Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How difficult can it be?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm fed up paying £15-£20 every time I need to fill edge and wax my skis, and my wife’s and my sons x 2! An annual outlay of about £120 or so.

How difficult can it be to DIY for a moderately intelligentish keen amateur home improvement engineer with a love of skiing.

Any tips on technique, tool outlay etc?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tips; see http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
Technique; as above
Tool outlay; less than you're paying for your families annual ski service.

good luck. it's easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What kiwi1, said, been DIYing for many years now, and I'm not the most handy DIYer....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
griffterski, Have a look on you tube there are lots of video clips on ski tuning
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've decided to give it a go. This afternoon seemed a p[erfect oportunity.

However having cleaned, p-texed.......

When tuning the edge on my K2's they have a base angle of 1 degree and a side angle of 2 degrees apparently!

Does this mean that I need to set the tool thingy to 88 or 87 degrees - ie is the angle accumalative?

I did say I was only moderatelly intelligent!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
griffterski, see kiwi1 link above. Get the DVD.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
griffterski, wot Smokin Joe, says. But should be the 88 I suspect. For all the tools I have the edge is measured related to the base, not the base edge angle.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been doing my own for a while and would hesitate to use a shop now. In terms of edge angles I tend to leave the base angle alone and just do the edge. It seems to be that getting the base correct is fairly tricky without the right kit.

But another recommendation for Jon's ski tuning

ps. I don't see him post much on here any more Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, I'm still here snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, wish you were a bit closer! Just put my skis through Snow & Rock - burrs all over the place. And I'm far too kack-handed to do my own. Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
griffterski, I'm currently working on 4 pairs of skis at 2 x a season for a edge and wax S&R would change £160 minimum.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
griffterski wrote:
I've decided to give it a go. This afternoon seemed a p[erfect oportunity.

However having cleaned, p-texed.......

When tuning the edge on my K2's they have a base angle of 1 degree and a side angle of 2 degrees apparently!

Does this mean that I need to set the tool thingy to 88 or 87 degrees - ie is the angle accumalative?

I did say I was only moderatelly intelligent!

As I understand it, the base angle doesn't need to be tweaked as often so you will probably be better leaving that for now - the base guide is also a different tool.

For the edge angle, a 2 degree edge angle would require the tool to be sent to 88 degrees, or vice versa Smile

Defiantly recommend either getting some first hand tuition, or spending some time watching videos or Jon's DVD!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I mark the edge with a felt tip pen, then when you file it, it's easy to see what you are doing, also if you have the angle wrong, its very obvious.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, Cool
ski holidays
Hi spyderjon, Off to buy your DVD tomorrow.

cheers
bob
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy