Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated seats in the chairlifts

Poster: A snowHead
Heated chairlifts seem to be common sights in many parts of the Austrian Alps.

Last week I was in Bad Gastein where a couple of gondolas have been recently replaced/added.

I was surprised to find that the Austrian even provide heated seats inside the gondolas!

On heated chairlifts I notice each lift has two condcutors near the top, some pointing uppward which others downward, which make contact with the electric when the chairlift goes around the bottom or top station, apparently for a burst of quick charge. It would appear a battery system must have been provided below the seats. Otherwise the heated chairlifts look no different from the unheated version.

Heated chairlifts are nice in cold weather. I can't see the point of them in gondolas which are fully shielded from the weather. The new Austrian gondolas not only allow the visitors to sit on warm seats but also has internal individual ski rack for each skier too. As usual there is seldom any queue when one skis in Austria!

Found plenty of heated chairlifts in Ski Amade and none during the week in the Italian Dolomites. If Cortina di Ampezzo is the top Italian resort then in term of facilities it is a half generation behind the Austrian. Mind you the sunny weather in Italian Dolomites puts right anything wrong in the infrastructure.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, Fimbabahn at Ischgl has heated seats - I'm not sure I really see the point...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cortinas a top resort for the pouncing about in shops and cafes and maybe on the piste wearing fur, not for the infrastructure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heated seats?! HEATED SEATS!?!?!! Ee, tha dustn't know thar's born! When I were nowt but a nipper we were lucky if had spike in t' chairlift and even then we had to take turns. Lick piste clean wi' t' toong etc etc etc. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, there are a few new ones in Zell this year. Have to say I quite like'em! On the whole I am liking the nice comfy cushioned chairs with built-in posterior heating. I realise this will make me sound namby-pamby, and it wouldn't make me pick one resort, or even one piste, over another, but where they are offered, I like them!

I do wonder how much energy they use/waste though? If they're all re-chargeable through green sources then fair play to'em, but if they're not, and if they are heated regardless of whether anyone is sitting on them (which I suspect they are as empty chairs still melt snow pretty fast), it does seem like a colossal waste of energy.

(Still like them though Confused !)

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd rather have cheap lift passes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They should go the whole hog and install patio heaters, individual ones above each seat, with controls on the bar in front of each passenger. If one runs out of gas the liftie can quickly disconnect, switch and reconnect a bottle of gas as it goes round the end. Brilliant. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feels very nice on the (w)hole
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't say for gondolas, but chairlifts don't have batteries. If you noticed when riding up with them, they are warm only for first few seconds. I would say they are heated when going around bottom station, and are connected to electricity, and when they leave bottom station, and lose electricity connection, they just preserve heat for a little while (longer, if you are sitting on them).
And yes, they do feel nice, especially on day's when it's -20c Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a new one in Mayrhofen (well, Lanersbach) this year to replace the old Lattenalm 2 seater on Eggalm. Look forward to trying it on a cold day. In April. Maybe not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz, that makes sense, and makes me worry a little less about actual heat being delivered to empty chairs half way up the lift! Still probably not that environmentally friendly, but still equally rather nice on a cold snowy day.

D
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More sensible just to have heated underpants!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
primoz,

You are probably right. I suppose it is possible to charge it up for a 10 or 20 seconds at a station so that the heat is retained temporarily inside the insulation material of the seat. It makes sense too as lift company would not like to set the client's bottom on fire accidentally.

Don't think a lot a energy is needed. It feels warm because our back side is near the ambient temperature so anything above the ambient could make us feel warm.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It might be to stop them having to brush down every chair after some snow or while it is snowing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
I'd rather have cheap lift passes.

bingo.
snow report
It's all wrong!!!

A cold backside never hurt anyone
ski holidays
Im sure narc, is right its got more to do with saving the lifties the job of cleaning off each seat in the morning and after heavy snow, way safer than trying to do it with the lifts running Toofy Grin You can have the lift up and running a lot fater that way and with less staff required. Im sure the comfort thing is a definte secondary consideration LOL

Quote:

More sensible just to have heated underpants

Only problem is short circuits and the possible consequences rolling eyes

Liar liar pants on fire Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Found plenty of heated chairlifts in Ski Amade and none during the week in the Italian Dolomites

saikee,
Not sure how it works in Ski Amade but in nearby Obertauern I was speaking to one of the instructors.
Apparently the lifts are owned by individuals or families usually and they get paid a percentage fo the lift pass takings according to how many people use their lift. (All computerised) This provides a great incentive to make the lifts as fast and popular as they can to maximise their takings. Hence heated seats etc.
snow conditions
I first made contact with a heated chairlift seat in Lech where young Harry and William learned to ski. It was profoundly moving to think that the chair I was sitting on had once warmed the Royal ar*es. (Any ambiguity detected in the last sentence is entirely intentional wink .)
snow report
andytb wrote:
There's a new one in Mayrhofen (well, Lanersbach) this year to replace the old Lattenalm 2 seater on Eggalm. Look forward to trying it on a cold day. In April. Maybe not.

The first one I ever came across was in the Zillertal, the 8 seater at Kaltenbach, which was there in Jan 2006 at least, maybe earlier.

kevindonkleywood wrote:
Im sure narc, is right its got more to do with saving the lifties the job of cleaning off each seat in the morning and after heavy snow, way safer than trying to do it with the lifts running You can have the lift up and running a lot fater that way and with less staff required. Im sure the comfort thing is a definte secondary consideration LOL

I don't think so. Every heated chairlift I have come across also has bubble covers, so no need for the lifties to clear snow off the seats.
snow report
alex_heney, I don't think so either. Most modern, padded seat lifts, often with bubbles are detachable and stored inside at night.
snow conditions
Maybe I'm unusual, but I actually like the cold of a chairlift. I ski so hard that I get pretty warm by the time I reach the bottom of a hill, so I'm never bothered by low temperatures. For the same reason I dislike gondolas - nasty sweaty things that force you to delayer your clothing.

Perhaps the softies who need heated seats, chairlift bubbles, gondolas, etc should ski harder or buy some better gear.
ski holidays
the last five or six years have been so warm, generally, that unheated chairlifts aren't usually a problem for me. But in 2002, when we had several weeks of -15, and this January, when we've also had some very cold days, I must admit that a heated chair would have been quite welcome, and probably kept me out skiing for longer.
latest report
I like the comfy padded chair lift seats, but can't really see the point of heating them. Of all the parts of the body that are potentially going to get cold, my fat posterior is quite possibly the least likely to do so. Laughing
snow report
Yay another way to warm up the environment around the little snow we have left.

MAN THE F$%K UP
ski holidays
I see the heated seats in the chairlifts as the attention the resort owner provides for his/her visitors. There is no law aginst not using them if one prefer something else.

In Neseko I have sat on a sigle chair that has no footrest or lateral restraint. The safety is by embracing the singe vertical steel member of the chair. I don't think many parents would let their children going up such a chairlift which I think can be dangerous.

I know one can get pretty warm when skiing hard late in the season but there are colder time at the start of the season too. Also in some resorts some chairlifts are located at exposed positions, slow and long. The chairlift that I would like to have warm seat is the one from La Thuile going back to La Rosiere. It is quite miserable to be blown by strong bitter wind or blizzard for an extended duration and that chairlift for some reason is seemingly slow.

Having already paid the ski pass and given the choice of a heated or unheated chairlift I would go for the former.

May be I have got used to all these conveniences. I don't need heated seat in the car if it has fabric seats but for leather seats it is essential especially the vehicle is parked outside.
snow conditions
Well you get to a certian age and you are not sure if its a heated chair or if you have just wet yourself Laughing
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
I don't need heated seat in the car if it has fabric seats but for leather seats it is essential especially the vehicle is parked outside.

Essential Puzzled Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a saying we have in NZ, which I think applies in this case.

"Take a spoonful of concrete and harden the f**k up"

A heated chairlift sounds surreal when a ski lift here can be a few hundred feet of rope pulled by something massey ferguson built in in 1957

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 5-02-10 9:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The chair pads are heated for a few seconds in the station, and it is a tiny amount of energy compared to the drive system. It's a little luxury that means people who feel the cold can get some respite from weather, just like bubbles. If sitting on an exposed, fixed grip chairlift for 10 mins in a bitterly cold wind is your idea of fun then I'm sure your resort of choice still has one for you to indulge. wink
snow conditions
That's what makes men of you hang11. And I long for a return to the days of leather boots, leather gloves and non-goretex clothing. Nothing more toughening of a man than being cold, soaked and miserable. rolling eyes
snow conditions
ccl wrote:
That's what makes men of you hang11. And I long for a return to the days of leather boots, leather gloves and non-goretex clothing. Nothing more toughening of a man than being cold, soaked and miserable. rolling eyes

And 20 people on a hill on a powder day, pristine back country environment, and lift passes that cost less than a slab of beer wink

FWIW I've never owned Goretex clothing, my snowboard boots are made of leather, and the only gloves that can cope with a rope tow are leather Very Happy
latest report
Hmm. Earlier this season, I was in a resort with a lot of surface lifts. Wouldn't delight the must-have-fast-chair-lifts-with-heated-seats brigade. And I must admit the was a long Poma which was a bit of a pain. That was more than compensated for by the hour-long off-piste skiing in remote valleys which were accessed. No mountain restaurants in the valleys - not surprising since we were the only people around, most of the time. Some of the best skiing I have come across - with a really cheap lift pass. Depends what you want , I suppose.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy