Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've just completed a comprehensive review of seven models of transceiver. We believe this is the most comprehensive comparison available for UK consumers. It features in-depth descriptions of features, videos of single and multiple burials and summaries including recommendations. The review also includes the ever popular Barryvox Pulse and the new BCA Tracker 2.

Read it here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/Transceiver-Review-2010.html

Facewest
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good reviews, and pretty similar thinking to what I found on an IML training course a couple of weeks back. Doesn't seem like you looked at the performance on deeper burials (1m+). We did some experiments with this and found it was where the new 3-antenna transceivers really come into their own. The "hotspots" found on the pinpoint search phase with a 3-antenna unit corresponded very closely with the position of the buried transceiver, meaning only 1 or 2 goes with the probe were required to hit the target. The old 2-antenna units (e.g. old Barryvox) were not bad, but generally were out by a distance similar to the burial depth, meaning a lot more probing was required. A notable exception to this was the Tracker 1 - we found it really seemed to "lose its head" in this situation and could be very far out. Old school single antenna units were really down to the skill of the searcher, but at best were as good as the older digital units.

Didn't try the Tracker 2 - we had the S1, Pulse, Opto 3000 (old Barryvox), Tracker, M2 and F1 to play with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
F1 is still what I want people looking for me with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you tried the new stuff? No way in hell do I want people looking for me with an F1, especially if they're noobs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i find the F1 pretty easy to use and can't see any advantages from other units for single burials. and the F1's range seems to be about 20m extra so while someone with a different unit is still looking for a signal, the F1 owner is following a flux line straight (well, not quite straight) to the victim

multiple burials is a different thing but thinking how I actually ski, it is almost always one at a time; safe area to safe area if there is any risk at all. and quite a lot of the time i am only skiing with one other person
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also consider myself to be pretty competent with an F1 and I agree with most of what you say Arno, but the other way in which the F1 is less effective than the new kit is with the scenario which is the most likely but which hardly anyone seems to practise - a single, deep burial.

There's no doubt that an F1 is much less accurate in this situation. On our course, even a top IFMGA guide with a good 10 minutes of fannying about was still over 1m out, whereas even new users of the S1 or Pulse were spot-on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd wrote:
I also consider myself to be pretty competent with an F1 and I agree with most of what you say Arno, but the other way in which the F1 is less effective than the new kit is with the scenario which is the most likely but which hardly anyone seems to practise - a single, deep burial.

There's no doubt that an F1 is much less accurate in this situation. On our course, even a top IFMGA guide with a good 10 minutes of fannying about was still over 1m out, whereas even new users of the S1 or Pulse were spot-on.

That sounds like spiking, where you get a false positive. The new devices are very good at eliminating this problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wouldn't you be probing at this point?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Wouldn't you be probing at this point?

Yes, but with an F1 you'll have to probe a circle maybe as much as 1.5m diameter, so you'll likely be probing for a couple of minutes. With a Pulse, S1, etc. you'll probably hit the target on the first or second shot with the probe (that was our experience anyway).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Facewest.co.uk, it is a shame you refer to the Pulse sometimes as the Barryvox Pulse" and sometimes as the "Barryvox" in the article and tables, especially since there are quite a lot of the previous Barryvox beacons still out there. Better to refer to it consistently as the Pulse?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, not the people I ski with.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's good to see the reviews of transceivers.

Ultimately, however it comes down to practise. People can go out and buy a really good transceiver but if they don't practise it will not turn them into an overnight expert. "All the gear and no idea".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy