Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ali Ross

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[qote="Villz"]Anyone had lessons with him, at Tignes or elsewhere? Would be interested to know. Am considering booking a week's course with him[/quote]

I spent several winters in the 70's working in Wengen and Ali used to ski with some of us on his days off. He used to wear yellow trousers with blue knees, and would yell at us to "watch my knees". He was regarded as the best instructor in Wengen - quite something when you are surrounded by hotshot Swiss skiers. I wish he still had the big black bushy beard!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janecullinan, welcome to snowheads. snowHead That's a great first post!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ali Ross, watched his video (the newish one) recently. Great stuff. Keeps it so simple. And read his book from the 80s. Excellent stuff too. Makes me want to go out and ski right now!
soon... snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got the DVD (courtesy of last years Snowheads draw) and it is very good. I'm taking it with me this winter and am going to try to follow the programme as suggested.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

This is the book (1974, republished 1983 and 1986) that helped Ali Ross become famous, because he taught the then editor of the Sunday Times, Harold Evans, and two other prominent ST writers, to ski. Well worth picking up on the secondhand market for a few quid:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Evans&bi=0&bsi=0&bx=off&ds=30&n=200000169&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&tn=We+Learned+to+Ski&x=68&y=13&prevpage=2

Ali was my trainer on the BASI course in 1975 on Cairngorm. A superb teacher, with a way of explaining the rudiments of skiing in simple logical terms that work through each stage of technique. He grew up on a croft, north of Inverness, and originally worked as a truck driver before teaching on Cairngorm and in Wengen. He has great mechanical skills, once used to convert a gas company lorry into a motorhome!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jeeees I did three or four Ali Ross courses way back in the yuppy days of the late 80's I think, Wengen and Meribel if the grey matters allows, and maybe some where else, I always remember saying with his method you'd still be skiing well into your 70's and use to admire his dear lady wife floating down a bump field like a butterfly and arriving at the bottom not at all out of breath.

I also did encounter his darker side when we'd all been hammering it in Mary's cafe after skiing and we walked back to Wengen, again all a wee bit hazy but seem to recall it all being a little tense when some one tried to make a constructive critique rolling eyes

In more recent years I've been very impressed with what I think is the modern day equivalent of him, Darren Turner, and in fact he's sold well over 90,000 apps and ironic in that the Sunday Times either last season or the season before partnered with him - so check his channel out at http://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia

Wonder if Ali is carving new school or not Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ali's back in Tignes. Had a quick chat with him last Saturday

Weathercam,
Quote:
Wonder if Ali is carving new school or not

Didn't Ali invent 'New School carving' Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 2p. Back in the dark days of the 1970s ski tuition was rubbish, and there weren't even many decent people you could copy. Ski schools were places people spent their whole time on snow, without ever learning to ride. They taught you how to snow plough and stem, which no one ever wanted to do.

Then one day I found this book by this weird guy who cleared all the BS out of the way and simply explained the mechanics of skiing. Rocket science it isn't, but I'd not seen or heard anyone before then who had the barest clue about mechanics. And that was all I needed - once I understood the system, I didn't need all those useless badge wearing people to confuse with their lore and craft. I just ignored all their crap, stuck those suckers on edge and they turned.

A year or five later the same mechanics helped me switch to snowboarding in a few hours. So yeah, if I was on the market for lessons, I can't think of anyone I'd go to ahead of him. Please buy him a beer from me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam, Darren Turner is great; I had a lesson with him last year after admiring his clear and concise videos. He also makes it fun
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ali is still teaching in Tignes. There are two people who have had a major influence on British skiing. Ali Ross and John Shedden. All of the core of the BASI ski teaching system stems from these two. Have no fear, tuition from either of them would be of greater benefit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy