Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Edge angles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski Edge angles I am thinking of increasing the edge angles on my skis from 89 to 87 degrees as I have trouble holding an edge on hard packed snow. Will it make much difference? And will the edge be much easier to damage Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the first thing you should do is have a stance assessment done. It is more likley that you are standing on an inverted ski. This means that your ski is angled more to the outside and will require you to make a much larger inward angulation to achieve the edge hold that you are looking for. The result is that you cannot maintain the edge throughout the turn. Proper alignment is really important and before you change the bevel on your ski edge it should be checked first. If you have a neutral alignment(defined as 1 degree everted or inward edged ski) then altering you ski tune may help with the edge hold. if you can find someone who can do a progressive bevel even better. This is a hand file that increases the edge angle progressivley from shovel to tail and then back again so that you have edge where you need it and not where you dont....
be careful that if you have a cant alignment performed that they assess not only the center of knee mass but the ski angle as it addresses the snow. Often times techs only focus on the knee alignment and screw up the ski angle.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glen Charman, if your "neutral" stance is ok as per post above, have someone look at your lateral balance.

Are you any good at the exercise where one picks the inside ski up off the snow?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glen Charman, yes and yes, on top of which you may have skis which suffer from lateral deflection (twisting).

Spyderjon is your man, either around here by searching the forum or visiting www.jonsskituning.co.uk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glen Charman, your stance is fine and lateral balance single ski exercises we worked on you were pretty good at, we did talk about getting your alignment checked if you recall but i didnt see any major issues.

i would definately recommend 87 as i found a much improved edge hold and minimal if any additional wear, they do get a bit more bashed up on rock hits though imo. , i cant recommend progressive edge angles, sounds a bit complicated to me but i havent tried it so shouldnt really comment.

comprex, i had a week coaching with Glen and you are right to ask the question but he made good progress on balance and i think would benefit from an increased edge angle.. he was on rossi b2's which might be a bit lackluster on ice but we had hero snow all week..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glen Charman, I did this with my Rossis on Spyderjon's recommendation and noticed a dramatic improvement in edge hold on hard pack, go for it snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, gotcha, sounds like Glen Charman is on the right track then, thanks for immediately clearing that up!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glen Charman, I would be more worried about getting the technique right first. At 87 they will get damaged easier and nicked quicker than at 90
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank for all the advice I’m going to see CEM late in the year for new boots and alignment thing I think I will try 87 degree edge angle I know Spyderjon recommends it on his web site Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy