Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Dolomites and French 3 Vallees – a few more personal comparisons

Poster: A snowHead
harriet, which resort out of interest ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, are you refering to my most recent trip to austria/germany or up and comming to my dads? in germany and austria this year ahrwald,hausberg,biberwank , and correct me if im wrong theres a big stamp over the lift pass but looks something like horne bahn or horme bahn ???? (baisically zugspitz arena and zugspitz classic with the exception of one or two as we went somewhere different every day ) that was in germany with a rickety old lift that took about 40 minutes to get to the top and only like 2 runs ???? i dont know exactly which bit of the dolomites yet as thats in my dads control of aranging all that for my birthday Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:
evanski wrote:
... 3V is not the ugliest, with St Martin fairly easy on the eye, but Les Menuires, VT and Courchavel 1850 are pretty

pretty... what? You missed off the last adjective there - Grim? Foul? Abominable?

Err, yeah Blush edited - I've opted for grim, but all three are good words.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FORZA ITALIA
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been following this thread with interest and think that the Sella Ronda area might be the best chance of giving my non-skiing Mrs an enjoyable holiday and my 20 somethings the chance to switch from boards to skis. Where is the best venue for beginners and non-skiers, with a particular emphasis on everyone being to meet up for lunch? I would be quite ???happy to forego my skiing interests to get them all motivated in a good venue. Any thoughts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harriet, sorry I meant the Dolomites...just curious to see which resorts people go to
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DavidYacht,

If you can ask all of them to meet at the restaurant next to highest station of the Tofane cable car. Seeing the wide valley of Cortina Ampezzo in a sunny day is priceless.

The highest point of Dolomites is Marolada which can be reached by two cable cars from Malga Ciapela but I do not know if there is a restaurant at the top though. One can ski from this 3342m peak down to Malga Ciapela.

There is also a cable car at the top of Passo Pordoi to go up Piz Boe but again I do not know if there is a restaurant at its top. No piste run indicated there so I suppose a restaurant should be available.

Lagazuoi cable car top (start of Hidden Valley) has no restaurant.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, Has the refuge Lagazuoi not got a restaurant? I thought it was a restaurant aswell as a refuge. When we visited in June, it was low season so it wasn't open. But thought it might be in the ski and summer season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, there is a restaurant at Lagazuoi, just above the cablecar station, but Rifugio Scotoni is a better place to stop.

saikee, there is a restaurant at the top of Sass Pordoi and at the top of Marmolada cablecar.

Here they all are:

Rifugio Lagazuoi

Rifugio Maria al Sass Pordoi

Rifugio A. del Lago (Marmolada)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And now for some picturesque mountain restaurants, some of my faves:

Rifugio Scotoni, Hidden Valley

Baita Daniel, Seceda area, Val Gardena

Utia de Trausines, above Corvara
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everybody for all your help with info regarding lifts, villages, accommodation ect, I,ve just booked in Corvara, last week March. I cannot wait! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have own transport going there in late Mar should enable you to access the various areas with less risk of the snow closing the passes.

Each of the 12 areas of Dolomites has its own piste map which you can request during your visit. The common sketch of Dolomites in every area piste map does not provide the sufficient details but it is good to show the relative positions and the concentration of lifts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveMcSki, have a good one! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi,

Nice pictures!

Is it possible for SH like DaveMcSki to drive to Scotoni to try the meaty BBQ lunch or the horse drag of the Hidden Valley if her wife finds going up a cable car and skiing down the long red run too much a challenge? Somehow I feel the Hidden Valley could be very enjoyable for them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, you missed the one at the top of 5 Torri: best hot chocolate I've ever had.
latest report
saikee, You can buy (about £7 in the UK from Stanfords) a "proper" piste map of the Sella Ronda area. It is a normal map (contours, roads,crags etc.), with pistes overlaid on top. One side 1:25000 scale of just the Sella Ronda itself, the other side 1:50000 scale of a much wider area. For anyone used to being in the hills with proper maps it is much easier to navifate than from normal piste "maps" which are not-to-scale drawings.
latest report
DaveMcSki thats the week im going too!!!!! look out for some kamikaze english Laughing
snow conditions
harriet, I dont have rear view mirrors on my skis! Very Happy
latest report
RobinS,

I must admit being puzzled by the amount of local area maps, doubled as the ski map, sold at some shops around Dolomites when the proper piste maps are free.

Visitors don't need to have a ski pass to get the official piste maps which are generally left outside free to anybody at the ski pass offices and some gondola stations. I was never refused when I went to a new area and requested a couple of piste maps from any of the ski pass office.

What it amazed me was for the first time I could get a "poster" size piste map from Arabba ski pass office. I have one fixed to a partition wall at work. The posters were not folded but in a straight gross sheet free to anybody visiting the Arabba ski pass office.

An "official" ski map always has a 3D map showing all the runs and lifts of that area as well as the plan. The only trouble is to carry one for each individual area and that becomes confusing when I did the World War I skiing tour which passes Arabba, Cortina, Civetta and Alta Badia.

Despite the attempts by every resort to economize by reducing the size of the piste map those produced for the Dolomites are still the best and among the largest in the Alps.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
luigi, you missed the one at the top of 5 Torri: best hot chocolate I've ever had.

Go on then!!

Rifugio Scoiattoli, Cinque Torri area, Cortina D'Ampezzo;

snow conditions
luigi, Nice photo. I've only been there once a couple of years ago but plan to go again this year. Only a week on Saturday and I'll be back in Arabba Very Happy
latest report
Done the Dollies three times; simply superb every time. I haven't been to 3V yet; I am definitely going this season and it will have to be pretty special to surpass the Dollies.
ski holidays
I think the big difference is that the Dollies are towns amd communites that are as busy in the summer as they are in the winter. The 3V are purpose built. I love driving around the Dollies in a car. The towns are in the valleys, with churches, real bars and people etc. It also means the pizza place doesn't have to cover their fixed costs in a 12 week period so the food costs are incomparible.
There's also no comparison with service. In the Dollies you're gonna likely get a locql worker in a family business with a bit of a pride. Not a gap year dude or dudess who is either hungover or 'stoked'

Austria offers something similar with ski Amade ect.
If I were in my 20s it would be the 3V. In my forties
The Dollies everytime.

Although the Dollies have the best snow making in the world, it is lower and sunniet. Late skiing - April is a risk and can be slush everywhere except for the few pistes above 2500m
ski holidays
I wonder how much the skiing experience in the Dolomites has changed since this thread was first posted almost a decade ago?

I imagine the lift system and snow making have improved massively. It’s only 3 years since my first visit and those features were already strong by then.

Although infrastructure across the 3V has also improved since 2010, I sense the change has been slower. They started the noughties from a pretty strong base though. Overall costs have risen relatively more than standards of service, in my experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy