Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe or Glenshee for snowploug beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

My wife is a good beginner and can snowplough from the top of Bhead Xscape and can also do the carpet toew run at the beginner section at the lecht.

Thyat is just ot give you an idea of her standard.

She may be joining me next week at either Glencoe or Glenshee.

My only concern is that at glencoe, the 1st Plateu Poma beginner run can be a bit gritty, but I know she will be okay on that. However I know that if she went up the hill on the chair then the green rundown is a bit steep IE the thrombosis and bunny run.

So my concern is that it may be bit boring for her on the same run all the time.

Is Glenshee better for more variety for a beginner and if so are the greens a bit too steep for a snowplougher?

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glenshee or Cairngorm better. Even Nevis Range would be better than Glencoe
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
glasgowcyclops, the up track at Glencoe was OK today but I'd say Glenshee. Claybokie and Sunnyside (if not too busy) are ideal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
glasgowcyclops, Glenshee - best Scottish beginner area is the Lecht, next Glenshee, then Cairngorm, Nevis and Glencoe - don't take her anywhere near Glencoe!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No one likes Glencoe as a beginner option? the poma isn't any worse than anywhere else so is it the runs people think aren't beginner friendly? would like to know peoples opinions on this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi easiski, We've been at the lecht on the magic carpet. Found that run too short she had only a few turns then had to coast to the start of the carpet. I thought the 1st tow at Glencoe was ideal in distance but I was a bit worried about the speed of the poma for a beginner and also the lower green has quite a steep bit on it.

If she is up for it I think I'll go to Glenshee this weekend. If she is not then I imagine I'll head ot Glencoe myself.

Thanks for the tips folks

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a strong snowplougher can go top to bottom right now on Cairngorm, and both the lower (car-park runs) and upper (ptarmigan bowl) beginners areas are loaded. an hour or two on the sheiling/car park tows down the bottom, move on up to the ptarmigan bowl (via the train) for more variety and potentially more challenge, then finish the day by skiing from the top all the way to the bottom (all on greens). great confidence booster for beginners (weather my be the killer though rolling eyes , but if you get a good day, will be brill).

geeo, Glencoe for beginners may just lack enough variety to keep interest - depends on what level they are, how quickly they progress etc.

all 5 centres can happily cater for beginners, though would agree that cairngorm, lecht and glenshee possibly have the edge. the other thing to consider for beginners (particularly her-indoors beginners) is the off-hill amenities, even if it's only a good coffee on the way home after a day trip or whatever. Cairngorm probably edges this over the others with the flesh-pots of Aviemore at its doorstep. (try the new cake shop at glenmore forestry commission centre at the bottom of the hill)

the most important tip though i would say is to pick a day and centre that gives you the best chance of a decent overhead and underfoot (frequently neither rolling eyes ) conditions, a bad weather or sheet ice day for a beginner can be terminal!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ooooooppppssss Folks.

I said she was a good snowplough beginner. ON reflection perhaps she is an okay "fridge" snowplougher. Happy

I think it is Glenshee then if she is coming with me at the weekend.

ATB
Bob
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry wrote:
a strong snowplougher can go top to bottom right now on Cairngorm!

Unless they're a good draglift rider you need to caveat that with .... if they don't mind walking should they happen to turn up on a day when the train isn't running.

Because of the current hit and miss train situation at Cairngorm then, I'd agree Glenshee is safest bet for a snowplougher at the minute. That said, I spent much of my time on Thursday enjoying great snow off the Fiacaill poma while my boys were walking up and down the snow next to the Cas car park for their boarding lessons. They were unable to use their lift tickets which I'd paid for as part of the lesson package because the instructors are told not to take beginners on the drags. I have emailed Cairngorm with receipts in faith and expectation that they'll sort this out by sending me 2 junior day lift passes.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 8-02-10 22:13; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
glasgowcyclops, There are more lifts at the Lecht than the magic carpet, but it sounds as though Glenshee would be ideal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi easiski, Yep she is getting better but just a bit edgy on the poma. The steepness (or lack of) on the lecht magic carpet is ideal but just not the length.

cheers
bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy