Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur for a day?

Poster: A snowHead
We plan to ski Courmayeur for 1 day while in Chamonix this weekend, probably Sunday. We have a car and plan to drive rather than ski over so we can control our return trip. Any tips on where to ski, apres ski, park car. Skiers and boarders in group are all advanced. Thanks in advance for any help![/list]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WSJ50, park at and use the new(-ish) Dolonne gondola. I know it'll be reasonably busy so it may not be such a joyful experience as when we used it in late March but as far as I can see it's the easiest way up and down the mountain.

Lunch - we recommend "Chiecco" just above Plan Checroute - the owners a little fussy, but the food's magnificent (we lunched there last Saturday...)

Apres - no real idea I'm afraid. We liked the American bar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WSJ50, I'd say use the Entreves Gondola as you're coming though the tunnel from Chamonix, it's much closer than Dolonne.

For lunch, I'd recommend the Maison Vielle near the bunny slope. For Apres, there were three main bars last time I went - Bar Roma, American Bar and the Bar Des Guides. However all 3 are in the main town which requires you to drive from either the Entreves or Dolonne Gondolas. Don't think there's any real apreas at the foot of the gondola but it's ten years since I used the Entreves gondola so can't be certain.

If you're alll good skiiers you should be able to tick off every piste on the resort in one day. There's a bit of tree skiing if that's your bag, and if you are reall gnarly dudes there's plenty of proper off piste off the Arp and Youla, maybe worth investing in a guide if you do that as at least one route will take you over towards the access road to a completely different resort
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BTW you can't "ski over" from CHamonix too easily, the only route would be over the Toula Glacier - see the trip report further down this forum! Proper, glaciated off piste, don't ski it unless you know what you're doing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think nbt means the small cable car at Val Veny. Definitely nearer than driving to the Dolonne gondola and plenty of car parking there. However, it's a bit of a circuitous route to get to Plan Chécrouit from there. You have to ski down to Zerotta from the top of the cable car, take the fast chair lift up and then ski down the other side. There's a lovely mountain hut that serves a delicious onion soup on the Pra Neyron blue piste, but typically the piste map doesn't give names of mountain huts. There are simply loads of them in Courmayeur. I did enjoy the food in Chiecco as well as recommended by under a new name.

You can't ski to the bottom of the Val Veny cable car, you'd have to take it back down again. There are no bars there, although Entreves/La Palud is a ten minute walk and there are a handful of bars there. The best après, as described above, is in the centre of Courmayeur, and I've no idea where you'd park. Even the parking at the Dolonne gondola is a fair old hike from there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Val Veny, that's the one! The only piste map I have to hand is a low-res one, sorry!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for the quick response and great info!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WSJ50, ah, yes, Val Veny cablecar (Entreves) may be better idea, completely forgot about it.

Re apres - TBH I'd probably head back to Cham rather than into Courmayeur. Then your driver can relax too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WSJ50, we had a good day on the Helbronner side on Sunday. Worth taking a guide if you don't know the area. Consider taking the bus one way from Chamonix station. That way you can ski back to Chamonix which is a highlight. Here's some pics http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61513&highlight=
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, I remember skiing down to the bottom of the Val Veny lift a long long time ago - a school trip so must have been about 1988! Maybe things have changed since then Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skimummy, the run called 'Val Veny', essentially a snow road, goes to the bottom of the Zerotta lift. The top of the Val Veny cable car joins this run midway but the bottom station is alongside the main road from the Chamonix tunnel. There are no pistes to that point.

The Zerotta lift is newish I think, a fast detachable chair lift, so I daresay it's all changed around.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, We definately skied down from the the top of the cable car to the coach waiting in the carpark. It started to get a little muddy towards the end. I was with a rather crazy instructor so maybe it wasn't a marked run (he had taken me off piste from the top of Youla earlier that week and scared the life out of me!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, Skimummy, there's plenty of off piste down the Val Veny, and there's a road up there in summer that would make a blue run in winter if passable I suppose - not skied it, but if you compare winter and summer maps, many green and blue pistes are the roads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
see the current Helbronner thread which has talked about the other Courmayeur off piste too - see lower down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I've no idea about the off-piste, I'm strictly piste-only.
latest report
under a new name,

Just got back from trip to Chamonix and Courmeyeur. Thanks for the lunch tip about Chiecco, it was great.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy