Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just been to Savognin for 5 days which was very pleasant. Am toying with the idea of going to Serre Chevalier maybe March time but would like any inputs if anyone has flown into Turin and driven across the border with a rental car. Is there any do's and don'ts or would I be better off flying into a French airport instead.

Thank you! Blush
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The TOs fly to Turin for Serre Che so I would imagine that's the easiest journey.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
streaky, the easiest airport is Turin, you will hardly notice the border, but Grenoble is a reasonable journey too. I've heard reports of some smaller car hire companies not allowing you to cross the Italian border with their , but the mainstream companies have no such clauses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
streaky, Our family booked usually book through Holiday Autos who use a variety of hire car business's at Turin Airport. Targarent in Turin who Holiday Autos contracted, their small print demands that you inform them if your travelling to another country. It only became a problem when we broke down.

We've used the likes of Alamo, Avis and Europcar at Turin airport and never had a problem.

The journey is fairly quick and easy as long as there hasn't been a heavy snowfall in the last couple of days. It involves a short stretch of dual carriageway to get onto the Turin bypass and then off for the well signposted A32 towards the Frejus tunnel and Bardoneccia. Then turn off the motorway after about 40 minutes up the Col du Montgenevre. The pass very infrequently closes due to snow. The road has lots of hairpin bends with many of them in short tunnels. At the top of the Col your in France. There is a border hut and a sign that marks the fact you've in France, you don't have to stop for passport control. The road then descends into Briancon and your in Serre Chevalier. Takes about 1 hour 40 on a good run to Briancon.

Hope that is clear.

It is a beautiful drive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turin is definitely a good choice. Chambery is best airport in France as you then drive through the Maurienne Valley, take Frejus tunnel and you are on the other side of Montgenevre, Briancon - motorway/dual carriage all the way to Oulx.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
XPeak, But the problem with Chambery is that it is often closed due to the weather and you have to pay about €50 for the tunnel

The amount of reasonably priced flights and the close promixity makes Turin a very good airport for the Southern French Alps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
streaky, it's about a 2 hour drive max (more like 1 hour 40 as suggested above)from Turin - easy! Just don't miss the turn off sign posted Sauze d'Oulx to take you off towards Montgenevre. It really is straightforward.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The pass very infrequently closes due to snow

I've driven the pass on two trips from Turin - once in January and once in the first week of April. Snowchains were needed on both occasions. Best make sure that your hire car has some wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks! You guys are the bestest! Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, No doubt snow chains are essential in winter. But in terms of having to do the 3 hour extra detour via Grenoble through the Frejus Tunnel and up the Col du Lautaret, because the Col Montgenevre is closed due to avalanche risk is a rare event.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

streaky, Our family booked usually book through Holiday Autos who use a variety of hire car business's at Turin Airport.

We've also done holiday autos from Turinstreaky, . The 'worst' bit is the motorway around the airport. The pass was fine when we did it. [But I do speak as the passenger]. Not too hairy a drive.

Have also driven from Chambery - remember getting stuck behind german lorries Crying or Very sad . Two went through the tunnel and the third guy had protracted argument with woman in booth which we were surmising was - 'The guys up front were going to pay for me, honest...'. Was a loong wait.

Laughing

Turin is much the quicker than any French route. Have a great hol.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy