Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not long until Fernie! Where to ski (and eat)?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Fernie on 20th Feb Very Happy .

Any views on unmissable runs? Best powder stashes? We're staying in the town - any recommended restaurants?

Only there for a week but we get 7 days skiing. Also planning on a day or two at Castle Mountain and we've booked a day catskiing. Might also end up trying Kimbereley.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best lunch is Thai Chicken soup at the coffee shop ( I am not joking when I say this is the best lunch I have had in Canada) and lounging in the Lizard creek next to the fire.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gryphea Cheers! But what coffee shop? And where?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Old Elevator was good when we were there Smile along with Rip 'n' Richard.

Best lunch we had was at the Organic Market ( I say lunch was around 4 in afternoon before we moved to Castle ) beef and barley stew you could stand a spoon up in. Dirt cheap too Toofy Grin

If you are going to Castle for a couple of days stay over at a B+B rather than drive back. Filll the car at CrowsNest Pass rather than Fernie - so much cheaper. Alberta tax is a lot less than BC and the fuel is priced for tourists in Fernie !! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, I think gryphea means Slopeside.

I'd definitely second the Old Elevator, and as for unmissable runs/powder stashes - errm - best advice is to be brave in your traversing! Tons of stuff to find and everything funnels you back to a lift.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, DaveC,

Yup think that is where I meant. Under Cornerstone lodge.

Very jealous. Am missing Fernie!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to all for the tips and hints.

Realised that after my OP the date was wrong - we go on the 13th!!

Quote:

If you are going to Castle for a couple of days stay over at a B+B rather than drive back

Itinerary & accommodation now sorted:

Arrival evening: Calgary to Claresholm for a night there.
Ski Day 1: Castle Mtn then drive to Fernie for 5 nights.
Ski days 2 and 3: Fernie.
Ski day 4: Catskiing (Fernie Wilderness Adventures).
Ski days 5&6: Fernie then drive to Pincher Creek for the night.
Ski day 7: Castle Mtn. followed by drive to Calgary Airport.

gryphea:
Quote:

Very jealous. Am missing Fernie!

We've never been - so can't wait. Can't you just pop to Fernie just about every weekend Smile ??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,

Quote:

We've never been - so can't wait. Can't you just pop to Fernie just about every weekend ??

Well you would think so wouldn't you? But we enrolled the kids in a more local ski club so we are there every sunday. I reckon we really need to buy a place in Fernie and enroll them in ski club there. We remain about $300K short (assuming a condo cost $300K) though...............

Still off to Panorama on weds!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Still off to Panorama on weds!!

Still, off to Yad Moss tomorrow - one of our favourite (local) ski areas:-

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/current.aspx

Oh - and then off to Fernie with Mountainaddict next weekend. Can't wait! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gryphea, could always rent it to trustworthy seasonal bums to recoup some of the cost NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, Old Elevator for me as well, also Yamagoya Japanese if it is still open! Catskiing rocks that should be awesome, was luky enough to go to Powder Cowboy just down the road a few years ago. Worth taking an instructor out for steep and deep they will show you the goods.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC,

You are right, but that still makes me short , what $296000?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister,

Yad moss Looks good.

mountainaddict, Bergmeister, Sounds like a great trip. Please report back (especially on Castle.............)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea, Castles a great little mountain - but can be windswept and cold if windy. We had -24 + windchill when we were there, but on the plus side it had snowed the day and night before and there were bluebird skies Smile Theres some easy terrain but you can find some knarly stuff too.

Its a very friendly mountain, so much so the lifties give you a hug in the morning and thankyou for skiing their mountain Madeye-Smiley A very small base area and nothing around it for a few miles - knowing your location you deffinately should visit, grab a cheap B+B close by - say Beaver Mines. The lifts were quiet all day Smile
Base area - run back from here is to follow the track through the trees, you can just see someone elses tracks. Madeye-Smiley

Empty Pistes Smile

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A very good curry place in town. Cannot remember the name. Embarassed The Old elevator is good.
snow conditions
Curry Bowl - excellent Thai curries etc. Another vote for Old elevator too.
snow report
Cheers to all for the responses so far.

5 days and counting Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!
ski holidays
Quote:

Bones

Thanks for the photos.

Looks excellent and I can't wait!! Very Happy Very Happy

A bit of a contrast to the 3 Valleys at New Year! wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-02-10 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bones,

Thanks for piccies. Castle looks great and we may have to skive off kids ski club in order to do a weekend there!
snow report
Castle does inded look excellent - but wonder what it'll be like in the gloomy and snowy weather which looks to be setting in for the duration of our trip Puzzled (according to Accuweather.com for Fernie.....)
ski holidays
mountainaddict,

This doesn't look too gloomy?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0094
ski holidays
gryphea That's more like it - especially as we are catskiing on Wed 17th!

3 days ago the Accuweather forecast for Fernie (town) included disturbing words such as "rain, ice changing to rain, freezing rain and sleet......"
snow report
mountainaddict, But rain in the town often means snow on the hill Toofy Grin
snow conditions
11cm of awesome today Very Happy Finally got some snow! Here's hoping it's the start...
snow report
DaveC, Similar thing happened around this time last year, well about ten days later IIRC Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
another 15 today, bit wet but super fun. Hoping another pow day coincides with a day off...
ski holidays
mountainaddict, stoatsbrother (who has already replied), and Sharkymark seem to be experts on Fernie and unable to not mention the resort for more than 5 minutes at a time so may be useful to speak to them. Apparently, according to said people, Fernie is the most awesome place ever, should you get the right snow. Hope you have a good time!
ski holidays
I like the idea of Fernie, but having to buy 3 meals a day kind of makes it expensive...not to mention the lift pass!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't trust weather forecasts more than about 3 days in advance...

Here is an example of how forecasts have changed for Banff for this coming Sunday..

On Monday - Mixed sun and cloud with a high of about 2C
On Wednesday night - Cloudy with snow and a high of -12 C and a low of -13C
Thursday - Sunny and a high of -8 with a low of -20..
ski holidays
Hi we own a condo in Fernie, (in the middle of selling)so been a few times, still not an expert on the skiing though, I play it safe and stick to pistes! Check out this web page though http://www.redtree.com/far

Agree with Old Elevator and Curry Bowl, also liked Rip N Richards, we enjoy the Lizard Creek and Kelseys up at the hill. If you like wings check out wings night in various pubs, know Park Place Lodge does them, and according to Fernie tourism page it is a Tuesday night. Fernie Hotel is always worth a visit in my book!

Definately take in a hockey game, it's fab! Games usually on Wed and Sat if I recall correctly and nothing changed. Fernie Ghostriders are the local team, it can get pretty crazy, apart from the fights I've saw some aussies running naked across the ice, and one year throwing fish onto the ice was the craze!

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Enjoy it, Fernie is a fab town Where are you staying?
snow report
Ah just noticed this was a 2010 original post but was bumped up today!!
latest report
The Sunday brunch at Lizard Creek is great if you are a big eater.
+1 Yamagoya Japanese.

Skiing the Glades was my favorite.
ski holidays
dave_m, you don't have to have three square meals. Usually I'd just grab a bagel in the morning and have a sandwich in my pack or pick something snacky up on the hill for lunch. In saying that, food is very reasonably priced even at the poor exchange rates we have just now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy