Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

maria alm in march

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering a holiday in Maria Alm on the 27h March. I have read about the area being a "snow pocket", but what are the chances of good snow?. Anybody got any experience of skiing there in March?. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, lots of info on here Very Happy

Hopefully it'll be brilliant, we're off to nearby Mulhbach on the 14th March.
We're staying with www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk who are English and Snowheads to which they may give a discount..

I'm told by the chalet owners, who have lived there for 5 seasons, they have always skied right through to March? Also read somewhere on here they tend to get snow later in the season as it's not so much influenced by the Atlantic weather systems as other parts of the Alps are.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, area looks interesting for some different skiing, we are getting a little jaded with France! I have visited the town itself and thought it was very pretty, but did not sample the skiing. Will have a look at your recommendation for accommodation,
Hope you have a good time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Dienten, the middle village in the Hochkonig area 21-28 March 09 and there was tons of snow then. I have skied late March in the Ski Amade region a fair bit in the last few seasons and I would have no concerns about going when you propose although if the weather is warm the lower slopes will be soft later in the day. Its a lovely little ski area and the slopes will be deserted, we skied several runs during the week without seeing any other skiers on them
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot for that, sounds great to me. Only thing now is to convince youngest son ( used to big French resorts) about the extent and difficulty of the skiing. Apparently can't manage without blacks and steep reds!.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Only thing now is to convince youngest son ( used to big French resorts) about the extent and difficulty of the skiing. Apparently can't manage without blacks and steep reds!.

Tell him to do all the runs backwards. wink Or maybe he should take up snowboarding; that'll slow him down a bit, at least for a while. Or work on his technical skills (balance, carving, skiing on
one leg, etc etc). It's a shame when people think they are slumming it unless they are on blacks or steep reds.

Oh - and who's paying? wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As with most kids he can ski backwards, and can see nothing wrong with his technique!. The question of who pays will sort it out though.
Its curious how ones children want to be free spirits for summer holidays but want to bond with parents when skiing crops up.

Thanks for the responses regarding Maria Alm, it seems to be an ideal place to satisfy the needs of our party which includes at least one non-skier.

We will be travelling from the northwest and there seems to be a dearth of cheap flights this year from the north. Anyone got any feedback or suggestions about driving or train to Maria Alm?

Thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would consider getting whatever flights are available at reasonable cost, preferably Salzburg (don't rule out Lufthansa, as costs may be a little more but times & other transfers etc may make a big difference) then get a private transfer to the resort. We've got these people info@taxi-haget.at and for 5 of us to Muhlbach it's €190.

If you have a larger group I'm advised by our chalet owner these are also good http://www.transferservice.at/index_en.php

If not a train to Bischofhofen (?) and local taxi may be an alternative
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldsnowy, I've stayed with austrianfamilyholidays too, last March!! Its lovely you will have a great time, The Fletchers are great hosts and I'm sure will take you out skiing to show you the area! remember the 'crazy ladies' to them!! Very Happy

jackfrost, I have also been to Maria Alm, but in January, it too is a beautiful place, in fact the whole area is so unspoilt, queues are almost unheard of, the mountain huts are superb, and as for snow, the last few years have had fantastic late snow, have a great time snowHead
also transferservice.at are 99euros each way for upto 8 passengers, the cheapest we could find, and excellent service, we have used them twice!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jackfrost, there are no northern flights to Salzburg this year, but the Lufthansa flights from Manchester into Munich are pretty cheap and good timings wise, plus the price you pay includes baggage, free ski carriage, drinks & snacks etc. We paid £100 each return for our March trip, and for the DH and I in Jan, we got a 2-for-1 deal on that, so £50 each return.

The train from Munich to Salzburg and onto Saalfelden will be easy and cheap, then a taxi transfer, or rent a car as we usually do.

D
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all you replies, flights still seem expensive and my wife thinks we could try train all the way to munich. This would be:- Liverpool to euston, St Pancras eurostar to Paris, then overnight Paris to Munich. She thinks we could leave Liverpool Saturday morning, be in Paris early Evening and then Munich at 7am next day. Compared to some of the flights and delays we've had on previous holidays it doesn't sound a bad idea. Has anyone had experience of getting to Austria this way? Thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy