Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cancelled holiday in Courchevel..where to book last minute late season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I should be on the first day of my holiday in Courchevel today (Sunday) , but I fractured my ankle whilst running on Friday, so instead am sitting here in plaster morose (with my even more unhappy husband and kids) whist our friends have fun in France!

I reckon my plaster will come off on about 19th March and a small part of me wonders if I'll be able to to a ski holiday at easter or just after if I book last minute........ however my more sensible side keeps telling me there's no way that I'll be advised to ski this year, but for now I'm ignoring that voice of reason!

If against all the odds we were able to ski this year, which resorts would anyone advise. I know they'd have to be high and ideally child friendly. Would you book flights and accomadation separately or do it through a tour operator (all the flights from Bristol for w/c 10th April are full and the 2 Easter weeks are very expensive).

Obviously there are all the usual suspects like VT, Zermatt/Cervinia, St Anton, Obergurgl, Chamony but someone mentioned Sierra Nevada to me. Does anyone have any opinions about where would be good to go, or any other resorts I haven't thought of. I think I've discounted Canada and the US because we can only go for a week.

We normally go with Crystal to one of their club hotels with Whizz Kids to take the kids to ski school. Any thoughts on how much hassle it is to get a 6 and & year old to ski school by yourselves?

Many Thanks for any advice.

Fingers crossed!

Kate
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky really and I think you would need your ortho consultant's and physio's advice. I broke my arm in November 2007 (and also had major abdominal surgery and radiotherapy in March-June 2007) and went skiing in March 2008. I was a long way from anything resembling fitness and my arm was very weak, but I managed OK and had a great time.

Obviously your timescales are a lot tighter than this, but a lot depends on the nature of the injury and your general levels of fitness as well.

As for late snow, I think any high resort should be a reasonably safe bet but any time during school hols is going to be more expensive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kate0, Go to Hintertux in the May half term to give yourself time to heal and fully recover.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kate0 wrote:
We normally go with Crystal to one of their club hotels with Whizz Kids to take the kids to ski school. Any thoughts on how much hassle it is to get a 6 and & year old to ski school by yourselves?

Many people take their own kids to ski school wink Most of the hassle is done already, clothes, sun cream etc, it's just a case of finding accommodation that's walkable to the rendezvous point. If you want you could even sing a song on the way Very Happy

Hope you recover quickly and aren't in too much pain Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kate0 wrote:

We normally go with Crystal to one of their club hotels with Whizz Kids to take the kids to ski school. Any thoughts on how much hassle it is to get a 6 and 7 year old to ski school by yourselves?

Our kids (triplets) are 6 1/2 now and have been having ski school hols since they were 4 1/2.

We used Crystal for one hol last year. We've also taken our kids to ski school on our own. As Lou says there's no real difference between getting kids ready for Whizz Club or getting them to ski school (although in our case the Whizz Club was in a different hotel).

At Easter we're going to Le Grand Bornand where we use the Mom'en Ski service where we drop the kids off at ski school, then after ski school they're given lunch and then play 'til about 2pm. After that we ski with the kids for a bit. It works out really well - I don't reckon the kids would want to ski with us for more than an hour or two. Well, they may want to but they'd just get exhausted.

We've been to Le Grand Bornand at Easter before and has superb snow - fresh every night and blue skis all day - but it's quite low so not 'guaranteed' late season skiing.

Might be worth checking whether any of the higher resorts have a Mom'en Ski or equivalent though?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Huge sympathy - just goes to show that all that exercise stuff is dangerous for you Smile

See what deals Esprit have for that time

What considerate husband and kids you have - i am sure many others would be tempted to have gone anyway
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kate0, I broke my ankle and had a pot on for 6 weeks a few years ago (luckily after the ski season) and even after I had the pot off I was surprised by how long it took to get the ankle back to normal working order and full strength - I'd listen to th quacks and physio's advice on when you can use it again!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My ski partner broke her ankle a couple of years ago. We went skiing after about 7-8 weeks, She couldn't walk on it without pain but had no trouble skiing. We went to Castleford before the trip to see how it was before booking. The boot acted like a cast and she was fine apart from some difficulty getting it on and off.

adrian

PS. I'd have gone without her...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sev112, agt, I think my husband is now definitely wishing he had gone without me (after looking after all 3 of us today Sad - they are now playing Mario winter olympics on the Wii, but i'm not sure that it quite hits the spot!)

Thank you all for all the great information, especially with regard to the fracture which is now beginning to really irritate me.

Depending what they say at hospital I guess i can make my mind up much nearer to the time, but having always booked ages in advance a last minuter fills me with trepidation!

Thanks again

Kate
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kate0, Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Look at Neilson, Hotel Aalborg in Les Deux Alpes. Similar to Crystal, the kids club is in the hotel and the staff will to and fro your kids. Snow will be reliable there. If your ankle is not up to it the hotel has a good terrace in full sun with loungers and a little spa, I can think of worse places to be wih a dodgy ankle snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kate0, You could consider Mark Warner (Dahu) in Courchevel 1850, they have kids clubs and its close to the ski school meeting place and main lifts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem with trying to ski after the break will be as much leg strength as any problems with the ankle. If your not weight bearing in your cast the leg muscles are going to dissapear pretty quick! I would consider getting advice on some exercises that you could do whilst in the cast (leg lifts etc) that might minimize this, would give you your best shot at being able to ski! Good luck with it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Kate0,

Really sorry to hear about your bad luck Sad

Anyway, just thought I'd point out my post here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61425 which may be of interest to you. I have a number of spaces on a package holiday to a nice chalet in VT due to pull-outs from my group - though it may be too soon after your cast comes off.

If not, best of luck with finding something that suits!

Darren
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy