Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Respect the Mountain wrist band from SCGB

Poster: A snowHead
seems like a great idea

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=2774

RESPECT THE MOUNTAIN

The Ski Club of Great Britain is launching its RESPECT THE MOUNTAIN Campaign following the introduction of its Environmental Policy, launched earlier this season.

Show the world that you care
Those who love the mountains and care about their future can now show their support and respect by wearing the RESPECT THE MOUNTAIN green wristband. Each band costs £2 and can be acquired by calling 09065 224 698, or visiting the Ski Club Shop

All the money raised from the sale of the wristbands goes straight towards our carbon replacement tree planting scheme and research project.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OH COME ON, not another wrist band. rolling eyes
Anyone else want to jump on the BANDwagon?

They are more a fashion accessory - look at me I support a charity/good cause.

If you want to do something worthwhile, send the money direct to the charity, and reduce the carbon emmissions used in producing the band.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

If you want to do something worthwhile, send the money direct to the charity, and reduce the carbon emmissions used in producing the band.

Or join in the days some stations hold to clean up the mountain side during the summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or send to money to me, so that I can respect omuntain on your behalf.

I only have a wee bit of a problem doing the 7th rule

· Reduce CO2 emissions : When possible, use your bike instead of your car

It will take me two weeks just to cycle the 650 miles to the Alps! But for £2 what the hell I think there are 2000 members here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I already respect the mountain, I use the train to get there and why on earth do we want a wristband ? By the way what is the wristband made of because it looks like plastic to me, hardley enviromentaly friendly even if the material is coloured green Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a bit small for a share certificate isn't it? Look, I think I'd better run this over to our legal department. If you could possibly pop back on Friday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh God, don't get me started on compassionate wristbands again... Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
They are more a fashion accessory - look at me I support a charity/good cause.

tough crowd wrote:
Oh God, don't get me started on compassionate wristbands again...

yep, it's these views that prompted me to ask my original question on this thread: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5363

I am still wearing my Livestrong band by the way, but out of sight above my watch under my shirt sleeve.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And yet another ................

http://www.timbosliverpool.co.uk/feature/hjcwristband.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7140617410

http://www.wristbands.name/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tony Lane, fair play. I recall your reasons and I'm pleased you are still wearing it.

However, it would seem my previous ideas for 'amnesty for lice' and 'tickly-cough research' wristbands suddenly don't seem so far-fetched. Perhaps the only thing that will halt the craze will be a lack of colours to choose from.

Seems the craze is speading too - I saw an advert last night for an England Football Team supporter's wristband. The fashion accessory for that special thug in your life.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although I'm a member of the SCGB's Environmental Working Group, I'll comment unofficially (i.e. not on the Club's behalf):

1 Firstly, the significance of the Club's involvement with the Woodland Trust is an important development. A basis for positive environmental change has been set by the Club allocating 50p of each membership subscription to a fund which includes tree planting in the UK. This is hopefully a start of a trend which can see skiing return something positive to the planet.

2 There is, in my view, an urgent need for skiing generally to look at mountains 'holistically' - the many negative impacts that skiing generates - and the CO2 content of the atmosphere - and for us to work out what we are going to do about these things. We need to be guardians of the planet for future skiing generations. We've got to cool the atmosphere if skiing is to have a future.

3 Until yesterday I had no knowledge of the 'Respect the Mountain' strategy, or the wristbands. Somehow this development passed our working group by. However, anything that represents a means of raising money for tree planting might be a positive thing. If you prefer to send a cheque directly to the Woodland Trust - maybe enough to plant a tree (around £15, I think) - that would be welcome too.

4 There is a concern that mention is made of CO2 reduction or absorption occurring as a result of tree planting. This is unproven (because the long term use of the timber may return CO2 to the atmosphere) and I know that the Woodland Trust itself makes no representations to that effect. That level of integrity is actually why the Club chose to work with the Woodland Trust - a long-established registered charity - rather than organisations which make unproven claims about the atmospheric benefits of tree planting.

5 Trees are really really important. They are also very important in the mountains, because they protect the ecology and bio-diversity of these fragile environments and prevent avalanches.

Sermon over.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:

4 There is a concern that mention is made of CO2 reduction or absorption occurring as a result of tree planting. This is unproven (because the long term use of the timber may return CO2 to the atmosphere) and I know that the Woodland Trust itself makes no representations to that effect. That level of integrity is actually why the Club chose to work with the Woodland Trust - a long-established registered charity - rather than organisations which make unproven claims about the atmospheric benefits of tree planting.

Provided it's replanted (i.e, there's a tree growing in a spot for most of the time when there otherwise wouldn't be), this will reduce atmospheric CO2: it's the only place the carbon atoms in the tree can come from.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, it's a worthy cause by the way: please excuse my earlier Pythonesque flippancy, which was more to do with the bands than the underlying idea.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whilst I agree that the cause is definately worth it, I have a real issue with a plastic wristband (very unenviromentaly friendly) being used to "save" the enviroment Confused
ski holidays
Surely it's not bad thing in general if it becomes fashionable to give money to charity? Granted the wristbands are not enviromentally friendly, but they do serve one purpose.
That is that they attract attention to the cause and are (unfortunately) long lasting - people ask about them and get teh word out there - so i think they're ok !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy