Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Fawlty Towers-esque place you've stayed in up in the Hills?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a weekend in Saint Jean D'Aulps, PDS staying in a Chalet.
Luckily due to the group dynamics we had a lot of fun.
I certainly learned a lot about how not to run a chalet.
I've only stayed in a couple of chalets, one, top end, lovely location, great hosts, awesome food and great time.
Other one, budget end but still great location, great food, great hosts and again a great time.
This time the experience was laughable.
Upon arrival we were greated like the preverbial door to door salesman. No hellos, no welcome, just 'there's the room list go find your room'
Location was described as '10 minutes from the slopes and close to the local bars' all of which was untrue.
Rooms were freezing on arrival.
Anything seemed too much trouble to be honest. One host just seemed completely stressed non stop even though we were the only people staying there. Her stress levels were infectious!!
The 'cooked breakfast' was more trouble than it was worth.
On asking for the wifi key for internet access I was told to 'ween myself off it for 3 days. The internet is like cocaine you know, you can become addicted.' How very helpful I thought.
In fairness the meals were fine and the wine flowed freely but would have been better had Manuel served them himself wink
If it hadn't been so comical and we hadn't found a common bond I would have been thoroughly disappointed!!
So where have you stayed where you expected Basil to goose step round the corner?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welll... i run one! Blush Blush
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I win this thread (nothing can compare to this!):

Several years ago I was President of Leicester University Ski Club, we had a trip to Tignes.
77 of us in total, we took over the whole hotel, in fact they had to beg/borrow some extra beds and turn doubles into triples.
Behaviour was fine, though budgets were limited. This was a fairly cheap and cheerful hotel down the main road out of Tignes (I don't remember the name).
We were told we could bring in our own booze (since we were 100% of the hotel). On the last night there were about 20 of us in the bar, some buying drinks, some drinking our BYO. My friend Matt was playing guitar, a very mellow vibe.

Without warning the owner stormed in: "Right, THAT IS IT! I'm sick of you lot. The bar is closed, go to bed!!!"
The barman apologised and closed the shutters....but we just stayed in the bar, drinking, chatting and Matt being his human jukebox (he can play just about any tune you can name).

About an hour later the barman re-appeared, he let himself into the bar (with the shutters down) and started smashing it up! Shocked
He was pouring away the spirits, breaking glasses, causing mayhem!

"What the heck?" we asked.

He explained that the owner's wife had jumped onto him while he was asleep in his room, and hard batterd him around the face with considerable force!!

There appeared to be no reason....he was NOT pleased!

Eventually it all died down (the owner and his wife did not appear)....and we all went to bed.

The next morning we woke to find that all the hotel staff had run off in the night, stealing the hotel minibus.
Nobody to cook, nobody to clean...just the very angry owner and his wife.

Our coach arrived to drop off the next guests, and to take us away.

"Good luck!!" we said to our replacements..."you will need it!"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, Shocked Laughing What we really need now is a post from one of your replacements - I think they would stand a good chance of winning!

Will S - nice thread Toofy Grin

(Maybe a passing mod could move this to The Piste, where I think it would get a lot more traffic...)

Edit to add : As if by magic... Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well Kramer lives near some hills... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, Shocked Shocked Laughing

Will S, just out of interest, what nationality? Toofy Grin Lucky it wasn't for a whole week by the sounds of it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, Were the couple Pandoros resort reps this season? Twisted Evil wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not Fawlty Towers but an odd story-
In 1992 when I was 18, three of us drove to the French alps in a 15 year old Morris Marina. We got over to Calais with the Daily Express 'go to France for £1' thing and kept driving. Got to Guillestre, down the mountain from Risoul where there was a youth hostel - full. Any other accommodation we could afford- full. We ended up at he tourist information getting a bit worried and explained our situation. They made some calls and gave us some directions. The upshot was that we ended up in the middle of nowhere, staying on someone's farm in a free room they had. They found some camp beds for us and a litle ring hob cooker. We were charged £10 a night for the three of us. Every day we forced the Marina up the mountain to Risoul. Blew a cyliner and drove home on the remaining three.
Happy, carefree days Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, owen4220, cracking stories!
Lou, our 'hosts' were English and South African and yes, 3 days was just plenty Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fantastic
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
owen4220, The fact a Moggie Marina got out of England is a good enough story Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At least you got food and wine. La Berangere Hotel in LDA ran out of red wine, bread, milk, butter and potatoes at various times of the week last December and the evening meal was served 1-2 hours late most evenings. However the staff were great as was the guiding so would still go back providing the price was right....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
truffaut, thank God it wasn't white wine Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pales into comparison to these stories but we stayed in a 3 star property a couple of years ago...2 adults, one child, one infant in a cot and in our room the three beds were stuck together like one big bed (no spaces at all!) with a wall on one side and about a foot on the other where the travel cot was wedged against the other wall. Cosy. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I stayed in a chalet run & owned by an expat Brit. "luxury chalet" "nothing too much trouble" bleated the website.

Well, there was nothing wrong with the place, but for a bit of flavour:

1. The owner wanted to dine with us - which was all very well, but he wanted to talk about skiing the whole time, and frankly we didn't.

2. Drinks were served at 7.30pm - which is just downright stingy.

3. The nutella was out of date and rancid - and he was sarcastic when we told him.

4. On our final morning, brakfast was not until 9. At 8 I went to the kitchen to scrounge a mug of tea. The kettle was just boiling, so I asked please for some water. No. He wanted to fill the thermos flasks that go on the breakfast table, and I'd have to wait.

5. One evening, after dinner, he asked would we like any more wine, "go on!". So we said yes, and then he asked who was going to pay for it.

6. My bathroom: had cracked floor tiles; the loo seat was falling off; the shower door didn't fit even remotely; and it smelled of damp.

7. The bread. One of the joys of France is the fresh bread. But no, bread was made in a bread maker, or was frozen part-baked "french" bread stuffed in the oven. The croissants (4 every morning amongst 12) were similarly prepared.

8. The boot warmers: Were on a timeclock, which wasn't on for long enough to dry the boots.

Every corner possible had been cut - such a shame, it could have been a really nice chalet, but stingy bachelor owner ruined it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy