vallee noire was the run of the season for me.
snow report
 brian
brian
bobinch, you get around, don't you? Laughing

Deep envy is recorded. Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helbronner looks like a hotspot this season
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, just making the most of the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I heard Courmayer was best for intermediates. Nice photos ... again. I really need to get my car started.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Epic pics!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch, Nice !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic views up there. I didn't ski as it's all off piste but worth going up just for the views.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Envy level reached new highs!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bad ass....
Really should make a point of going to ski Hellbroner one day.
Looks like a lot of fun.

The first couloir photo is a belter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:
I heard Courmayer was best for intermediates. Nice photos ... again. I really need to get my car started.

Loads of big off-piste from the top of the main Courmayer mountain too. The tiny top lift only accesses off piste (like the Valluga top lift at St Anton) and used to only allow people with guides up it (unless they didn't take their skis), though someone told me they have relaxed that rule now (can someone confirm?).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 10-02-10 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, last time I was there, it was very relaxed. The piste skiers turned back and went back down again which was sensible of them. They only had a few signs which didn't do much good. It was ok for those with the sense to realise it was an undertaking but I felt a bit uncomfortable that they weren't more discerning about who they let up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can access good off-piste without going up the top lift, but most of that is an undertaking too - going very far from the piste areas.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, very nice us usual. Have just booked a week in Courmayeur in March with Mrs Norris. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of the best lift accessed terrain around. Nice work man.
snow conditions
PinoP wrote:
snowball, last time I was there, it was very relaxed. The piste skiers turned back and went back down again which was sensible of them. They only had a few signs which didn't do much good. It was ok for those with the sense to realise it was an undertaking but I felt a bit uncomfortable that they weren't more discerning about who they let up.

PinoP, there's another lift *past* the lift that serves the highest piste. Bothe serve some off-piste terrain, but it was the very top lift that was only accessible with a guide. Fromthere, for instance, you can ski a route that comes out on the access road to La Thuile, from where you can get a bus back to COurmayeur if you time it right.

snowball, I was there two seasons ago and the rule had been relaxed then. Didn;t ski it personally but my ski buddy had done so.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone have details of the bus timetable between La Thuile and Courmayeur - as was planning on the off piste off the back of Courmayeur,
snow report
norris, Off hand no, but the ladies in the tourist office were super helpful when we went in. I recall they ran every couple of hours so make sure yo get your timing right or you could be in for a long wait!
ski holidays
nbt, thanks will check it out as the webistes are all rather useless!!
ski holidays
in fact two minutes on google comes up with tihs

http://www.lathuile.it/download.asp?file=/elementi/www/_orari%20ski%20bus%20navette/lathuile-courmayeur.jpg

from this page

http://www.lathuile.it/datapage.asp?id=15&l=3

There's no official stop, loks like you just flag the bus down?
latest report
nbt, oops - i was looking at http://www.lathuile.net/homepage.asp?l=3
Embarassed
snow report
norris, looks like there are fewer buses than I thought - couple each way at each end of the day, one at lunch. Be very careful with your timing!
snow report
nbt, yep that lunchtime one is the key i suspect otherwise Mrs Norris might be hitting me with her board rather hard!
latest report
Not all the routes from the top require a bus back. One simply involves a (fairly) short walk along a road. There are other ways down that turn right and go off the back into a huge bowl (and can be accessed at a lower level over the back, from the top of the previous lift). Those end on a very long path you have to pole and skate along till you arrive at a lift. But it's worth it. Alternatively another good off piste run, which arrives at a lift, starts also from the top of the previous lift and begins with a long traverse across the obvious big bowl, keeping as much height as you can and going over the ridge (might need a tiny climb up). This goes down a big slope and then along beside a stream in a tight valley (you can see it very clearly as you go up the main cable car from Courmayeur).
Obviously any of these require knowledge of off-piste avalanche danger (or, better, a guide).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 11-02-10 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball, Looking at this map you mean the dotted runs, for example over the col d'arp
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
PinoP wrote:

PinoP, there's another lift *past* the lift that serves the highest piste. Bothe serve some off-piste terrain, but it was the very top lift that was only accessible with a guide. Fromthere, for instance, you can ski a route that comes out on the access road to La Thuile, from where you can get a bus back to COurmayeur if you time it right.

snowball, I was there two seasons ago and the rule had been relaxed then. Didn;t ski it personally but my ski buddy had done so.

nbt. I am talking about the top lift which it is ALL off-piste, as you know. The lifties let the group come up with skis, and they were clearly not part of our group. They had no kit apart from piste skis so I think the lift attendant would have done them more favours to tell them where they were headed. They were italian but clearly didn't know. They came back down again.
The same happenes on the Ag MIdi, they let anyone up, and leave it to guides to bo$ock anyone on the arrete who is not equipped and once past that arrete it is too late to turn back.
Although I think the Valluga goes too far and stops anyone without a guide, from the top lift, it might have to come to this.
My point being that people shouldn't be allowed to get too far without knowing the risks. At Grand St B, you have to buy a bus ticket back for the 10km ride to Italy, so they have numbers. Maybe a similar situation required. The signing in might only need be voluntary but at least you would let people know what you have undertaken should you want to be searched for.
latest report
The OP pics look stunning, mighty fine conditions you had there, it seems.

norris, The obvious and easiest is the cut back into the lift system, but stretching south onto the glacier

You will have to traverse back to the ridge underneath the cable car. All other routes go straight on as per the map. There is a big bowl which levels out and you thern decide whether to cut back into a gulley and pick up the higher lift or go right to the valley which is the pole segment and back into the lift system. Don't leave it too late as a) that top slope gets the sun and b) the lifts close and you have to cowboy all the way down to Entreves. This isn't the worse thing ever as I recall, but I wouldn't do it on purpose. Make the last lift connections.
snow conditions
norris Yes. But I have now added the last one I mentioned (to the left of the main skiing)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 11-02-10 12:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball,

As I recall, that looks a quick hike up over the ridge about a third of the way down, no?
snow conditions
PinoP, snowball,

great thanks - I think the St Gervais IGN map has this area (just) so will check it out.
ski holidays
PinoP, yes, a slight hike, but if the traverse has already been made, it is just a fast traverse and only a very short hike up on skis.

I think that lift up from the nursery slops bottom left where you often end up now connects back up much higher into the main ski system than the plan seems to show.
The piste map also doesn't show the much used path down to the bottom of the cable car bottom-right of the main ski area.
snow report
That piste map is a bit out of date. It doesn't show the Dolonne gondola. Latest map available here:

http://www.courmayeur-montblanc.com/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy