Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mont Fort Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am off with the family to Nendaz at Half term Can anyone give me an idea as to the run from the top of Mont Fort. I was hoping to ski it with my son, but wanted an idea before we have a go. We are both reasonably good skiers, he is very good off and on, I am confident on most on piste runs but lacking in style off piste. I never had that lesson!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mfamily2, depends on the snow conditions. The run off the top is steep and usually full of moguls. If it' icy it can be quite dangerous. I once watched someone fall at the top and body surf the whole way down, and thence into a blood waggon Shocked If the snow is soft then it's not really a problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mfamily2, Well first of all it's worth going up there for the view, hard to think of a better one in the alps. Skier's left is the easier option but tends to have bigger bumps because of more traffic usually with a lot of punters struggling out of their depth! Like any fairly steep run it commands respect and depends on the snow conditions but it sounds well within your capability. Check it out in the cable car first and you can always make your decision then depending on how everyone else is doing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2, here it is with me getting down one way or another - it's pretty steep. It's a fabulous run if the snow's soft - the hardest bit as Steilhang says, can be the path at the top to drop in, which is often narrow and rutted.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is comparable to something like the Grand Couloir black in LDA - i.e. it is a genuine black and about the only genuine black in the area. They don't groom it and it is steepish - around 30 degrees or so on skiers left off the traverse. The moguls make it feel steeper than it actually is. Don't leave the piste as it runs on to a glacier.

The view is stunning - on a good day you can see the Matterhorn in one direction and Mont Blanc in the other.

Advice would be to get up there early. If you get the 810 bus from Nendaz to Siviez then you can be up to the col de Gentianes by about 910-915. You will have a window to ski it in peace before the crowds arrive from Verbier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The right side of the slope is steeper but much less skied (so no moguls).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a good photo of Mont Fort (not mine):

The left side of the the photo is steepest, around 38 degrees at the top.

The far-right side is less steep, around 35 degrees.

For a tougher challenge, climb up the path to the cross in the top-left corner of the photo, rope across the narrow ridge at the top, then ride off the back down the Fall Wall chute (not in the photo). It is about 55 degrees near the top.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold,
Quote:

No it's not.

Quote:

No it's not.

Quote:

For a tougher challenge, climb up the path to the cross in the top-left corner of the photo, rope across the narrow ridge at the top, then ride off the back down the Fall Wall chute (not in the photo). It is about 55 degrees near the top.

I don't know the "Fall Wall chute" but from the description it sounds like Poubelle. In which case, no it's not.

Buy an inclinometer.

snowball, less bumpy and slower to mogul up on skiers right but the whole face has bumps on it now.

mfamily2, if he (and you!!)can ski bumpy blacks then I see absolutely no problem, the run is in good condition atm and the weather set to stay cold for the next week at least. I completely agree with gorilla's advice although you might fancy a warm up, if you're quick you could do the red off the Novelli chair in Siviez and might still make Mt Fort for first bin up. I think the biggest risk is being hit by someone falling although with the snow as it is this is fairly minimal. Also be aware that the run is on a glacier and although the massive slides before the run was opened should have filled any crevases I wouldn't advise going off the sides no matter how many others are doing just that.

Have a great trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

No it's not.

Quote:

No it's not.

Quote:

I don't know the "Fall Wall chute" but from the description it sounds like Poubelle. In which case, no it's not.

Buy an inclinometer.

1. Yes, it is.
2. Yes, it is.
3. I have a loser-ometer and it is pointing right at you wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

3. I have a loser-ometer and it is pointing right at you wink

Laughing But then again I'm not the guy claiming the Mt Fort piste is 35 degrees. We've got a tentative plan to ski/board Poubelle this week, I'll take some photos but I'll say now that if it was 55 then there would be no plan, the Bec Des Rosses might approach that at some points but there aren't that many slopes on this latitude of that steepness that hold enough snow to ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:

Laughing But then again I'm not the guy claiming the Mt Fort piste is 35 degrees. We've got a tentative plan to ski/board Poubelle this week, I'll take some photos but I'll say now that if it was 55 then there would be no plan, the Bec Des Rosses might approach that at some points but there aren't that many slopes on this latitude of that steepness that hold enough snow to ski.

Too true. The only skiable face (properly skiable) in Verbier that is approaching 55 degrees would be the very top of the Bec Des Rosses north face.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
actually, if you enter the Poubelle from the very top it is very steep for the first 20m or so. The usual entrance is nothing like as steep
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, 55 though?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe we are talking % and not ° ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, probably depends on how the cornice develops but it's only ever going to be 1 or 2 turns
latest report
mfamily2, the black piste is pretty easy and very wide.
snow report
Many thanks for the lively debate and having looked at the photos, we will certainly be giving it a go. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
mfamily2, it's a steep run where if you fall you can end up at the bottom (probably with a few bumps!). The left side (looking at the photo) gets flattened and is used for speed skiing! I avoid moguls like the plague so on the rare occasions that I have to descend it i head to the softer snow on the skiers far left. Be careful though I skied straight over a crevasse on that side earlier this season. The backside is much more fun but you need to ski it with someone who knows the routes.
ski holidays
The lower part of the back:
ski holidays
Poubelle is a Verbier highlight, it certainly isn't 55 though.
snow report
Frontside Mt Fort is skiable by a gutsy 5 weeker. The degree of style is a somewhat different matter.
I assume it holds some interest for you both to bother marking it a 'goal' so go for it if in good condition.
The best lesson learned here is when to avoid slopes like this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy