Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - San Cassiano 31/01/10 to 06/02/10

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: San Cassiano
Domain: DolomitiSuperSki
Author: simonmj66
Date: 31/01/10 to 06/02/10

Our holiday: Myself and my sister and our three teenage óut of schoolers'
http://www.altabadia.org
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/

Flew Easyjet from Gatwick to Venice after the wonderful air company cancelled flights from Bristol. Transfers arranged by chalet hosts (Mountain Sun) Arrived on time and found good but hard-packed white stuff.

Lift system : Very good. San Cass is about three lifts from Sella Ronda but you can get to Arabba in under an hour and on the day we did the Sella Ronda clockwise (orange) even after taking on about 6 extra runs we were finished by 2.30 after a 8.45 start.

The terrain : loved the variation. Not as steep as my usual haunts (L2A, Cham etc) and the grading is slightly overstated (ie the Hidden Valley is a cruisey blue really) but you got the feeling that you were going somewhere all the time (as opposed to redoing the same mountain via a different piste.)

The snow : Slightly hard packed but evidence galore of snow making facilities which were not needed when we were there.

Off-piste : N/A

The resort : I loved the lack of Brits and the location of the chalet on piste side. There were 2 bars in San Cass itself which were fine for two 40 somethings with teens in tow. Good food on offer - don't shop though unless the clothes are still priced in Lira.

Food : mountain restaurants very good and reasonably priced Ribs and Chips with a beer 15 Euro

Drinks : Beer about 3 Euro in chalet and 4 Euro in town. Malibu and Coke for my daughter 5 Euro!!!!

Accommodation : Stayed in Mountain Sun's Albergo Frohnsinn- absolutely brilliant. 5 of us in one room paid 1700 sterling for full board with 'free flowing wine'. Really helpful staff in particular Jimi and Louise who were happy to ski with us if we wanted them to. Did not expect a tip or payment save for petrol costs where an organised trip was taken

Costs: Flights were £50each . Lift pass was 225 Euro per adult and 168 Euro under 16. Overall much better value than France. I'LL BE BACK.

Highlights: all of it the Marmolada,Cinque Torri but not so struck on the hidden valley slightly overhyped and not close to Cinque Torre for beauty and feelings of glorious isolation etc
[/b]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree on everything as it is representative of many parts of Dolomites. Paid 700 Euro for two HB in accommodation 5 miles from Arabba ourselves afew weeks ago.

I like the statement of
Quote:

you got the feeling that you were going somewhere all the time (as opposed to redoing the same mountain via a different piste.)
as we thought we were alone in thinking that.

Hidden Valley has often been overstated but that is a place shielded from the outside by two soild valley walls. Apart from the run there is nohing inside except Scontoini (the meaty restaurant), anther restaurant and the horse drag at the end. Thus there is no way of visiting this valley unless by skiing or walking through it. Although there isn't a lot to talk about the skiing it is a place reserved mainly for the skiers. It is rather special because there isn't another similar example of it among the rock mass in Dolomites. I like the drawf conifers that grow on the poor organic content of the weathered rock because it is part of the unique scenery of Dolomites.

If you take a bus from the bottom of Marmolada to Alleghe of Civetta to do two runs you could complete the World War I skiing tour which links Alta Badia, Arabba, Civetta and Cortina in a circular loop. The Cortina part of it is the Cinque Torri and the Hidden Valley.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simonmj66, you were lucky to escape us 40 snowHeads who were in Arabba at the time... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, You know how it is - false nose and wobbly eye set works every time!!

Shame we missed you all - it was so quiet out there it would have been harder to miss

tsaikee,

wanted to do the 1WW tour but run out of time . Defo next time

Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy