Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a family of early intermidiates thinking of doing a diy trip to Austria next season.We are happy on blues and easy reds so would be looking for a resort with plenty of easy terrain.
Fairly close to an airport with a good ski school and easy access to the slopes would also be advantageous.
Any reccomendations/suggestions and links to accomodation would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach if you like nighlife as well
Zell if you like a big old town
Kaprun if you like something a little quieter

Hits pretty much what you are asking for

There will be lots more suggestions coming along no doubt in a minute Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on where you've been previously, any Austrian resorts you've visited so far which we should avoid pointing you in the direction of?

For a good size area, lots of easy runs with a large choice of diy accomodation and ease of access (we've tried the train and driven, both from Munich) I would say Westendorf is very good. Besides its latest links along to Kirchberg / Kitzbuhel & back across from Brixen to the main Ski Welt area (not been back since either of those links have been completed) the local pass on its own maybe OK for your level?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-02-10 21:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
doghead, Depends on your budget.
Oberlech is heaven (IMO) and ticks all your boxes - however is very expensive to stay there.
Serfaus is regularly rated as the best family resort in Austria but not been yet. Highly rated by other SH's on here. When I have looked at going in the past the accommodation was quite expensive
I'm just back from Kappl about a month ago and thought it was excellent - here's my report http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1426949&highlight=kappl#1426949
Although we (for price) flew to Munich, Innsbruck is an hour away. The skiing really was excellent and pistes lovely and quiet. Great family resort. Hotel Auhof would be a good base
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Johann im Pongau is an hour south of Salzburg and an excellent entry point via it's Alpendorf into the Sportwelt Amadé system. Wagrain is in some TOs brochures I believe and more in the middle of the 4 inter-linked valleys. A base in Schladming gives you the choice of 4 different mountain areas to ski.

All these resorts are within an hour or 90 minutes from Salzburg airport. Lots of terrain for all grades of intermediates and some interesting off-piste if you know where to look for it.

All the ski schools offer instruction in English.

All the resorts have web pages in English and most of the hotels have English versions of their web sites. The hotel finders on the tourist office sites can help you to refine your selections.

wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back from Zell am See - great for intrmediates with a great mix of blues and reds. The town itself is really pretty and most of the accomodation is near the gondola.
We stayed at the Hotel Romantik it was great - fab food and a cosy, welcoming atmosphere - didnt want to come home and would definitely go again - not something I say often.
I had private lessons with Outdo ski school - they were brilliant. Overall a fantastic trip! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would possibly be thinking Schladming, several mountains, loads of great on mountain restaurants easy enough to find accommodation (stayed in some lovely farms round there). Station in town and not too far from Salzburg. Saalbach-Hinterglemm would alsp be on the shortlist. Lech is absolutely beautiful, prices are fairly high though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never been to Austria only Andorra 3 times which we really enjoy but fancy a change.Budget is as always tight we normally spend about £2200 including lunches drinks at night etc.We are not really big drinkers 3 or 4 pints after skiing.Wil this meagre budget get me a week in Austria or am i dreaming.We would need to be half board as i can't cook and don't expect the wife to cook when we are on holiday
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doghead wrote:
We would need to be half board as i can't cook and don't expect the wife to cook when we are on holiday

My italics... austria will suit you Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This year I'm off to Mulhbach (part of Hochkonig area) with other family members as my (quite experienced) usual ski buddies are unavailable, so we've got quite a mixed ability group to keep happy.

The area of Hochkonig is rated in Where to Ski & Snowboard (www.wtss.co.uk) reviews as a '£75' Resort Price Index, the only one they surveyed in Andorra was Soldeu and that was rated at £95, so that's a good indication of what your costs could be comparative to where you've been.

We're staying at www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk - the owners are English and Snowheads Very Happy and they do give a discount to other Snowheads! Transfer is only about 45 minutes from Salzburg, we've got private transfer for 5 of us @€190 return.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doghead, all you gotta do is book your flights... and then we can take care of the rest if you like wink wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doghead wrote:
Never been to Austria only Andorra 3 times which we really enjoy but fancy a change.Budget is as always tight we normally spend about £2200 including lunches drinks at night etc.We are not really big drinkers 3 or 4 pints after skiing.Wil this meagre budget get me a week in Austria or am i dreaming.We would need to be half board as i can't cook and don't expect the wife to cook when we are on holiday

You said "family" in the first post, so the answer to this depends on how many of you, and what time of year you are planning on travelling.

If you just have one or two children, and either they are not of school age, or you can get permission from the school to go outside school holidays, then yes, you should be able to manage within that budget.

If you are limited to school holidays, that might be a little tight, although it is still probably doable if you choose your resort and accommodation carefully.

Most of the above suggestions (apart from the expensive ones) are good if you fly to Salzburg. Other options, if flying to Innsbruck would be the Zillertal, particularly Kaltenbach in terms of the types of runs you are after, or maybe Alpbach, although that isn't all that extensive if you are mileage munchers. Neiderau is often one of the cheapest options in Austria, and the ski school has an excellent reputation, although again, the terrain is a little limited.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex heaney we are a family of 3 boy age 13 i am pretty limited with annual leave work closes for 3 weeks round christmas new year. Not really bothered about high mileage more of a couple of runs then stop for a fag and a coffee type of skiier.Wife is a bit nervous so we need plenty of blues because as soo as she sees red marker posts she tenses up and forgets she is a reasonable skiier
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Saalbach/Hiterglemm/Leogang is a nice intermediate area with Leogang best for the beginners.

Austria has a lot of beginner areas but they are not big and are unlikely to be found in UK tour operators' brochures. The famous resorts visited by foreign visitors are usually infested with red slopes but many do have parts devoted to early intermediates.

For mixed abilities the I found Hochwurzen of Schladming also ideal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach or Westendorf would be ace. If in Saalbach, go to Furstauer Ski School for the best instructors. You could think about Ischgl, it has plenty of intermediate runs, although it's quite pricey and you may not make the most of it. For a cheaper one maybe take a look at Axamer Lizum, next to Innsbruck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy